What software do you plan to use on your HP Slate 500?

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by jgjackson, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bigmouth

Bigmouth Pen Pal - Newbie

Both PDF XChange Viewer and Foxit allow you to annotate for free. The experience is about the same -- okay but far from perfect. I use PDF X-Change because Foxit tries to trick you into installing bloatware.

I'd be real curious if somene could compare the experience annotating with PDF Annotator vs. PDF XChange Viewer. As I say, the latter is useable but far from ideal. I'm curious if the former is worth the money.

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I've been using PDF Annotator since version 1.0, I like it and it has good ink support. I used to print all of my PDFs to Journal for markup but PDF Annotator allowed direct markups.

Twice a year Grahl Software seems to have significant discounts on PDF Annotator, usually in August for back to school and the other seems to be in the spring.

3. Bigmouth

Bigmouth Pen Pal - Newbie

Would you say the inking experience for PDF Annotator is comparable to Journal?

One of the issues I have with PDF XChange viewer is that the program gets confused if I lift my pen while inking. It's fine for signatures and forms, but I have to be very deliberate when writing long annotations.

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

It uses the same Tablet APIs as the rest of the Windows Products so yes it is as good as Journal and OneNote. The catch is that the ink dos render well in other PDF Readers...

5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

PDF Annotator is on sale today and tomorrow for $27 (60% off).

Bronsky:cool:

6. DuayneI

DuayneI Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the heads up. Bought it

7. krelvinaz

krelvinaz Systems Analyst

BTW... if you order it, Uncheck the 2 years Assurance upgrade. when you get to the purchase page, they will offer that with an additional discount as well.

That is if you want to do that.

8. Bronsky

Thanks. After using trial periods for just about every annotator or Acrobat plug-in you can buy, I have gone back to PDF Annotator. As much as I liked Autoink plug-in for Acrobat, the slate was just not up to handling the full version of Acrobat smoothly. Under any kind of stress, the pen would skip as the software was struggling to refresh. All other times, Autoink was the best performance I have had from the N-Trig pen. If the slate was a bit more powerful, autoink would be the clear choice due to its seamless integration in Acrobat and smooth performance as a digitizer.

Bronsky:cool:

9. bugmenot

bugmenot Pen Pal - Newbie

From my brief experience, PDF-XChange seems a more polished and stable product. But you have to take into account that PDF Annotator includes a PDF printer (although there are many free offerings out there). Besides, the freehand tool of PDF-XChange is not as good as PDF Annotator, try writing with it and you should know what I mean.

However, to compare apple to apple, you should really compare with PDF-XChange PRO, their prices are similar and both of them offer a PDF printer.

If you don't need the printer (or can be satisifed with a free one), PDF-XChange Viewer PRO offers good editing features at half of the official price of PDF Annotator.

Cheers.

10. Bronsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.