What Tablet Should I buy (inevitable software design edition thread)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by poetdante, Feb 16, 2006.

1. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The m400 is 4.5lb. lighter than a lot of tablets. you might want to make sure it is well built with the review though.

2. Daring

Daring Moderator

It is true that the M400 has "a weight starting at 4.5 lbs depending on configuration". Not exactly sure what that means, but I'd assume you could get a M400 that would be under 5 lbs for certain. The common misconception about the M400 is that it's default configuration is not dual core. The $1699 tablet they are selling is single core with integrated video. Not a bad tablet to be sure, especially considering price, but it is not a huge technological leap forward over what is available today. If you configure one with the dual core and all other options the same as the $1699 model the cost jumps to about $2000, still not a bad deal.

Size wise it is about the same as the HP. The M400 is 11.6x9.8x1.53 and the HP is 11.22x9.25x1.35. A bit bigger in all dimensions, but you do get the built in DVD drive.

The only issue with the M400 is availability and does it live up to expectations. While early reviews will be in soon, more long term quality/reliability results are 6 months or more down the road.

3. GadgetMoogle

GadgetMoogle Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I noticed the core / core duo dispairity. Should be a simple choice to upgrade for those with the funds, and everything I've seen on Core Duo heat dispersion would indicate it's not going to be more of a problem than Centrino is now (the benefit of the die shrink, mostly).

I have to admit for the time being (I'd hope a refresh could be soon?) the T4020 seems a bit more useful with the optical being swappable for a battery.

Anybody who would want to chime in in favor of the T4020 or X41? I've done my best to read up on those models but it's a bit hard to seperate the review words from the personal opinions when it comes to things like the X41 hard drive or the relative portability of the T4020.

4. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

my biggest concern about dual core is the battery. that is why I am waiting for the review to make some opinions. reviews around here are excellent. this place totally had the battery on my r15 nailed./