1. You may have noticed that TabletPCReview looks a little different. That's because we've moved to a new, streamlined platform, XenForo. Have yourself a look around and engage with your peers. Tips for completing basic tasks are here. Should you encounter any bugs or issues, please post them in this thread, so that we can prioritize and fix them. And feel free to let us know your opinions of the new site.

What is zero gravity sensor in Gateway Tablet?

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by bostitch, Sep 11, 2007.

1. bostitch

bostitch Pen Pal - Newbie

I notice there is 7200rpm 80GB HD option with zero gravity sensor for Gateway Tablet both C-120X and C-140X small business version. I didn't have that option when I purchase S-7125C (the small business version of C-120X) a couple months ago. Does anyone have any idea what is it?

My wild guess would be a shock sensor just like the Fujitsu's tablet and Lenovo's tablet. If that is true, I hope it can be added to our existing tablet.
  2. tomtheweirdguy

tomtheweirdguy Pen Pal - Newbie

It sounds like a sensor that detects the computer falling and returns the hard drive head to a standby position to prevent damage to the drive. I'm no expet on hdd construction though, so I'm probably calling things by the wrong name. :)
  3. MJCS

MJCS Pen Pal - Newbie

A simple google search:
    http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7199969.html
  4. bostitch

bostitch Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks!

The sensor sounds useful to me because it would protect my harddrive (hence my data) when there is sudden acceleration and I imagine it could be used for auto-rotation and other stuff too if someone can write a software taking advantage of this sensor. What's your opinion? Is it useful?

Also, is it possible to add this sensor to my current S-7125C? Is this part of the hard drive or is it an additional piece of hardware? Does anyone have their Gateway tablet (either C-120X or C-140X) equipped with this sensor? I wonder how good Gateway implement this sensor versus other tablet that has this sensor.
  5. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

These sensors are included in some hard drives. I would recommend swapping out your hard drive before you try anything further.