What issues have you had with the Samsung Galaxy Book 12?

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by DRTigerlilly, Nov 13, 2018.

1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

So i'm considering taking the plunge again (though with my luck....)

and I'm curious to find out from the community what the overall sentiment is about this device and what flaws or issues you have observed.

I think i'll be using this primarily as a slate, so i'm not too concerned about the origami keyboard's weaknesses
    but aside from the overheating (which is a very valid concern)

What other things should I be aware of?

Thanks in advance for your contributions!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Mine has been wonderful --- minor glitches/issues:

- USB-C cable went bad and had to be replaced
    - when certain USB devices are plugged in, when the machine goes into power saving mode the screen will strobe alarmingly

and of course the Windows stylus as 11th finger debacle.

3. lightstrum

lightstrum Pen Pal - Newbie

Just for your info. If you are going to purchase a G. B. 12. NEWEGG has SM-W728VZKCVZW, which has a PCIE drive and is totally loaded at a great price.

WillAdams and DRTigerlilly like this.
  4. sammmy

sammmy Pen Pal - Newbie

Also, do not forget that Book 12 has more pixels and a more power hungry processor, which leads to reduced battery life.
    That is why I went with Book 10, which on top is fanless. I find even the battery of Book 10 inadequate - I do mainly handwriting or web browsing and have to recharge midday.

5. LeoZappa

LeoZappa Pen Pal - Newbie

My main problems with this (otherwise great) device are:

1) vertical yellow stripes on the screen, due to failing blue OLEDs. I stilll have to try and ask for warranty replacement and see how it goes. Just keep in mind that this amoled screen is the same as for the galaxy tab pro s from a few years ago. It is NOT as recent or good as the latest samsung smartphones.

2) PWM of the screen - can live with it lowering contrast in the Intel graphics panel and using F.lux to further lower the brightness

3) "plugged in, discharging" happens all th etime, probably jsut a failing cable.

Thermals and fan noise of this tablet are not as good as those of the SP5/SP6. But they improve greatly if you take a bit of time to set up Throttlestop to do some undervolting.

WillAdams likes this.
  6. deetailed

deetailed Pen Pal - Newbie

My issues:
    - Screen flashing if brightness is too low at low ambient light. kind of good as it interferes with my unhealthy habit of using the computer in the dark.
    - Book Settings app can't open, so I'm stuck at battery life extender mode (85% max). I called customer service about this but they are utterly useless. Not sure if this is Samsung issue, Windows 10 issue, or caused by myself due to using Winaero's registry tweaks to change system font & some other modifications.

WillAdams likes this.