What Pen are you using? (EA800)

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by thescreensavers, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etienne

etienne Pen Pal - Newbie

I received me either styluses from funnybom. Since I dropped one accidentally, I need to press more hard to have the same result as the other. It's good in a sense, because it's more easy for me to write! ;)

I bought the one from Jesse B Andersen and it's nicer to draw with that device. Thought it was quite expensive here in Canada. 80$ for 2.

2. T_B

T_B Scribbler - Standard Member

Why is that? A lot of ebay sellers don't even want to ship to Italy.
    "All items can be shipped worldwide, except Africa,Italy or West Asia."

3. BlacKnight

BlacKnight Scribbler - Standard Member

If you don't want to buy a replacement stylus you might try repairing your broken stylus. A common problem is that they get dropped & the ferrite core cracks. Some users report success in repairing the core with super-glue. Obviously you have to figure out how to open the pen to get at the ferrite core. Here is a link to an example describing the repair to a Graphire tablet pen.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. burgerproductions

burgerproductions Pen Pal - Newbie

Asus Itaia have been completely useless both by phone and by mail.
    Every enquiry I've made asking where to find a replacement pen have been met with the standard response 'Asus have no intention of selling a replacement pen in Italy'. They couldn't recommend any replacement models or places to find them. In fact, they just told me to contact Asus USA to ask them...??? I live in f**king Europe why should I have to contact the US to ask about replacement pens?
    In the end I contacted Asus UK via phone and they pointed me in the direction of this website: Asusparts which sells replacement parts for Asus products.
    They don't have the sp-50 stylus, but they have a wacom stylus available there; however, before buying I thought I might ask someone here is they know if it will work or not.
    The stylus is EP-121 and is usually used with the Asus slate. it's a WACOM UP-610EA-93B-1 which isn't in BlackKnights compatibility link, but is an UP model. Here is a link, but there is no photo.
    Asusparts
    Does anyone know if it will work?

In the meantime, I've already bought a Toshiba pen from amazon and had it delivered to the UK and then someone there should pass it on to me.
    In response to T_B, I think the reason why no-one wants to deliver to Italy is because packages go missing all the time, which means sellers have to constantly give refunds and amazon loses money. I live in the North, which is generally more reliable but I have packages go missing from amazon all the time. In terms of postal reliability, Italy is third-world ;)

5. BlacKnight

Hi burgerproductions

I have an EP121 and I have verified that the pen that comes with it works fine on the Eee Note. Here is a link which vaguely shows the pen. The pen is white, full length, and has an eraser tip.

I think any Wacom UP (Ultra Pen) series pen should work with any Penabled device, such as the Eee Note.

I too got one of the Toshiba pens from Amazon - at the time it was the best value pen with a side button I could find in the UK (The Taiwanese Gateway pens are now cheaper in the UK). This is the pen I use normally with my Eee Note. Like most pens, it's too long to fit in the silo, but fits nicely in the folio case. At first it is tight, but if you partially close the folio it slips in and out easily.

6. burgerproductions

burgerproductions Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks alot BlackKnight. That's reassuring to know.

7. SH0DAN

SH0DAN Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all,

I was a little bit unsatisfied with the pressure response of the Asus supplied pen. Mine drew a line even if it barely touched the screen. So I wrote a tslib plugin to scale the pressure values coming from the stylus to fit my needs. It even allows to scale the values of different styluses that have a higher pressure resolution solving the problem that you can't draw thin lines with these styluses.

Help needed: It would be great if the ones that have a different pen in use could supply the pressure range of this pen or (better) a customized ts.conf. This way we can build a library of pscale settings for different pens.

The following description is also contained within the usage.txt of the download. I'm supplying it here so you can see what you get before you download:

Why do I need this on my eeeNote
    The touchpen that ships with the eeeNote is a little bit touchy. Sometimes the pen even draws a line while the stylus isn't even touching the screen.
    It was suggested to use the pthres module to correct this problem. But this solution is not working very well, because the pthres module eliminates all pen messages from the queue where the pressure is below the threshold. This disables the pointer movement within the browser application and leads to problems when darwing within the notes application.

The pscale module allows you to scale the input pressure range to the eeeNote supported range from 0 to 255. This way you can even use pens that have a higher pressure resolution than the Asus supplied pen.

Installing the pressure scaler for the stock pen
    To install the touchpen scaler simply extract the contents of the ZIP-file into the root directory of your sdcard. Shut down the eeeNote, put the sdcard into your eeeNote and power it on. After the eeeNote has bootet, power it off again and remove the sdcard.

