What tablet is right for me?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by That1Guy, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That1Guy

That1Guy Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been looking for a tablet to use with my computer lately and found convertible tablet computers. They seem like they would be great except that the graphics on the tablet PC wouldn't really be good for alot of stuff... I already have a laptop and a gaming desktop and I couldn't find any tablet or convertible that was able to plug into my computer and use the graphics card from that. I want to write right on the screen so I don't want one of those art tablets that don't have a screen. Cintiq is way too expensive but I found a USB lcd screen tablet (http://www.amazon.com/Brand-Yiynova-Digitizer-Tablet-Display/dp/B005EDNAPU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_2) and this seemed like it would work for me great because it would use my gaming computer or laptop systems instead of a low grade graphics built in but I haven't seen Yiynova brand before.

There isn't much on the tablet or any others from Yiynova, but they also have a 15 inch and 19 inch pen monitor that would work aswell (but just not portable enough to use with my laptop). So I was gunna try out the 10 inch usb tablet and then I saw they have a wireless version of it with better resolution and this would be great, but it is priced at the same as the 19 inch monitor..... I would be using it to mostly read books and write alot (trying to replace filling up notebooks) and some drawing also.

So should I go for the wireless version so I can read and write away from my desk, a monitor so I have more space to write and draw, or the 10 inch usb for portability? Or of-course, if there is a tablet pc or slate I passed up when looking. The prices are 10 in usb = $300 15 inch monitor = $400 19 inch monitor = $500 and wireless 10inch = $500. I have some money saved up and it is the holidays soon so around $500 is going to be my max. Any advice would be helpful

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hello rep from Yiynova. Some feedback for your bosses: $300 for a 10" 1024x600 LCD display is rather steep. If it was $150 or less, I'd be curious enough to check it out, but the price you have is not helping you.

These days, you can find very capable Tablet PC on EBay for $300 (12" LCD with 1280x800 resolution). $300 tablet display that's only 1024x600 is a tough sell in comparison. Not only Tablet PCs, but used Cintiq 15X is around $300~400 as well. Ouch. Unless you have a great customer support structure in the US (doubtful by browsing your website), most people would rather get a used Wacom product than a new unknown product. And that's BEFORE considering the price.

Good luck with pimping your new tablet display. You have a tough job. I don't envy you. I'd be more sympathetic if you came out and said who you are, but this kind of lame viral marketing is fooling nobody and rather annoying as well. Just IMO.

3. That1Guy

Lol, I'm not a rep from yiynova, but that does look like an ad, sorry. I just want something to use my desktop's system instead of something that works slower than my laptop. I didn't really look at used cintiqs because they were expensive to start. I'll check out the 15x. Are used ones usually in pretty good condition? And I would love any tablet pc that would be able to plug into my computer as input aswel but I doubt there is gunna be something like that any time soon. Is there any other kind of plug in display type pen tablets?

4. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, you never said what you were planning on doing with this in the end (art programs? which, if any? 2d and/ or 3d workflow?), but I would still only recommend something made by Wacom as all the other digitizer pens are pretty crappy; and a touch screen with a capacitive/ resistive 'stylus' is even worse... and you can get a lot of performance out of $500 on a Tablet PC (as long as you aren't doing Maya, or 3Ds Max you should be very well served by the power of a Core 2 Duo system), I've even done a bit of 3d modeling and rendering [for fun] on my 2730p and while a little slow it was workable... otherwise a used Cintiq should be ok (most likely it will be in good condition, remember it was probably another artist that either carefully used it, or barely used it before they sold it)... or if you are good with electronics and putting things together you can try taking a Tablet PC's screen and modifying it into a VGA and USB external screen (screen for free-$200 [either as a screen & digitizer, or buy a used Tablet PC and rip the screen and digitizer assembly as one], with a $30 VGA to LVDS adapter, 12V laptop brick, and a usb cable) basically this Bongofish - DIY Cintiq - Part 1

it really depends on what your workflow consists of, how much money you can spend on a system, and what degree of 'slowness you can put up with (a lot of which can be minimized with a clean install of Windows 7 and some tweaking -talking about Tablet PC's here)

5. That1Guy

Well I'm mostly just gunna do basic read and write that I'm sure alot of tablet pcs can do that no problem but I am going to do some 3d modeling and stuff too. I bet I'd break it if I tried to put something together like that so I'm not even gunna try. Like I said I only got up to like $500 and used 15x cintiq is looking like $350-370 so that is an option. But still, any other monitor or plug in display devices out there or is it just cintiq and yiynova (kinda?)? Yiynova also did electromagnetic resonance like wacom so I thought it might not be as bad of a choice then. But the wireless version was great but I'd only get it right away if it was lower price because that seems expensive for a 10 inch display. The cintiq 15x is only 1024 x 768 and the yiynova is 1280 x 800 and a little cheaper... I'm not worried too much about breaking it so used might not be an issue but the other 15 inch is new and has a warrenty even though it will prolly take forever and a few chats with people I can't really understand if anything happens.

6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I would like to read an artists experience with a Yiynova product, but I cant find any. My major concerns would be driver compatibility/support for software (pressure sensitivity working would be pretty important) and accuracy/ease of drawing on it.
    Have you looked at this option?
    Full Kit (Enclosure + LCD + LCD Controller Kit)
    They sell DIY kits that look easy enough to assemble, but it would require that you already own or have access to a Wacom Intuos graphics tablet. Seems kinda neat mostly because you would have all the pressure sensitivity and accuracy of an Intuos 4, and a nice HD screen (on some of them) ... but still kinda pricey, especially if you don't have the graphic tablet already.

7. Shogmaster

Awesome, another Spammer. Two in one thread. Beautiful.

8. jbenham

jbenham Pen Pal - Newbie

Not a first, I'm thinking. :)

9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Actually, sounds like the same fellow to me. That seems a bit low-rent.

If they want to generate some honest buzz surrounding their product line, they would do well to ship some hardware off to reviewers and perhaps the more vocal members of various user forums and trust that their hardware is good enough to warrant a positive response.

I know I'd give it a fair and honest shake. (Which is more than spam offers.)

Contact me through formal channels and I'll forward the appropriate shipping information. :)

Or better yet, send one to mister Jamison Cush. Hardware review falls under his purview, doesn't it?

10. Shogmaster

Hahaha, you're probably right. Shame I can't check the IP address.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.