What Pen are you using? (EA800)

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by thescreensavers, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thescreensavers

thescreensavers Pen Pal - Newbie

^ ok I see, so Ill try it in the console

How do you know you are changing the PPS?

Edit: oh I see :), I got it

In the Console

cd / hit enter

then type ./wac_tch --1 for 133pps

[​IMG]

BlacKnight I think you should make a new thread with this discovery, I am going to write with this and see how it goes.

Thanks for the tip!

2. Sere2001

Sere2001 Pen Pal - Newbie

the problem with using only the console is that it is set back to normal afert eacht reboot, therefore the file needs to be altered :)

but anyways, BlackNight did a great job discovering this improvement, though I wonder why asus did not set 133 pps as the standard rate, as it seems to be much better than 80, which makes the great product even greater :)

3. Setsuna203

Setsuna203 Pen Pal - Newbie

Since it is a Wacom digitizer, anyone tried one of their dozens of pens?

4. BlacKnight

BlacKnight Scribbler - Standard Member

In general pens designed for Wacom branded products don't work with OEM penabled devices (like the Eee Note) appart from the UP series. This is because Wacom use different frequencies and encoding on most of their own devices. This chart gives some compatibility information - the cyan ones are penabled compatible.

My Wacom UP-817E works with the Eee Note, for example.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. Setsuna203

Setsuna203 Pen Pal - Newbie

Cool, very helpful link, thanks a lot! :)

6. T_B

T_B Scribbler - Standard Member

I am pretty pleased with the stylus that comes with the eeenote, but like to buy a couple of cheap ones in case I lose one. Just want to be sure I always have one extra around.

Right now I am thinking of buying this one:
    NEW Gateway E-155 E-155C Wacom Executive Stylus Pen | eBay

Not too expensive and if I am lucky I can use the eraser as well. Any idea if this will work, at least for basic note taking?

7. arpie

arpie Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,
    For those of you in europe, where pens seem to be much harder to come by, I thought you might like to know that this pen Toshiba Tablet Pen - Tablet Pen: Toshiba: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories works perfectly.

The eraser works, and pressing the side button allows you to draw straight lines (from where you start writing to where you lift off is straight), although I don't find this all that useful. One downside is that this pen is 1024 levels of pressure, compared to 512 with the original pen and it seems to be much harder to produce narrow lines with the fountain pen, althogh it is still possible. I can't do a direct comparison as the reason I bought this new pen is that I dropped the original one and it stopped working at all!

T_B : the pen you are looking at looks remarkably like a rebranded version of this same pen that I bought (the only visible difference is in the shape of the pocket clip), although that is obviously not a clear indication of whether it will work or not. The key thing you need to look for is the word 'penabled', which doesn't appear to be mentioned on your pen description (but that doesn't necessarily mean that it won't work). It took me two goes to get a working pen - the first one (a graphire pen) didn't work at all and got sent back to Amazon for a full refund. Your ebay retailer will probably do the same, wont he?

The chart posted above by BlacKnight looks very useful, but from having searched for hours, I can confirm that none of the pens on it are available in Europe!

BlacKnight : Thanks for the overclocking tip - I'm about to have a play with it. There must be a downside otherwise why is it not set as default? Perhaps it will become obvious after a while... I don't suppose you've come across a way of changing the pressure level sensitivity have you?

8. BlacKnight

BlacKnight Scribbler - Standard Member

How to change the pen pressure threshold

Applies to Eee Note firmware 1.0.14.118 TW

So far I've only been able to adjust the pen pressure threshold... in the folder /etc you should find a file called /etc/ts.conf (i.e. touch screen configuration). The contents of the file will look like this:
    Code:
    module_raw input
    #module variance xlimit=50 ylimit=50 pthreshold=1
    #module dejitter xdelta=10 ydelta=10 pthreshold=1
    module linear noxyswap
    Start by making a backup copy of the file, just in case. To adjust the pen pressure threshold you need to add a new line to enable the pthres module, and set pmin parameter to the pressure threshold value you want. Afterwards the file should look something like this:
    Code:
    module_raw input
    #module variance xlimit=50 ylimit=50 pthreshold=1
    #module dejitter xdelta=10 ydelta=10 pthreshold=1
    [B]module pthres pmin=20[/B]
    module linear noxyswap
    The parameter pmin sets the minimum pressure needed to register as a pen-down event. The range of pressure values on the Eee Note is from 0 (pen-up) to 255 (maximum pressure). A pminof 20 works well on my Eee Note, but the sensitivity of yours might be different, so you will need to experiment. Don't set pmin too high, or your pen will never register any pressure events. If you get stuck you'll need to telnet in to edit the file.

If you want to assess the pressure sensitivity of your Eee Note, you can use the diagnostic tools. Use a console or telnet or file explorer to run the program /bin/ts_print_raw to see the raw pressure values from your pen, or /bin/ts_print to see the processed pressure values. Note that you have to put the pen to the screen to see any output. When you've seen enough, reboot the Eee Note (or CTRL+Z if you telnet).

@arpie: I also use one of those Tosh pens you suggest with my Eee Note, and I have also tried my Wacom UP-817E, but I find both the Toshiba and Wacom pens are much more sensitive than the SP-50 stylus that comes with the Eee Note. On my Eee Note they both pens start inking before they touch the screen, and the pressure level output from them is higher than from the SP-50. IMO this is why it's difficult to get thin/light lines using the Toshiba pen, but maybe it's also related to the pen pressure resolution. I'd like to be able to adjust the pen pressure mapping properly on the Eee Note, so I have asked Asus to publish the LGPL source code for the pen driver. I've had a nice acknowledgement from them, but so far no action.

9. Tagirijus

Tagirijus Pen Pal - Newbie

Is this for sure? Any news on this?

10. Jamie-B

Jamie-B Scribbler - Standard Member

It means that the processor will be sampling ~130 points per second instead of just 80, so it is logical that the processor will be given a 62.5% higher burden for this one process than it normally receives. I don't think that it will produce a significant difference in battery life, though. The demand of this lone process is probably nothing compared to, for example, the demand of just rendering a new page in a large PDF. I would definitely not worry about it.