Please remove the dvt_check file from the sdcard before inserting it back into your eeeNote.

Now you can power on the eeeNote again and enjoy the better pressure response of the stock stylus.

Uninstalling the touchpen scaler
    If you made a mistake while configuring your own stylus and you eeeNote is not responding to the pen anymore you can use the supplied dvt_check_uninstall file to uninstall the pscale module. Just copy the file into the root directory of the sdcard and rename it to dvt_check. Then insert the sdcard into your eeeNote and reboot it.

Configuring an alternative touchpen
    First you have to understand what the pscale module does. It scales an input pressure range to an output pressure range. The following drawing illustrates the process:

Code:
    pinHigh  ___
              | \
              |  \___ poutHigh
              |    |
              |   _|_ poutLow
    pinLow   _|_/
    To determine the pinLow and pinHigh values the ts_print_raw utility can be used. The sixth column shows the pressure values coming from the digitizer. While touching the screen you can see the pressure values change according to the pressure you apply to the stylus.

To setup a new stylus start the ts_print_raw utility via the terminal application or telnet. Now take the new stylus and follow these steps:
    - Note the number that is shown when the stylus barely touches the screen.
    - Now press the stylus as hard has you like the maximum pressure to be
    (be careful, don't break anything). Note the maximum value as well.

These two values are the new pinLow and pinHigh values for your stylus.

WARNING: Don't set pinLow too high or you won't be able to click any more. If you've made a mistake, use the dvt_check_uninstall file to regain touch access to you eeeNote.

Now modify the ts.conf file within the pscale folder of the download. Modify the second line and set the pinLow and pinHigh parameters to the previously noted values.

The poutLow and poutHigh parameter must always be 0 and 255 for the eeeNote because this is the hard coded pressure range.

Sourcecode
    The source of this plugin will be available on my homepage Flash Systems within a few weeks.

Attached Files:

8. Jamie-B

Jamie-B Scribbler - Standard Member

Excellent work! I was supplied with two Eee Note pens from Asus, and one of them draws a line when not clicking. If my functional pen ever breaks, I will be able to recalibrate my Eee Note for the backup pen with this. Thanks a lot!

9. BlacKnight

Nice work SH0DAN. I was hoping to do something like this myself, but haven't got a round tuit yet :D

I'd be happy to help with this project. I have several different pens I can set up for different pressure scaling. Also I'd be happy to help with coding once you've released the source code, etc (could you please give some details of the tool chain you are using?).

IMHO there are a couple of issues that need to be resolved:

[1] I think ts_print_raw outputs the raw pressure for the ts event driver, rather than the digitiser output as you suggest. I'm not sure Asus have released the source code for the event driver. The ts_print_raw output seems to be already limited to 255 by the event driver, because whatever pen I use it always limits at 255. If I use a 1024 level pen and set pinHigh to 1023 then the ts_print (processed) output is limited to about 59 (should be 63?).

[2] I think the reason using the pthres module doesn't work so well is because although it filters the pen event messages the way it should, the Asus Note app is taking the pen on/off status from the raw messages rather than the filtered messages. This means the Note app doesn't always see the pen-off events correctly.

Your pscale mod is an improvement over using the pthres module because it subtracts the threshold from the pressure data before forwarding, whereas pthres doesn't (durh). It also works better because you are not filtering zero pressure events, so the raw pen on/off status matches the the pressure event correctly.

Unfortunately, I conclude it may not be possible to scale the input for pens with more than 256 pressure levels correctly without modifying the pen event driver directly.

10. SH0DAN

SH0DAN Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello BlacKnight,

thank you for your reply. I don't have a pen with more than 256 pressure levels so I could not check if this is working. You maybe right that the pressure limit is implemented within the input event driver or even within the hardware. The source code for the tslib that was used within the eeeNote can be downloaded directly from Asus. Within plugins/input-raw.c Asus is extracting the Pressure as an 8 Bit value like this:
    samp->pressure = ((puchData[6] & 0x01) << 7) | (puchData[5] & 0x7F);

So the limit is currently 256. I don't know if the hardware even supports more. The comment is suggesting that it doesn't.

Regarding comment 1: Using ts_print_raw is correct because the filter works on the raw value as it travels up the chain. So reading this values should be correct.

Regarding comment 2: You are correct. The note app seems to gets confused if it does not see events with pressure 0.

To answer your question about the toolchain. I followed the description on freeenote.org (FreeeNote.org) to build the toolchain and then compiled the tslib downloaded from Asus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.