What software do you use to learn with your tablet PC?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Frank, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm interested in the software you use to learn with your tablet PC.
    What software do you use, how do you use it, how do you learn with the Tablet PC, do you also use paper or books together with your tablet PC, ...

At the moment I only use Bluebeam PDF Revu and Microsoft Ink Flash Cards.
    I keep a split screen to read the script and also take notes on the Flash Cards. I use the snapshot tool in PDF Revu to make a snapshot and copy it to my flash card.
    By the end of the day I review the latest flash cards.

[​IMG]

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

wow Frank you're right, Blubeam definitely looks like its been improving, must try it out again.

Haven't been using my tablet pc for note taking as much as i'm exclusively in the hospital, but before i depended mostly on Onenote, i liked Gobinder too, was really sad when they stopped development on it.

my PDF annotator of choice is Grahl's PDF Annotator, and i also tend to mark up Powerpoint presentations.

3. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I now use Journal instead of Onenote. Onenote drove me crazy by occasionally locking up or scrambling sections of my notes. I use InkBuddy for flashcards. I wish the developer for InkBuddy would continue development or publish his code so others can. I read with PDFRevu if I want to annotate, but I'll use Foxit if I only intend to read and want fullscreen viewing. I use an HP graphing calculator emulator so I don't have to drag along my HP 49G or Ti nSpire everywhere....although I've been dragging around a TI-30XS lately.

I wish MindManager was better for tabletpc's. I like that piece of software when I'm using a keyboard, but hated using it in slatemode. I'll use Sketchbook Pro when I need to get some drawing done. I have a copy of XnView on my thumbdrive to use for processing scanned handouts to pdf's.

4. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

I use OneNote, MS Ink Flash Cards (just started these), Adobe Acrobat Pro, Inkseine, MS PowerPoint and Journal.

I use OneNote for all my classes, and a lot of the rest of my life. I almost refuse to print to paper. I much prefer to just be digital. If I need to keep a receipt from an internet purchase, I print to ON. I have Notebooks for health, finance, shopping, hobbies, car info, computer install notes and every semester of classes. Materials needed for work or rather job searches now too.

I use Acrobat to adjust my books after scanning them in and then print to ON. Inkseine is mostly used for just the scroll and snapshot feature. ON really needs a grab tool, without it I use the tool in Inkseine. Journal I use as scratch paper for doing calculations - if I want to keep it I print it to ON.

I have never had my data scrambled as Leaftye mentions. I use ON across a desktop and 2 TPC's and all stay in sync. Data is backed up using Carbonite just in case of data problems.

I have PDF Revu but have rarely used it. Since I read and take notes in ON, I have not found a reason to use it - or pay the $75 for the new student version.

I also use Lecturescribe which is a free white board program that also records audio. This allows me to ask questions of my math professor or to help other students.

5. booone0

booone0 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been using PDF Revu to take notes in class so far, because it's the end of the semester and I haven't really had time to play with other programs. I'll be trying out OneNote (which I got with MS Office Student) once I start my summer class.

I also used PDF Revu to read and annotate a book I digitized with my digital camera, as it was required reading of an advanced physiology text that could only be checked out for 2 hours. Took me about 30 minutes of processing (Did this at work) to get around 100 pages into PDF form using Photoshop and Lightroom. Didn't come out perfectly, but it was good enough to get the material down.

6. schmolch

schmolch Scribbler - Standard Member

I use xournal (onenote for linux) on my right tablet and pdf-viewers / firefox on my left tablet.
    Both tablets (sxga+ x60ts) are mounted vertically side-by-side on a ergotron mx mount.
    They can hover over the couch or over my table at almost any angle.
    On the right tablet i do mindmaps, sketches, exercises and on the left tablet i view books, pdfs, websites.

For lots of text-input is use a external keyboard (a brand new IBM Model M :))

7. mistah_g

mistah_g Pen Pal - Newbie

I, like several others on here, have not had any problems with OneNote, so I almost exclusively use that as my note-taking software.

I am absolutely in LOVE with OneNote. No doubt about it.

I organize all of my lecture notes really nicely into OneNote. Pretty much all lectures are posted online as PDFs, often before the actual class. This allows me to be very organized with OneNote, and I can easily type/ink over the PDFs in OneNote if I need to add anything as I sit in the lecture.

