What kind of touchy feely does the fujitsu products have?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by sudermatt, Nov 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sudermatt

sudermatt Scribbler - Standard Member

I haven't received my t730 yet (tomorrow I hope). What I don't know is, what kind of "touchy feely" UI does it have?

Does it have any special UI overlay at all to make it more touch friendly?

I've had an HP TM2 for a while and it had it's own suite of touch software...heck, they have their own Dev Project around touch software.

So, does the fujitsu products have anything to enhance the touch experience?
    OR is it straight OTB Windows 7?

Has anyone tried loading any of the TouchSmart Stuff on their Fujitsu?

Thanks,
    Matt

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

The Touchsmart Software is not going to install easily on a non Touchsmart model HP has seen to that, and due to licensing concerns we're going to ask that you not go down that road on the boards.

The Touchsmart Software is for HP branded Touchsmart models only.

3. sudermatt

sudermatt Scribbler - Standard Member

Hmmmm.....that is interesting.

4. qhorque

qhorque Scribbler - Standard Member

I've tried similar things in the past with other hardware/software combinations and it's very difficult in some cases because the vendors slide in checks in their code to look for specific hardware IDs and such. Even if you were able to install a specific kind of software, there's no guarantee that it will work reliably and is almost always more trouble than it's worth (attempting to get a Logitech mouse driver to work with an IBM mouse, for instance or some combination of their UI, etc.)

Shoot, it's difficult enough as it is to get one older Logitech mouse to work with another newer Logitech mouse's driver/UI much less one manufacturer's hardware to work with another manufacturer's UI. I see lots of BSODs in someone's future!

Licensing issues aside, you can do with your equipment what you want but it's probably not worth the effort.

5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Take heart! Many reasons:

1) The latest version of the TouchSmart software on the TM2 is ungodly slow and few use it.

"Sixteen seconds. That's how long it took for HP's TouchSmart software to load its photo app. And that's just one example of this suite's sluggishness. It took another 9 seconds to load the music app, which we otherwise like because it includes both Rhapsody and Pandora. We also like the touch-friendly Hulu and Twitter apps that come with TouchSmart. However, we quickly tired of staring at spinning circles while waiting for things to load."

Read more: HP TouchSmart tm2t Review - Touch & Pen Computing, Performance & Graphics

2) Fujitsu does have a touch-friendly overlay and, while it looks pretty 1990-ish in design, it has some 8 programmable buttons that you can program to do anything with

3) There is a handy app you can find on the TM2 boards here that is freeware and it works fine on non-TM2 touchscreens except that some functions specific to the TM2 - such as switching graphics processors - don't apply to other products, but rather than crashing the system, you just get an error message that it cannot execute the command.

4) Windows Mobility Center is a gift to touchscreens! You can make numerous adjustments (brightness, volume, screen orientation, etc, about 12 in all, and all you have to do is launch it once from the Control Panel then pin it to the taskbar and you will have a great deal of control at your fingertip!

5) Check the thread on "The PC Life" and I think it is Fred (awesome moderator) who lists virtually every third part app you can use to advantage on a tablet. I don't know if he keeps his list up to date, so you can google for even more.

It is true that Windows 7 has only a few touch/pen friendly features, but the ones it has are superb. Handwriting recognition is simply "magical" and it "learns" yours so it keeps getting better. MS Office is quite touch/pen oriented and, of course, One Note, which comes with all tablets including a Fujitsu refurb, is probably responsible for selling more tablet PCs than any other piece of software.

Personally, I think the kinds of touch functions on the iPad or Galaxay tab are slick in their lightning quick speed, but they take you to places you are not likely to want to go if you chose to buy a tablet that is also a "real" computer. I expect more touch/penabled apps will be written or adapted for Win7, but with the iPad form factor dwarfing everything else in the market, most the apps will be written for iPad and Android but, again, they are not likely to be apps you will want to use with a tablet PC with the power of a DTR computer. "Apples and oranges," NPI ;)

EDIT: I see from another post you made that you already own an Android phone and a Nook Color, so you truly will have the best of all worlds. I am planning to do the same. My indecision comes from my belief that the iPad is really the best device out there, but I HATE that company and its paternalistic ways with a passion. I think I will wait until V2 of both the iPad and the Android tablets to come out. In the meantime, there is little I do on my tablet PC that I could do on one of those "meda players." ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.