What is your tm2's Boot Time?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by soeharyo, Mar 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave_S

Dave_S Pen Pal - Newbie

Mines takes 75 seconds booting from the hdd. Sdd coming tomorrow so I'll see what difference that makes.

2. Oliver Beyer

Oliver Beyer Scribbler - Standard Member

Clean install all the way. I can't stand the bloat and the 80GB Postville is too small to waste space on the crap that is installed on the HDD.

3. soeharyo

soeharyo Pen Pal - Newbie

I was going to ask, how do you deal with a "downsize" from 320 or 500gb to a 80gb... As for me I might end up waiting for another year before I get a 250 or 500gb ssd... hopefully the prices would have dropped by then. I currently have a 500gb 7200rpm, but I don't think I can handle a downsize to a 80gb, even if is ssd.

4. Xerott

Xerott Pen Pal - Newbie

That's the issue I have. I just checked my current laptop and I'm using 120gb, and I don't even have any of my music or videos on there. I need to do a little more research into what's taking so much space, but I'd rather wait til prices come down a little and get a larger ssd.

5. thirdeye

thirdeye Pen Pal - Newbie

you can get the Samsung PM800 256gb for $400-450 on ebay. that makes it $1.56 / gb. it supports TRIM and is almost as fast as the Intel.

6. beere

beere Pen Pal - Newbie

But compared to $0.10 for non-ssd its still too expensive.

I would buy one if i get it about 0.5$/GB!

7. thirdeye

thirdeye Pen Pal - Newbie

I was just pointing that out because I know that's the price point a lot of people seem to be aiming for, myself included.
    $0.50 / gb...... you're gonna have to wait quite a few years to get a decent SSD at that price point.

8. Telo

Telo Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm at 41sec with an 80Gb Intel G2 Postville (clean install with drivers and antivir 10). Don't remember exactly but I had about 60 or 70 processes running. Tonight I go through and see what else I can turn off to get the boot time down a few more seconds. Im Impressed by the sub 30 times you guys are getting!

9. davidab

davidab Pen Pal - Newbie

on battery power, and with a 3G dongle attached, it took 25 secs to get to the password screen, and 42 secs to get to Internet Explorer opening (inc typing my password in). there were 79 processes running while typing this post.

this is with an Intel 160GB SSD, a clean install of Windows 7 Pro, 1.3Ghz cpu, 4GB Ram, MS Security and MSN Messenger.

10. soeharyo

soeharyo Pen Pal - Newbie

ditto!

I have an 80 gb on my acer right now. and I seldom use it, yet it has only 12gb free space left.

At this moment, I may only be able to afford ~160gb ssd max, but I don't think that is sustainable for me.

besides, I have paid the extra to go with the 500gb 7200rpm... which makes it hard to make this upgrade-downgrade to 160gb ssd.

Looks like i will wait this one out.