I have online access to several textbooks and several PDFs of textbooks that I print into OneNote as well. I've also scanned several textbooks, and I LOOOOVE how OneNote indexes all text and pictures. I am really enamoured at how accurate OneNote is when I do a search; it even searches my sloppy handwriting, as well as all of the textbooks that I've printed to OneNote.

I was thinking of getting a PDF annotator of some sort before, but I've found no need for it. I suppose the advantage would be that you'd have page-views instead of a long scrollable document like OneNote, but sometimes I really prefer OneNote's layout. If text or something goes across slides or if you need to cross-reference, it's very easy.

One last feature that I absolutely love about OneNote: if you keep the screen-clipping feature in the systray, there's an awesome addition. At any point, press Win+S and you can EASILY and QUICKLY take a screenshot of a certain section. Then just copy and paste it into OneNote or even another program. Brilliant.

I also use Adobe Pro often to create PDFs from websites and from textbooks that I have scanned. Obviously, I use Word and Powerpoint for editing documents when needed.

Oh yes, I also use PDF Password Remover 3.0. Almost all of the PDFs that are posted for my lectures are secured so I cannot add text, extract pages, deleted pages, insert pages, etc. So I remove the passwords (the program words really well) and then I can delete useless pages or insert others etc. with Adobe Pro.

I've found my combination to work really well and I'm extremely satisfied with OneNote. I'm curious to see how they improve upon it in OneNote 2010 (besides the Ribbon, of course :p).

8. booone0

booone0 Pen Pal - Newbie

Mistah,

Since you use ON for a lot of things, maybe you could answer this. Is there a way to have one note set the view to fit the page width? The x200 doesn't have a really wide screen, and even with side bars collapsed my printed PDFs have a horizontal scroll bar in portrait mode.

Also, is there a way to print a PDF to ON making every page in the PDF a new page in the notebook? This would be useful with scanned texts, making each page of the book separate, and I can add subpages if I need to add any notes. If this isn't possible, how do you manage a scanned PDF that is >100 pages? That seems like it would be kind of unwieldy for the ON interface.

9. mistah_g

mistah_g Pen Pal - Newbie

booone0,

Unfortunately, OneNote itself does not have a view to fit to page width (at least as far as I know). There are a couple ways around this though that you may like to try:

1. Try changing the zoom of OneNote. There should be a little box for selecting zoom percentage near the top, try changing that to a lower number.
    2. Try printing PDFs using a custom size. Open the PDF, go print, then on the right of printer selection go Properties and there will be paper size. You can enter a custom size there e.g. 6x11 instead of 8.5x11. Just make sure that when you go to print the PDF to OneNote that you select "Fit to printable area" at the bottom under "Page scaling".

In terms of printing to separate pages, I'm not aware of any way in OneNote to do this. However, again, there are a couple ways to work around this:

1. If you have Adobe Pro, you could go Documents --> Extract Pages --> enter all the pages in the page range and then go "Extract each page as a separate file" and then individually print each of those to OneNote. If you have a bunch of pages it may take a while though, but this could work if you have <50 pages and it wouldn't take that long. Ctrl+P is your friend :)
    2. What I do if I have a large textbook is that I print each CHAPTER into different OneNote pages/tabs. So each tab will have about 20 pages, depending on the textbook. This is pretty easy, just find the chapter divisions (especially easy if you've added them after you scanned, which I usually do and recommend doing) then print each chapter individually.

To be honest, I don't see printing each page of a PDF to a separate page/tab of OneNote that practical because you'd have so many OneNote tabs and that would take a while to navigate. For me, at least, printing by chapter is highly practical and serves my needs well.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

10. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@booone0:
    You can use the OneNote PrintOut Manager Powertoy
    This allows you, as far as I remember to create a new page in ON for every PDF page.
    Maybe it would be useful to create a sticky thread in the OneNote subforum which contains a list and description of all available ON PowerToys, because there isn't any similar up-to-date list available.

But maybe back to topic. The question was rather the way and tools you use with your tablet to learn something than the software you use to take notes.

I know that most of you use ON to take notes. But how do you learn then.
    Do you place your books besides your tablet, do you create a split view, do you learn at all on the tablet or prefer paper?
    What are you doing if you want to learn something outside?
    What software do you use to support your learning? Do you have any special tricks in ON, PDF Annotator, PDF Revu, ... to learn it?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.