What software do you plan to use on your HP Slate 500?

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by jgjackson, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgjackson

jgjackson Scribbler - Standard Member

With only 64GB of space, I don't imagine anyone's going to install Adobe Production bundle of Final Cut or heavy duty software like that. But what programs do you plan to install that you regard as important for your tablet experience.

My answer is, in approximate priority order:

1) Logos 4. I have a lot of ebooks under Logos 4, so this install is going to take up about 22 GB of precious disk space.

2) Microsoft OneNote. I imagine OneNote and Logos4 will be opened shortly after any reboot and never closed till I need to shut down (or crash).

3,4) Microsoft Word, Excel. I'm not sure if I want to bother with Outlook, and certainly doin't need Publisher or Access.

5,6) FrameMaker, RitePen. I use FrameMaker for work and some personal stuff too. Unfortunately, it isn't compatible with the Tablet Input Panel, and as usual, Adobe seems to have a policy of doing nothing to help any of their software work with TabletPCs, probably because they regard them as a threat to their overpriced Cintiq tablets. RitePen does with with FrameMaker however.

7) Ilium List Pro. I use this for shopping lists and such on my Windows Mobile devices. Since I expect the tablet to take over a lot of my PDA functionality, I figure this will be real useful.

8) NX. For accessing Linux machines at work.

9,10) Photoshop, Bibble. If there's space, I may install these image editing programs.

2. wubbzy

wubbzy Pen Pal - Newbie

Here's my list. Basically, I'm hoping to use the slate as a mobile productivity tool and go almost completely paperless.

(1) OneNote - This is the main reason I want a Windows slate, to use for note-taking in meetings and classes, tracking projects, to-do lists, etc.

(2) Kindle for PC - For access to my Kindle books. Hoping to use the pen for highlighting, which is something the actual Kindle device doesn't do.

(3) PDF Annotator - For reading articles, highlighting, and margin notes.

(4) Word & Excel - Light editing work

(5) SugarSync - To sync files with my other Windows machines at work and home

(6) Firefox

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Here's my list (for when HP let's me out of Dante's First Circle - Limbo):

1. OneNote - The primary reason for the Slate's existence in my mind.

2. Word & Excel - file viewing and editing (with 100% accuracy).

3. Firefox - after visiting Andersen's site, it looks like the finger friendly browser.

4. LogMeIn Client - Like it a little better than GoToMyPC.

That will probably be it for now. I want to keep it as lean as possible for the shakedown cruise. If all goes well, then I'll move on to (hopefully) 64gb SDXC for data storage and more programs (iTunes, PowerPointless, Adobe Acrobat Pro). Ouch - can feel the crunch already.

By the way - does anybody know of a good way to share a single MS Exchange account with two Outlook clients so I can keep my Slate and desktop computer synchronized whether I send/receive emails on either one?

4. ghost74

ghost74 Scribbler - Standard Member

OneNote (Currently a OneNote virgin)

Excel, Word

IQMS - My work ERP system, I will be the envy of my co-workers by being able to look up work orders or inventory levels without running to a PC

My PDF version of the Machinist's Handbook

Kindle for PC

I have already pre-loaded a 32GB SD card with Music, Photos and several classic movies. Now I just have to pick the right movie & album to try first.

I'm thinking The Dark Knight, Jaws or Unforgiven. And for the first album, it has to be either Van Halen's debut or something from Led Zeppelin.

Sounds like I have a few more days to decide.

5. lclev

lclev Pen Pal - Newbie

So far I plan to install Office 2010-OneNote, Word, Excel, maybe Outlook. Probably not powepoint or access. If I was still teaching (retired) I would include powerpoint as I used my former HP tablet with a wireless networked projector a lot. But with only 64GB I plan to be more conservative.

My main plans are to use it for note taking. I went back to school for computer networking and would love to have OneNote and a tablet. At the rate HP is going I will probably be done before it get here. :)

I am not sure I would install Logos 4 - I have Logos 4 on my Alienware M11x with the SU7300 and 4GB. I find that Logos loads slow and while it runs the software well when jumping between books, I notice when clipping scriptures out and make notes there is a significant delay with the cut and paste. Granted my clipped files are getting a bit large and I tend to have six or eight references open but I don't think the slate will handle this very well.
    jgjackson - I would love to hear how it works out when you try it.

I am sure I will have other ideas as I am currently "supposed" to get it Dec 22nd - not holding my breath.

6. jgjackson

jgjackson Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh yeah, I forgot about PowerPoint, but I rarely use it these days. I'll install it if Indeed it.

dstrauss, I can't imagine why you'd have a problem syncing multiple Outlook clients to an exchange server. It certainly works with multiple windows mobile phones and two boot disks on my work computer. You just point them all at the exchange server and it just works.

lclev, I use Logos 4 on an ancient Gateway C-120x. 1.06 GHz processor. Yeah, it's slow sometimes, but each update seems to improve. I rarely use the clippings and note taking features. When doing a study, I find the need to have my results spread out in favorites, notes files, notes in reports, clippings, etc. not very useful. I usually use OneNote instead although it still isn't very convenient to make hyperlinks back into Logos. Anyway, to bring this back on-topic, Logos4+OneNote is what justifies the purchase for me. If the Slate isn't up to that, than it goes back.

7. plebainJay

plebainJay Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey there, I'm new here and (im)patiently waiting for my Slate.

I'm planning on using:
    Sketchbook Pro
    ArtRage
    OneNote
    and probably Firefox.

The slate will be my digital sketchpad, so I'm hoping the N-trig digitizer will work as well as the wacom in my 2710p.

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

jgjackson - I may not have been clear. I know Activesync can keep your mobiles and desktop in sync on a single Exchange account, but I was under the impression that two different Outlook clients cannot use the same Exchange account.

OK - forgetg all that. I did some more (Google) research and found that Exchange will sync any number of Outlook clients to a single account. The key appears to be setting the Deliver to Location on all of the computers to "Mailbox, User" and not "Personal Folders" otherwise downloaded mail to a personal folder will make it unavailable to the other computer(s). Now, if I can just get the #$@&%&$%@$%^* Slate!

9. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I plan to use this primarily with Photoshop as a digital sketch/painting device.

I know alot of other programs are better suited for digital art, especially on a device with netbook guts, but I'm so used to photoshop I just get annoyed using any other program. Like Painter or Sketchbook Pro.

I do like Paint Tool Sai...but from using it on the LS800....I can say that is the worst program to use on a 8-9 inch screen. The customizable tool bars in photoshop makes a world of difference when doing art work.

Art Rage has perhaps the best interface for a tablet, but I just hate that program.

10. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

ds,
    I assume you are trying to use Outlook without an Exchange Server. If that is the case, let me know as I can help you avert some of the same pitfalls I have discovered so you don't find them again!

Wow, I just get back from Las Vegas at 6:30*AM this morning and look at all the updated Slate information!

Posted from my TC1100 Slate!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.