What Tablet PC Should I Buy Form: Need update?

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by RazzNuts, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi,

I noticed the informations in this form is no longer current for today,:confused:

The screen specifics section for instance:

• Widescreen/non-widescreen ->Any tablet after 2007 with non-widescreen?
    • The screen resolution as old as XGA is still being listed, while the WUXGA, which is used by almost all new tablets isn't there.
    • Touch -> Wacom multi-touch isn't there in explanation.
    • Resistive digitizer -> what?
    • Screen size -> I've seen bunch of people asking for a 14" tablet, while it is fairly certain that the good old one and only 14" tablets will not satisfy their requirements.

Explanation should be added on this section.
    :D

I understand that some people might be still looking for a older generation refurb tablet, so the old specification is still relevant for them, but most what-to-buy threads I've been came across are asking for the current tablet. Shouldn't we provide buyer with the current informations?

So, any chance to revise the form?:)

Regards,

Razz

2. RazzNuts

No admin/mod that has any thought about this? ???

3. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sorry RazzNuts, I read it a few days ago, liked the ideas but hadn't time to answer and forgot this thread in the meantime, sorry:

Yes, all future mainstream tablets are widescreen, so I think this point is redundant and should get removed, especially because you select in the next point (resolution) if you want widescreen or not. And if anyone does not want a widescreen then he knows it and will post it, for the rest this point just confuses.

XGA does still get used by some tablets, even currently produced ones. SXGA+ is dying, but used ones are still available.
    And WXGA is the currently used standard.
    WUXGA however is 1920x1200, sadly no tablet has a display with such a high resolution.

The whole touch thing should get reworked.

Display size: Yes, 14" tablets don't get produced, still they exist, but because the usual answer always is that 13.3" is the largest available display this should be altered to 13.3". If someone wants a larger display then he will tell it us and we can answer that only the old Gateways used a 14" display.

So here's how I would do it. Please correct any mistakes, add things, remove things, just optimize this draft:
    I highlighted the changes if possible and have rewritten the whole Explanation section, so expect a lot grammatical mistakes :p

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. RazzNuts

Hi, nvm Frank. :)

Whoa, that's NICE, Frank. so detailed. :D :D
    I liked the pros and cons.

btw, the mainly used resolution by now is WUXGA (1280 x 800) not WXGA (1280 x 768).

I guess some quick fact about multi-touch technology will help new buyer a lot. :).

I also thought about explanation about tablets form factor and the processor they use (i.e UV/ULV vs normal) and the consequence to the battery lifespan.

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  5. Frank

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wide_XGA

WUXGA = 1920x1200

WXGA =
    1280×720 Monitors 16:9
    1280×768 Monitors 15:9 (5:3)
    1280×800 Monitors 16:10 (8:5)
    1360×768 LCD TVs 16:9 (approx.)
    1366×768 LCD and PLASMA TVs and some laptop monitors 16:9 (approx.)

and if you visit a manufacturers website then you'll see that they call the used display WXGA, too.

Multi-Touch, ok, but what shall we tell them? I also currently don't know how well the N-Trig multi touch works. Wacom supports 2 fingers, should support more later. But N-Trig? Do they have working drivers for Win 7 at all?

Form factor and processor, again I don't know exactly what to write, I also don't know what AMD currently produces.
    We also have the second thread Tablet PC FAQ General Index (New to Tablet PCs? Read Me!)
    Maybe it would be better to write this in the linked thread and thus rewrite the linked thread.
    Maybe the best would be to add the whole explanation to the linked thread and just add a hyperlink in the currently processed thread.

So we have one FAQ thread and one with the form.
    At the moment it's a bit a mess.

6. RazzNuts

Frank, any chance to update the Tablet PC FAQ also?

you see the T900 is actually has been sent to FCC.
    update on i7 section :D

7. RazzNuts

Ah Sorry, I stand corrected. :D it's WSXGA.

Well, such as the possibility to do specific gesture, and I mean we should emphasize the no. finger the digitizer support. hmm.. N-trig has has beta driver for Windows 7, maybe it's worth to be mentioned also?

Yeah, I think link to the tablet PC FAQ will do.

8. Frank

We can update everything. But anyone has to do it :) So feel free to start it :p

The core i7 is already on the list, but the T900 is not official at the moment and we don't know if it really is a tablet as we think, because the FCC informations don't seem that correct. A Core i7 is not a Core 2 Duo and the T5010 uses a Core 2 Duo instead of a Core Duo. So better wait until the T900 gets released officially. And maybe is the T900 just a codename, because T900 just does not fit to the currently used naming scheme. Why not T5020 or T5110?

I don't have time to rewrite it at the moment maybe after christmas or after new year I have time for it. In the meantime you and others can start optimizing it and post things they would like to see in the FAQ thread.

Things like different panels (AFFS+, IPS, MVA, TN, ...), improved processor list, improved tablet PC list, such things. We can also think about a huge list with all available tablet PC's, maybe an Excel document which we then insert as an image in the thread.

9. RazzNuts

The tabulated form would surely make things tidier, nice idea.

Well, you're right anyone can try to improve it. Not saying one person should do it.

Tnx for your quick reply. I appreciated that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.