What is your limit for a compromise?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Kumabjorn, Jan 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. azaniramsan

azaniramsan Pen Pal - Newbie

Not talking about phones, SO-DIMM RAM slots in laptop took huge spaces. Manufacturers are racing to release the most "thinnest ultrabook" every now and then; slots are omitted to save spaces, simplify design, reduce weight and to milk customers by selling models with 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, etc with overpriced ram pricing. They gotta make some profit too.

Also, SD card can never replace or substitute RAM's job. RAM isn't supposed to be "hot-swapped" anytime user want and it's not on OS level. I get the idea of such concept but right now, its technically impossible. But who knows? anything can happen in the future.

You're missing the point. There are symbiosis between these chip makers and oem manufacturers for a long time which both took profit. Asus makes a motherboard for intel's processor. When intel refreshes their processor, Asus also releases new motherboard to support the new chipset and processor. Both get profit from their own product sales.

Now, with modular components, why would I need to buy new motherboard if I can just upgrade the inside right? I just need to buy new processor, adds more ram, and more SSD capacity whenever I need. For us the customers it's cool and could save us money, but I doubt Asus would want that.

2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

I wasn't even talking about dynamically changing your CPU and RAM while your portable drawing tablet / machine was still running but the proof of concept and technical reality exists and has done for over 10 years.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb964703(v=sql.105).aspx

https://www.petri.com/vsphere-hot-add-memory-and-cpu

Further, hot swapping RAM and Hot-adding CPUs has been built into servers and VRM as well as VMware for at least 10 years - not in consumer portables but even then, technology once reserved for servers is now available on consumer portables.

The future's only impossible if we allow it to be.

Intel's compute card already carries soldered on RAM. This is a concept which couldn't have been built even 10 years ago.

I'll stop there as I don't want to derail the thread further, I've been enjoying the contributions.

azaniramsan likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

While in theory, I'd say your perspective is great motivation for manufacturers to up their QA game, I think the sad reality is even if they put out a perfectly designed machine, they would not get rewarded in the manner you're referring.

It's really a mind game.

If someone is using an Apple device and they encounter something frustrating, Apple users will assume they are doing something wrong.

Play the same game on a Windows/other device, and the users will assume the device is doing something wrong.

The greater impact of this double standard over time is huge: it disproportionally skews the industry direction towards artificially simplified/feature-restricted devices. It's not good design, and it paves the way for consumer manipulation, planned obsolesce and other generally scummy policies that have become the norm.

So my conclusion is that it's not good that Apple is being rewarded. Instead we should be rewarding manufacturers to push the boundaries of technology and be responsive to enthusiast community input (and yes, be more forgiving of initial bugs and/or learn how to fix them ourselves ;)).

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ha ha. I agree.

But I've also been making an effort to frame things more positively: It's not that Apple users are easily manipulated and cowed by authority. It's that Apple users are human.

I have a soft spot for the human condition. But it is definitely worth paying attention to Jordan B. Peterson when he notes: "There is nothing more dangerous than a weak man".

Starlight5 and Marty like this.
  5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

For sketcher, illustrators and designers doing a first pass on stuff its great.
    Your right though, given how many creative professionals HAVE to use Adobe software, Maya, or Nuke etc, its certainly not an answer to the creative professional market in full, not even a bit. My issue is if I was say Art Directing on a project while visiting family for a week, I would need to open PSD's and write/draw on them, and maybe use After Effects to try composing assets to see how they were working, etc. and obviously none of that I can do on iPad pro, so beyond drawing and painting or independent projects where you can use any software you want, its still just a novelty item for most of us.

I will say though its pretty nice to draw on, and iOS seems more stable than Android on the whole. I am considering going to a ipad pro as my next casual mobile sketching tablet when my NotePro gives up the ghost.

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

While you still can't outright open photoshop on an Ipad....you could Drop box PSD Files and open, edit, and save the PSD files via Clip Studio Paint. Procreate and Medibang also are PSD-able to a degree....but CSP has the least amount of compromises. But if you're like me and....primarily use Photoshop because of an existing massive brush collection you've acquired and need to use those....hundred or thousands of brushes....then you're still out of luck.

stoneseeker and Starlight5 like this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'd only recommend the iPad Pro to people who I don't think are cut out for the challenges which often come with more powerful and complicated tools. It's just not for everyone; I know some really smart and creative people who just don't like to mess with computers. -Or to people who want to explore around in their off hours. (Even the best chefs have enjoyed eating a spoonful straight from the peanut butter jar every now and then.)

But if you have the skills, the need, the ability and interest in learning, then it makes little sense to not capitalize on the power of a device like the Samsung Galaxy Book -or one of the many other oddball Windows machines. But Mac or PC, people who know their jobs and take them seriously tend to be less concerned about fitting in with the "wear the right fashions" crowd. They're too busy actually shaping culture to give a hoot.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Starlight5 and stoneseeker like this.
  8. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

After getting the Surface Pro, b/c of my broken Toshiba...and still using the broken Toshiba over the Surface for inking

Absolutely positively will not compromise on Wacom EMR for a device to be used as a tablet.

Also because of the Surface, I think Repairability will factor heavily into my next purchase.

9. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

This sort of references the old article on Macs from around the millennium where creative industry Mac users just wanted a machine that allowed them to get on with the day job.

Example, this 2006 article from Ken Rockwell's photography site.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/why-pros-use-mac.htm

I agree that many like to tinker with their computer and these are more likely to be PC users as Windows allows you to do all that. Windows has become a lot more creative industry friendly and there's little real difference anymore with desktops. I personally know many games industry types who have iPad Pro's for sketching and other artwork. They also use Windows at work and they tend not to bother about the old Apple vs Windows fight. ;)

thatcomicsguy and dellaster like this.
  10. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So which tablets are your radar right now?

I love repairability too, but I'd hesitate to put that on my "required features" list (for fear of never being able to upgrade :D).

The last tablet I was able to really repair (relatively easily) was my ancient EP121. Even the rare tablets are user-serviceable these days (like the Z Canvas), have tricky/undocumented opening procedures, and sourcing the right components (even just ribbon cables and connectors) even more of a shot-in-the-dark.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018