What Pen are you using? (EA800)

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by thescreensavers, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Ramses800

Ramses800 Template Trickster

The stylus I bought (Digitizer Pen Tablet PC FSC Lifebook T5010) is white
    [​IMG]

2. thescreensavers

thescreensavers Pen Pal - Newbie

Lol, I thought you had already tested that, another reason I got that pen! heh

Well yea I can confirm the eraser works. Got my L Series Pen in today.

I just simply put the EA800 SP-50 Pen in the holder ontop and stuck the L Series Pen in the Pen Holder. I could shove it all the way down but it its a tight fit, So I leave it as pictured. It should loosen up a bit with some time.

[​IMG]

Also my pen came with 5 extra replaceable tips so 6 in total.

I dont have class until monday, so Ill test this pen out more then, so far its great!

3. BlacKnight

BlacKnight Scribbler - Standard Member

How to overclock your pen! :D

Applies to firmware version 1.0.14 TW

I've been rootling around the Note and stumbled acrosss a utility that can be used to change the sampling rate for the Wacom pen/stylus. It lives in the root (I mean top-most) directory and is caqlled /wac_tch. It appears to take a single switch --n that sets the sampling rate for the pen. The switch can take one of four values [0..3], as follows:

Switch => Sampling rate (points per second)
    --0 => zero - This disables the pen!
    --1 => 133 pps
    --2 => 80 pps
    --3 => 40 pps​

I have done a few tests and conclude: it's a bad idea to use the --0 switch because it disables the pen; 40 pps is too slow to write with; 80 pps gives similar performance to usual, so I guess this is the default sample rate, and 133 pps give much improved inking performance when writing quickly.

You can try this out on your Note from a console or via telnet by typing the following commands.
    Code:
    /wac_tch --1
    to set the sampling rate to 133 pps. Or try
    Code:
    /wac_tch --2
    to set the sampling rate back to 80 pps.

If you reboot the Note then the pen sampling rate will revert to the default rate.

I used the CuteNotes editor to edit the /etc/profile script to make the change permanent, by inserting the following code near the end after the code that does the pen stuff (see the attached file for an example).
    Code:
    # set Wacom pen sample rate to 133 pps
    if [ -e /wac_tch ] ;then
    /wac_tch --1
    fi
    I have found that increasing the sample rate to 133 pps helps when I am taking notes and writing quickly (i.e. normal writing speed). Before this I had to write more slowly than usual to prevent my handwriting becoming (even more) illegible.

There may be a down side - I get the impression that the user interface is a bit more twitchy (i.e. more keen to register taps and double taps), and presumably more processor time is used for the pen which might reduce battery life a bit. Who knows? I'll report back if I come across any other problems.

Attached Files:

4. Sere2001

Sere2001 Pen Pal - Newbie

thank you so much for this trick, either its only me or the writing recognition is exactly the same as when writing on paper now....astonishing fast :)

more battery usage or not, I will definetely keep this "overclocked pen" active.

regards

5. osowiecki

osowiecki Scribbler - Standard Member

Great Job.
    "EasyPaint" stopped lagging so much.

6. Sere2001

Sere2001 Pen Pal - Newbie

could you perhaps upload your profile file with the changed input to 133pps, so I can move it to my eeeNote, as I do not get it to work on my own :-(

would really appreciate that

regards

7. BlacKnight

Hi Sere2001

I'm glad it works for you. I've attached my edited profile to my original post to keep all the information together. You'll have to unzip it and rename it to profile. I strongly recommend that you backup your profile before you substitute mine.

8. thescreensavers

thescreensavers Pen Pal - Newbie

hey blacknight, so all you are doing is renaming the "wac_tch" file in root to

wac_tch --1

?

9. T_B

T_B Scribbler - Standard Member

Very nice! This is certainly an improvement. Lets see what the impact is on battery life. Didn't do a major test, but the gui response seemed to be fine. Thanks for sharing BlacKnight.

10. BlacKnight

screensaver, you've lost me - I think I'm executing the program wac_tch and passing it the switch string "--1".