What is your limit for a compromise?

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Kumabjorn, Jan 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

The ipad pro. And it's selling pretty well, today more than ever.
    Despite what people generally think of it in this forum. ;)

dellaster and doobiedoobiedum like this.
  2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Not an artist, so I can't say for sure, but isn't it still limited for artistic purposes? No Photoshop, can't connect external shortcut keys. That sort of thing. Is the 12.9 big enough as a canvas?

3. Azzart

It's expanding like wildfire.
    I follow a lot of internationally well known illustrators of my generation on Facebook and they either adopted it as a secondary/doodling machine in the last year or they wish to get it after trying one from a colleague.
    Much is thanks to Procreate though.

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

So Procreate is becoming "mobile Photoshop"?

5. Azzart

Not really. More like the software artists like the most for painting.
    Photoshop isn't something tailored for artists, it's a necessity, something that over the years people ended up needing to use for work.
    Procreate is fun. At least if you're someone who draws/paint.

6. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

No mouse support on OS level limits its functionality immensely.

7. Azzart

You think someone who wants to draw cares about mouse support? ;)

Starlight5 likes this.
  8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well.., the iPad Pro was the first to get it right.

It's the same way the Zune came before the iPod, but history will never remember or care. Marketing is half the battle; if you can't communicate your idea (a tablet you can draw on!) to people, you might as well be singing in an empty stadium.

Because, unless you are a tech nerd, (hello!), or really competent across multiple disciplines, (and most artists are not), then how would you even know about the latest half-baked windows drawing tablet (which doesn't quite work)? More than half of the professional cartoonists I know, bless them, are still working on paper today. They are lost at sea when I start talking about digital art tech. They'd just be happier, really, if the whole thing went away and left them alone. But they DO know what "Apple" means. Apple is simple and Apple is safe.

The Surface line was great, except that it had a junky pen which everybody knows is junky. -I waited around for ages for a not-junky pen system, and STILL in order to get my Samsung to work properly, it required a complicated hack. That's off-putting. That's stupid. Then we have Wacom, whose gear costs three times what an iPad pro costs, breaks frequently and their support monkeys treat customers who have legitimate complaints with suspicion and basically only replace damaged gear if you win three rounds of telephone Pokemon against them. And pay for shipping. That's a horrendous state of affairs and we all know it! We complain about it incessantly. -And we are fully justified in doing so!

Apple-type creatives aren't generally a tech savvy bunch; they just want a system which works without bugs, a name brand they can trust, and which doesn't require massive tech smarts in order to make run. FFS, we have threads on this board where we have spent hours just trying to figure out which pens work on which systems!

That's pathetic.

Now as you all probably know, I'd rather go back to paper than use an Apple product, but I can totally understand why those iPad Pros are selling. And good for Apple, btw. They deserve to be rewarded for getting all that stuff right when everybody else has been playing clown car physics and being generally oblivious to everything we've been shouting for the last ten years.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  9. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

I think I want to browse the web, type and edit texts, and do other stuff on the very same device I use to draw. I don't like the idea of specialized devices which shine in one area yet are crippled in others, while the current level of technology clearly allows to combine all the best features in single device without any compromises.

Selofain likes this.
  10. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree, but while we are talking pie in the sky, why can't I dream of a big portable light tablet that I can upgrade by swapping in out modules to suit me and not the guy down the road? He or she would have their own ideas for a modular tablet concept that he or should could personalise to suit them.

And most people are frustrated at their soldered on 4GB of RAM when they later realise they needed 32GB to work on an animation.

Anyhow, I disagree your negative on compactness - right now, you can add extra memory to a tablet by inserting a tiny micro SD card. I know it's read and addressed differently to onboard RAM by the OS but that's a coding & correctable affair. Back to micro SD - very few people have complained their smartphone or tablet is heavier than it should be because of a micro SD slot.

Besides, if I wanted to buy a 19 inch WACOM cintiq quality screen that I could add a CPU module to - that is portable and acceptable to me. Someone down the road could add a compute card to an 8 inch screen and be happy with their choice.

Hence I hope they would be looking at such concepts.

So am I, why can't a laptop / ultrabook / tablet be a high quality 8 / 12 / 15 / 19 inch screen I can add a CPU card to and work on my photoshop files while on a train? Why does a laptop / tablet or ultrabook for 2020 have to be the same form factor and principle of a tablet from 1999?

Loved your comment about paper vs using Apple, we've had our moments in the past. Anyhow, Apple did have to wait for Steve Jobs to die before they introduced the pencil though I do remember reading about their patents for stylus digitisers even while Jobs was alive.