What Tablet PC Should I Buy? (Art)

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Art_N00b, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

Up to $2,000

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

Yes.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

Flexible. Undecided. Perhaps requirements below will help. Feel free to advise!

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?

12" - 15"

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

Flexible.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

Not many. Around 3.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Sketching and painting. Apps: Sketchbook Pro, Photoshop. Maybe ArtRage, PaintTool SAI, MyPaint

Plenty of web surfing. Some email.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

Flexible as long as I can run Sketchbook Pro and Photoshop both of which run on Mac and Windows. I doubt that Android or iOS would match the digital sketching and painting experience that I want.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

Already mentioned above.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

No games.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

Not a requirement.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

Nothing specific. Higher is better.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?

Outdoors would be nice, but not a strict requirement. Most use will be indoors.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?

Yes, a pen is a requirement. Pressure sensitivity is a requirement. I have used Wacom tables in the past. I have not used N-trig.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

I'm guessing hard drive needs to be at least 100GB and memory 4GB. I want the drive to be solid state (SSD). Traditional hard drives are the performance bottleneck on every machine I've owned in the past 10 years.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

Any size USB is acceptable. I don't require HDMI, but I wouldn't mind it.

Misc

1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

I require wi-fi.

I'm curious about what buttons and/or sliders are available when drawing and if they can be programmed.

A soft requirement: I want it to be comfortable to kick back in a chair, sofa, bed, whatever and sketch. I don't want to be anchored to a desk.

I won't be walking around with the tablet much. Once I settle in for a sketch or painting, that's where I'll stay.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

I prefer to have multi-touch too.

Since I don't need this for work, I have the option of getting something now or waiting several weeks if there is some advantage to doing so (upcoming models, new developments in tablet pcs, etc.).

TIA for any insights!

2. emyr

emyr Pen Pal - Newbie

hi,
    im glad i found this thread :D im looking for at 2 slates right now the sony vaio duo 11 and the samsung series 7. i need some insights on which is better for digital art purposes. i hope you could help me out.. thanks:thumbsup:

3. SpiralMagus

SpiralMagus Pen Pal - Newbie

Art_N00b - with a $2000 budget the Fujitsu T902 would probably be a good fit for your needs. It's pretty much the top option right now for a 13.3" screen art machine with a Wacom digitizer if you're buying new. 1600x900 screen resolution. It doesn't come standard with a SSD but it's easy to add one as an option.

I got one of these just this week and have been very pleased with it so far.

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of new devices that are above 12" screen size. If you're up for getting older models or used / refurbs you have some other options (Fujitsu T901 for example) but I don't know as much about the older stuff so I'm not sure what else to recommend.

4. Art_N00b

Thanks SpiralMagnus. Poking around I also found the Stylistic Q702:
    Fujitsu America - STYLISTIC® Q702 Hybrid Tablet PC

It's a smaller screen than I would like, but it can also be detached from the keyboard which is a boost to my soft requirement of using this in casual settings. It also comes with an SSD.

I hadn't really thought much about detaching the keyboard, but now that I see that, I really like it!

In many ways the T902 looks nice, but a default 5400rpm drive? Not for $2K!

But the Q702 maxes out at an i5 processor (i5-3427U to be specific). On the other hand, this is the CPU that Apple upgraded the MacBook Air this past summer, and people do run PhotoShop on it. But I don't really know if it can keep up with custom brushes and lots of layers even after poking around the web... Anyone have an idea?

@emyr, what do you think of the Fujitsu offerings vs. what you are currently looking at?

5. Art_N00b

Woops, the Q702 uses an N-trig pen which no artist seems happy with--although this is a new model.

6. SpiralMagus

The T902 comes in a few different configurations - the one I got was this one on Laptop Authority, which has a 7200 RPM 500 GB drive as standard, for $1899. I'm not sure about ordering directly from Fujitsu as you'd pay a lot more that way.

Also you might look at Computer Upgrade King if you're considering the T902 - as they apparently can do custom upgrades according to what you want (even an SSD drive), for reasonable prices. For example you could have them swap in a 256 GB SSD and it would come out to $1960. I've not dealt with this company but they seem to have a good reputation on Ebay.

If you're thinking of the 11.6" slate form factor (with attachable keyboard) there are a whole lot of other options to consider - for example the Samsung Ativ Smart PC Pro 700T (it uses Wacom) and others.

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

you should really be putting your own SSD in anyway. It's cheaper. Also, your own RAM. It takes a couple minutes, it won't void your warranty or anything like that, and it's easy.

However, for your uses you may not need the T902. It isn't really ideal for holding in one hand and drawing like a slate would be, I use it to work all day (draw, paint, animate...) and I do work on my couch or in coffee shops.. but I have a small laptop stand that tilts so I can eleate it off my lap, and hold it ergonomically while drawing. It's quite comfortable (more comfy than trying to use my Cintiq) but it required me to look for a way to sustain long drawing sessions like that, a samsung ATIV 700t could probably just work on the couch without any extra thought. I also think it would be powerful enough for painting and drawing. The extra ram upgradeable in a T902 would be nice for large photoshop files, but you may get along fine with 4gigs.

good luck hunting! I still say avoid Ntrig, but some artists find the newer NTrig tech to be satisfactory as long as you dont use Photoshop. deal breaker for me.

