what tablet should I purchase?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Frank, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zuljian

Zuljian Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all,

I am currently in search of a good tablet, that will be good for all of my needs.

Student: I am a college student who needs a tablet that will be able to last long, and will be good for note taking.

Gaming: I am a gamer and I am wondering how well this tablet can handle games like Warcraft 3, and other Blizzard games, no WoW though.

Speed: I need a laptop that is pretty fast on application loading, and internet browsing. I do not want to be sitting in one place for an hour.

I was looking at the Dell Latitude XT, because my parents wanted the stupid on-site, but it didn't look that good, really expensive, and pretty bad reviews.

I wanted the Asus R1E-B1, but I heard there are some problems with that also, some people said they had to send it in a lot on the reviews, but that could have been the R1F.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. grajohnson75

grajohnson75 Scribbler - Standard Member

I would stay away from the Dell Latitude XT... it's a pretty slow computer and probably won't fufill your needs. The Asus R1E is a nice computer but has it's problems like the rest of them. It also has a plastic casing that probably won't last you too long unless you use it very carefully. If you can live without gaming, the Lenovo x61t is very nice little laptop. It's casing is very sturdy and it should last you a long time. Fujitsu tablet pc's are also very solidly constructed but again, they are not really meant for games. If gaming is really important to you then I recommend the HP TX2500 - it's GPU is excellent and can handle most anything you throw at it. The build quality of this machine is... average. It has it's flaws as well so be sure to read the reviews on this site. The Gateway C140xl also can handle more modern games but unfortunately, Gateway no longer sells them so you would have to track one down on ebay or something.

Hope this helps!!

3. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

what with everyone wanting to play games on their tablet?

4. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Warcraft 3 should run with no problems on the HP Pavilion tx2500 series and its ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3200 IGP graphics; a system with the Intel GMA X3100 should run it fine as well -- probably 50-60 fps. In case you ask about StarCraft II, I doubt that the X3100 will be able to handle it, the HD 3200 IGP is questionable at best until solid system requirements are released.

I do, however, agree with kpvic that Tablet PCs weren't designed for gaming, but regardless they are capable for satisfying the occasional gamer, but not the "hardcore gamer" who may run such games like Crysis at very high settings.

A system with the fastest processor doesn't equal having a long battery life, if you were to fill out the Tablet PC Questionnaire, it would greatly help the community members here to understand your definition of long battery life. Thanks!

5. Se7enLawliet

Se7enLawliet Pen Pal - Newbie

I can confirm that War3 ran fantastically on the tx2500 with 2.1gh and 3gigs of ram. With everything on high as well....

6. sooch90

sooch90 Pen Pal - Newbie

anyone know how well warcraft 3 runs on the xt? just out of curiousity, it won't have an affect on whether i buy the pc or not (because i already did buy it!)

i'm actually trying to avoid playing any games in college, but i'm interested in maybe playing a game or so with my friends over the summer.

7. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

Yeah the tx2500 is basically the only answer for anyone wanting to do relatively decent gaming on their laptop. This is what desktops are for though. spend $300 and get a refurbished desktop computer off of futureshop.ca and get a $20 CRT monitor off of craigslist and you are set for gaming :p.

8. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Warcraft 3 will run fine on the XT,
    because it runs fine on my tablet PC which has the same ULV CPU but the slower X3100 graphics card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.