What on earth is wrong with my tx2500z? Help Please!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by andy_boy, May 7, 2009.

1. andy_boy

andy_boy Pen Pal - Newbie

Alright-- I bought my tx2500z last August. I'm in Canada and at the time the only models they had here were.. lame, to say the least, so I bought one of the suped up models off of eBay (2.4 Dual Core, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, etc).

I replaced the 64-Bit version of windows with a 32-bit version, clean installed to get rid of all the bloatware. Everything was just dandy until about December, when some funky stuff started happening with my screen.

(New Photos)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It persisted for a while. It randomly appears, sometimes while I'm just working on the computer and haven't touched anything, sometimes when I move the screen, or sometimes when I open it up from sleep. It disappears just as randomly. Moving the screen has mixed success, often the best way to rid of it is to just wait it out or restart the computer.

At first I was certain it was a hardware problem, a loose connection or something. But I don't know. I was often connecting it to an external monitor (TV) in my dorm room, and I seem to remember fiddling with the resolution, then the problem disappeared for three months. Never once came up. And now it's back.

I've tried everything. I've wiped my computer clean, reinstalled windows and formatted drives tons of times. Got the latest video drivers, installed them and reinstalled them. I factory restored it the other night-- the problem didn't happen when I was in the bloatware Vista so I figured it was gone. Put on the new Windows 7 RC and bam! it's back. Thing is, it's so random that I have no idea whether it would have actually occurred in the factory restored setting, as I only had it like that for a good hour.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A few things make me hesitant to send it in. First off, I bought it Internationally off eBay, so I don't even know if HP would take it (my 1 year manufacturer warranty expires on June 23rd or something). Also, if I sent it to them, chances are they'd open the computer, find nothing wrong with it and send it back. That's the thing-- many times I've tried to show people the problem and it doesn't show up. I go home, open the computer, and there it is again. It's random. It can show up every 30 seconds or once in two days. I've searched the internet, found nothing. Doesn't help that I don't even know how to describe this problem.

Has anyone seen this before? Any advice appreciated. Especially with the warranty stuff. I'm at a loss. I need help. :(

Thanks,

Andrew

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

can't say i've ever seen this before, but i'm inclined to think it could be hardware related.

I'd call HP Canada, to check on the warranty details, and if you can consider upgrading your warranty especially since it expires soon.

3. R1C47

R1C47 Scribbler - Standard Member

Does it still happen when you use OSes other than Win7?
    Also, does it also happen when watching non-still images(gif or animated png) or video?

At the moment I have no idea what it could be, other than the video hardware but in my experience the screen wouldn't look like that if it was, so...

4. andy_boy

You think they'd deal with me if I didn't go through them when buying it, and don't really have anything but a shipping receipt? I guess I could contact the seller and see what he could do for me reciept-wise...

5. andy_boy

Yes, it happened with Vista 32-bit as well. The only time I haven't seen it happen is when I factory restored the computer to Vista 64-bit. But then again, I really only had it like that for an hour before I wiped the computer again (because I thought I had fixed the problem), so it could have just not shown up during that time... I might try it again soon to see if it truly fixes the problem.

6. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

warranty is normally tied to the machine & doesn't need documentation, so i'd still talk with HP Canada just to be sure, it can't hurt to call.

7. andy_boy

Perfect, will do that. Thanks for the help!

8. koity

koity Pen Pal - Newbie

You got to admit the logon screen is so pretty now. :)

9. ave0000

ave0000 Pen Pal - Newbie

Worst case, the LCD is shot, or there's something wrong with some part of the GPU.

More likely, though, is that the thin tiny wires of the video cable that goes through the hinge are worn out. Try pressing a little around the base of the hinge, and/or running the display slowly through its range of motion, and see if the effect changes. If that's the case, then it's just a bad cable. I'm not sure if that helps any though.

10. andy_boy

So I've determined this problem only occurs when I install operating systems OTHER than the 64-bit bloated version of Vista that came with the computer. The OS's I have tried are 32-bit Vista Professional and 32-bit 7 Professional. Must be a driver issue.. but why isn't this happening to anyone else? And how can I get HP to warranty it? Any thoughts?