What programming environments are folks using for Win10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by WillAdams, Feb 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've finally decided I need to get back to programming / development, and want to work up something for tablets --- what systems are folks using for tablet apps in Win10?

2. gerg

gerg Scribbler - Standard Member

Despite good intentions, I've never managed to get into the mode of doing any development specifically for tablets. A couple of quick searches for anything related to tablet pc development doesn't bring back a lot of hits. Still, this question deserves at least some kind of answer, right?

You didn't say what your experience level is, or what types of apps you are considering. I know that some folks around here have made pretty amazing utilities with AutoHotKey - maybe some of them will chime in, or try searching the forums here.

For Windows applications, both traditional and Universal Windows Platform (aka Windows Store apps), the answer is most likely going to be Visual Studio. This can be had in various editions ranging from Community Edition (free) to Professional (reasonable cost) to a full-blown MSDN subscription (expensive, but well worth it).

Another alternative is to develop with web technology, using an editor and Node.JS to create HTML and Javascript applications. Pretty sure you can develop for touch this way, but I don't know about stylus or inking support. Microsoft has a free product in this space as well, Visual Studio Code.

Anyone else care to comment?

3. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

4. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And why not directly the environment that comes for free from Microsoft?

What most developers that have a Linux or Java ( or Python ) bias don't know, most of the development stuff MS is providing is free for most developers.
    If you don't make more then $1 mio/anno you get Visual Studio community edition for free, which has the same functionality as the professional.

And why do you want to stay with python?
    You will get nearly no documentation for the UWP stuff, nearly no demos or source codes, while you get tons of that for C# or VB.NET.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.