What Pen are you using? (EA800)

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by thescreensavers, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddy

eddy Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

Do any of you know whether wacom EP or LP series pen's work with the eee note?

2. BlacKnight

BlacKnight Scribbler - Standard Member

In general, only the Wacom UP (Ultra Pen) series are compatible with Penabled devices like the Eee Note. This table is dated, but shows some of the compatible UP pens.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. eddy

eddy Pen Pal - Newbie

What about Fujitsu / other brand one's? What should I be looking at to be sure if it's compatible or not?

My original asus one is not going to last for long... So, I am looking for a replacement... Maybe, someone could suggest something, preferably one of cheaper ones...

Edit: Is this one compatible?

4. BlacKnight

If you LOOK :eek: at the picture of the box the Gateway pen comes in you'll see it's an Ultra Pen UP7114E. That means it's compatible with any Wacom penabled device, like the Eee Note. I use one of these Gateway pens with my Eee Note and other penabled devices. I don't like writing with it because it is too short for me to hold comfortably and doesn't balance well. Some people like them because you can just about cram it into the Eee Note pen silo. I prefer to keep my (Toshiba) pen in the Eee Note folio case pen pocket.

Wacom have done their best to confuse their customer base about interoperability, so it's hard to give concrete generalizations. But the rules of thumb are: (1) Pens designed for Wacom branded products are NOT compatible with penabled devices (exceptions include some of the PL), and (2) Pens designed for use with any penabled Tablet PC (i.e. running Microsoft Windows with a Wacom digitizer) should work on any other penabled device, such as the Eee Note (exceptions include Tablet PCs with N-Trig or Waltop digitisers).

So, for example, any pen that is Fujitsu or Toshiba branded and designed to work with one of their (Wacom) Tablet PCs should work with the Eee Note.

Since you link to eBay.co.uk you might consider this pen. I haven't tested this one, but I would expect it to work. It looks like a full length pen, so it won't fit in the Eee Note silo.

5. eddy

eddy Pen Pal - Newbie

Can confirm that gateway UP-7114E-69A pen works flawlessly with eee note. Way better than the original too.
    My hand writing on eee note now looks very close to that on paper, so yeah... Totally recommended for those who broke their original one, or just look for replacement.

6. porki99

porki99 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

I purchased the EEE Note with the IT firmware V1.0.4. I tried changing the stylus sampling rate as described above by typing in ConsoleQ at the root /wac_tch --1, but I get the error "not found". I tried with ./wac_tch --1 as well, but the result was the same.

Will installing the RU firmware solve this problem, or is the wac_tch utility available somewhere on the IT firmware as well?

7. BlacKnight

Hi porki99

Typing this
    Code:
    /wac_tch --1
    form any directory should work because the wac_tch utility is in the root (/) directory. Don't type a full stop at the beginning. I haven't tried it with the IT firmware. You could try using a file browser to check that the file wac_tch exists in the root directory on your Eee Note. If so then you are probably spelling it wrong! If not you can search for it in another directory. If you can't find wac_tch then you could try the Russian firmware instead.

If you need more help invoking commands or scripts from a command line console in Linux then try Google.