What is your limit for a compromise?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Kumabjorn, Jan 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Exactly. Being able to get to the SSD is pretty important though if there's anything critical on there, unless everything is backed up often, or synced with the cloud. I'm not sure about the 3rd gen, but the 1st and 2nd gen X1 tablet had service training videos that show how to disassemble them. No glue gun needed, it's all screws and clips. :thumbsup:

thatcomicsguy, DRTigerlilly and Marty like this.
  2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

The repairability is becoming @#$%$#! near impossible...

I honestly have nothing i'm watching atm.

3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That's exactly the kind of manufacturer documentation and design I wish was standard with products.

Does anyone find it disheartening that the Right to Repair bills that were proposed in 18 States are still stalled in 2018?

A lot of US citizens are not aware, but you guys already have repair rights granted by the 1975 Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act:

(Motherboard)

"However, warranty conditions that forbid consumers from opening or repairing their devices are illegal under a provision of the 1975 Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that forbids "tying," meaning the conditions of the warranty "tie" the consumer to using a specific service or specific types of parts."

Yes, all those "warranty void" stickers, and Apple's service refusals, and restrictive EULAs, are all corporate BS.

The fact that you guys have to fight tooth-and-nail to introduce another law just to confirm your existing consumer rights...doesn't that make you hoping mad right now?! :mad:

Take a look at the legal trend in other countries:

(Quartz)

"In France, for example, a 2015 law requires manufacturers to tell customers—before they purchase an item—for how long repair parts will be available. That lets consumers decide how much they want to factor in the possibility for repairs when deciding whether to buy something new."
    This is what we need in North America. I say any manufacturer that actually respects consumer repair rights (by publishing service manuals, listing replacement components, and using modular/accessible chassis design) should get full TPCR respect. This is something we as consumers need to push harder!

/rant off :p

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Your avatar has never felt more appropriate. :D

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  5. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

That's why I'm done with Japanese brands (Fujitsu, Panasonic, Toshiba, Vaio). Damaged an LTE modem ribbon in my Fujitsu - took a lot of time and effort sourcing a replacement, and I was very lucky to get it. Wouldn't have damaged the damn ribbon if Fujitsu provided a disassembly instruction, to begin with.

6. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Full sized VGA or bust

Joking- I have an X1 yoga gen 2 and have been in love with it

JoeS likes this.
  7. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Great thread no real surpises...

I will not compromise on:

Wacom EMR pen or something very very close. The Apple pencil comes very close, but could be better. The Staedtler Digital Noris is probably the best digital stylus ever made aside from the Wacom Pro Pen.

Quailty made Hardware. I take my device everywhere, it needs to be tough. Apple and Microsoft are best followed by Samsung, and HP. HP offering up to 5 years extended warranty/accident protection is awesome.
    I cannot fully express the poor quality crap that Wacom sells, it is a joke, their pen tech is great, but their mobile PCs...WTF.

A top-end CPU for given OS/platform.

What I am flexible on:

OS: Prefer Mac and Android, can make Windows and iOS work too.

Everytime I hear a digital artist say "must run photoshop" I simply laugh to myself. I guess it is the same, almost insane, need to have only Wacom EMR?

Most everything else can be flexible, depending upon my needs and expectatons.

So far the Tab S3 and Zbook X2 have been what is working for me. Considering the power of the Zbook X2, I still tend to use my Tab more, due to it being "not effing windows", its weight and battery life when I am on the go.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    WillAdams likes this.
  8. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

To clarify, in the majority of cases artists who would write that wouldn't mean it to be preference (like EMR vs. AES), but a necessity to their careers. Adobe photoshop is the industry standard by a long shot that most professionals have to use, even if they did prefer to sketch in CSP or Sketchbook. If an artist came on here and claimed that it quite simply had to run Photoshop well that would be the least surprising thing they could say really. I have helped numerous colleagues find the right tabletPC, and although its a given, the first thing they check and ask about is, "how well does it run Photoshop"? because they know that's where they will be spending 80% of their PC time.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  9. djas

djas Graffiti User

Great topic.

Not an artist nor a creative. My work-issued Surface 3 is still good enough for IT-centric workflow and as a replacement paper notebook. If anything, I'd take two and Miracast to the other as an extended desktop while on the go.

Starlight5 and artistebot like this.
  10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Interesting solution, but once you start thinking about it, as they get thinner and lighter that may very well be a feasible solution for a multi monitor setup while mobile. There is something called Duet on iOS, it works with Macs and PCs, but such a solution inside iOS would certainly make the new cheaper Pro model attractive as a second complementary device.

artistebot likes this.