8. SpiralMagus

I agree the 700T is maybe a better choice if portability and more casual use is a priority. It's much lighter and I could see it working well for kicking back and drawing on the couch, etc.

stoneseeker - quick question: What stand are you using? I'm looking for ideas for my T902.

9. stoneseeker

I got a generic stand from Staples that essentially just supports it with adequate ventilation and most importantly has adjustable viewing angles. I can use it on a desk or on my lap, and gives me a nice way to grip the unit easier too. It only cost $30.

10. SpiralMagus

Thanks stoneseeker - will check those out.

11. Art_N00b

@SpiralMagnus, @stoneseeker - Thanks for the excellent points. I'm glad I came here.

12. stoneseeker

no problem.

In retrospect though, I would recommend spending a little more on one that also has removable usb powered fans. I think it would be a nice touch for when you are gaming or heavy editing, etc.

Also, mine was the "Fellowes" brand, it was really basic, and I liked the angle it tilted up to, but when I brought it home I had to modify it to fit the computer, as the lip at the bottom was not tall enough to catch the computer from slipping forward. I got a nice piece of thin wood and drilled it in place to increase the size of the catch.

There was a nice bamboo one at Staples with fans that I think I would have gone for now that I have had more time with it.

13. SpiralMagus

No problem - glad to help!
    Good point - yeah I think having an optional USB fan might be useful. I'll probably check out my local Staples and other office stores and see what they have. Thanks for the ideas!

14. Art_N00b

How can you reliably tell which tablet PC's use wacom vs. n-trig vs. whatever. I never see this information listed in the specs even on the manufacturer's web site. I only seem to get the information second hand from other users, but I don't know where they get it. Well in one case, a guy took his wacom pen to the store and tried the pen on a demo unit.

Otherwise, how do you tell?

15. stoneseeker

Often times review sites will confirm the pen tech, even though manufacturers seem lost on the idea that some people consider digitizer brand a dealvbreaker.
    The easiest way is asking on these boards usually. Or calling the manufacturer. Lame, but sadly, it is not considered important or notable to the common consumer, so it's just hard to find.

16. Art_N00b

Wow, everything is out of stock. No T902's with the i7. No ATIV 700t ...

Maybe I'll get a little Galaxy Note 10.1 to play with and get the tablet pc sometime next year.

17. stoneseeker

T902's are selling for good prices on Ebay.

18. Art_N00b

Wow, only $60 and I think the battery on this one would last forever:
    Antique 1920s 15" T902 Wooden Ford Model T Steering Wheel | eBay (ebay)

Okay, just playing, but it was the first search result for "T902"! :)

Everything on eBay right now is the i5, not the i7. I presume the i7 is back logged right now.

I actually pulled the trigger on the Galaxy Note 10.1. The 311 reviews on Amazon average 4.6 out of 5 stars which is fantastic for any tablet (or any computer for that matter). Things that people seemed to love:
    * performance
    * the S Pen
    * the palm rejection when using the pen
    * the microSD slot
    * battery life
    * videos, netflix, etc.

Artists were happy with it. I collected a list of programs that they use. The top two seem to be Sketchbook Pro and Layer Paint.

$608.30 after +16GB storage, taxes, CA electronic recycle fee and expedited shipping.

Interestingly people noted that reviews from web sites and ezines were mediocre or even poor, but that they didn't match their experience using it.

The screen is smaller than what I originally had in mind.

One complaint was that the case could get creaky after awhile. Though most people did not find that to be a deal breaker given the other things they loved.

I'll see how it all works out. I can't wait to get my hands on it!

19. SpiralMagus

Congrats on the purchase! I've heard a lot of good things about the Galaxy Note 10.1 and I'm sure it's a quite capable machine for light-duty sketching and painting. If I were going to get an Android tablet - that would be the one I'd get.

Let us know how it turns out!

20. Art_N00b

This may be a bit premature as I've only had it a few days, but the downer with the Galaxy Note seems to be that the Android art apps just aren't "there" yet. In Sketchbook Pro you cannot even select a canvas size! I tried Draw(er) Pro and couldn't even figure out how to use it.

It's a shame because the tablet itself is great. Quad core, great looking screen, accurate pen, light, etc.

Many other software areas are mature including email, youtube, netflix, kindle, etc. But I'm not feeling the art software so far. The cake is still in the oven.

So I'm eyeballing the ASUS VivoTab TF810C which runs regular Windows apps and has a Wacom. It's still reasonably cheap, small and light. Not sure why I didn't consider it before. Maybe I just missed it...

I'll check the forums about it, but any thoughts here?