What is your limit for a compromise?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Kumabjorn, Jan 7, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Man.., if Photoshop were to pop out of existence tomorrow...

People would survive, but it would seriously screw up a lot of workflows and create a lot of panic. Photoshop is the Industry Standard.

In the 20-some years I've been working with graphics software, I've noodled around with lots of different programs, and I've found a few that do some specific things better than PS, (ClipStudio Paint, for instance, is better at brush-engine stuff for drawing and inking), but no piece of software, and I mean, NOT ONE, in all that time, has come close to being as pragmatic, reliable, consistent or as capable across such a wide range of indices as Adobe's flagship. CSP is a total joke when it comes to handling file formats, for instance, where PS wields -literally- an unparalleled portfolio of save/read formats offering users deep-access to obscure functions within all the dozens of algorithms, both open source and licensed official IP. It's pretty damned astonishing, actually. I mean, GIMP, for a long time, couldn't calibrate colours using Pantne's official CMYK colour-matching index because to do so would require the software developers and users pay a license fee to Pantone. Adobe, as part of its mandate, takes care of that kind of behind the scenes paperwork legal bullcrap, and industry totally demands it. Sending files to press using some flaky opensource 'standard' can work, but really, it's a waste of time and resources and people don't take you seriously.

If your job requires that kind of power, then sure, you can probably find some other piece of software which will get you there, but you *know* that Photoshop can do it, and has been doing it for decades, with support in the form of paid tech help and user knowledge bases. AND you know that the people you're sending your files off to also know Photoshop, so you don't have to talk them through some half-baked task-specific piece of OS freeware which nobody else is trained on and which will probably vanish from the web in five years, leaving you stuck with vital files you can't open.

This is why when Adobe tries to be clever and makes changes, it rocks the world. Photoshop has become one of those cultural and industrial edifices.

That could change, (think Apple's movie editing software which everybody used and swore by, and which, in a display of utterly dazzling insanity, Apple fsked up royally, causing pretty much the entire film industry to switch platforms), but it would only change to a different primary focal point. Culture needs something like Photoshop.

It's probably some genetic level directive that there be certain standard focal points in each important human category where the majority of the human tribe agree to tie their conscious awareness. Those focal points can change, but it's usually a big deal when it happens.

It's why everybody uses goddamned Microsoft Word to write documents -when there are tons of possibilities for text editing out there.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    doobiedoobiedum and stoneseeker like this.
  2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I agree with that sentiment in principle, for sure! And substance painter is a great example of an application slowly pushing Photoshop out of a specific workflow step for some studios. But yes, your right in that production pipelines (in the fields I'm familiar with -film, fx and animation-) depend on the Adobe ecosystem currently (of course it could change one day, I just think that day is probably a long way off!). I guess careers wouldn't be over if it stopped existing, but man it would be a real mess for months trying to reconfigure entire new pipelines and workflows. I would personally have to go back to education-mode in order to be relevant. I depend on Photoshop and After Effects for 95% of everything I do and the way they work together is so crucial to my workflow I would be in the dark for quite a while working out a new workflow for every variety of circumstance in my day to day work.

I don't want to derail the convo too much, but just as a current example with my job of the last 6 months: I currently am Art Directing a trailer pitch for a movie (Its been a ton of fun, and small enough I still get to paint lots. When its released, I cant wait to share it here :)). It's 2D animation in 2.5D (done in Flash, though ToonBoom is taking over slowly). So Flash .swf's, Photoshop .PSD format work together in incredibly nifty ways in Adobe After Effects. There is no substitution for the things they do in tandem with each other, unless your willing to jump through a ton of hoops and make some compromises along the way. I'll just list a few of those things that come to the top of my head:

-.PSD's are interpreted as compositions and each group and blending mode and every setting you use in Photoshop correlates with AE in a way that makes your life easier when you import. It is truly compatible.
    -In photoshop I can effectively design, paint, color correct, fix (liquify, median, and warp are so common in my workflow), and organize the composition and use photoshop to do every preliminary to a scene in AE and organize it to fit. No other application has each of those options to do it all as effectively in one app. It requires a few different ones, like the excellent apps you mentioned, but even then there will be bugs when I import that I will need to work around.
    -I can edit all my assets on the fly through the AE interface and Photoshop thanks to the Adobe ecosystem and the way they update and correlate together.
    -.swf's and PSDs play really nice together in some pretty amazing ways that is probably not worth trying to explain now, but it's what I rely on.

Certainly some apps do specific things better. PS just has the very unfair advantage of being around for much longer, with waaaay more features and more R&D and pipeline specific compatibility behind it than any other alternative.

I will say though, whenever I find myself in a situation where I don't NEED to use it, I often take advantage of that. A while back I just needed to hash out some really early design stuff and find an appealing shape for a central part of an environment, so I broke out my lovely Pentel Ink pen and a sketchbook! It was sooo nice. Then I imported the best of the sketches and got to work in old faithful PS. ;)

3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not just big FX industry - I've been busy these last few weeks teaching Photoshop to a group of older private students. One used to work in print with a major retailer who has studios with lighting, computers and computer monitor set up to colour calibrate accurately across Adobe's standard for print purposes.
    Another is a textile designer who has to translate her designs into pantone colours for print and her industry has to have a standard that doesn't change. One of the reasons Pantone still exists. She just has to use Photoshop with the designers she works with.

One of the most truly stupid decisions Apple ever made (alongside Steve Jobs refusal to adopt styli to its devices). Although they sort of took a step back with Final Cut Pro to try and keep industry, Apple had burnt a lot of industry fingers mid project and that industry is not going back to Final Cut ever.

Our Media guys have been raving about this for a few years now, they have also tinkered with Fusion and Vegas but keep coming back to After Effects and Premiere.

Anyhow, in the SFX industry, Artistebot is right - that industry is heading towards newer tools but there's still the other 90% of industry from print to textiles to fashion (ever see a fashion designer working in illustrator creating designs on the fly?) there won't be much change.

stoneseeker and thatcomicsguy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.