What is zero gravity sensor in Gateway Tablet?

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by bostitch, Sep 11, 2007.

1. bostitch

bostitch Pen Pal - Newbie

I notice there is 7200rpm 80GB HD option with zero gravity sensor for Gateway Tablet both C-120X and C-140X small business version. I didn't have that option when I purchase S-7125C (the small business version of C-120X) a couple months ago. Does anyone have any idea what is it?

My wild guess would be a shock sensor just like the Fujitsu's tablet and Lenovo's tablet. If that is true, I hope it can be added to our existing tablet.

2. tomtheweirdguy

tomtheweirdguy Pen Pal - Newbie

It sounds like a sensor that detects the computer falling and returns the hard drive head to a standby position to prevent damage to the drive. I'm no expet on hdd construction though, so I'm probably calling things by the wrong name. :)

3. MJCS

MJCS Pen Pal - Newbie

A simple google search:
    http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7199969.html

4. bostitch

bostitch Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks!

The sensor sounds useful to me because it would protect my harddrive (hence my data) when there is sudden acceleration and I imagine it could be used for auto-rotation and other stuff too if someone can write a software taking advantage of this sensor. What's your opinion? Is it useful?

Also, is it possible to add this sensor to my current S-7125C? Is this part of the hard drive or is it an additional piece of hardware? Does anyone have their Gateway tablet (either C-120X or C-140X) equipped with this sensor? I wonder how good Gateway implement this sensor versus other tablet that has this sensor.

5. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

These sensors are included in some hard drives. I would recommend swapping out your hard drive before you try anything further.