what is this?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by sonrisa, Aug 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willember

willember Pen Pal - Newbie

newegg has this picture in the t4220 image gallert.
    [​IMG]

what is it?

2. ahamilton55

ahamilton55 Scribbler - Standard Member

Those are screen protectors. At times your pen can pick up certain things on the tip that will scratch the screen. The work as a hard plastic cover for the screen so if any scratching (nothing too deep) occurs you simply replace the screen protector and still have a your beautiful tablet in pristine condition.

3. saps

saps Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone want to chime in and let a "newbie" know if they're necessary?

4. AUindd

AUindd Pen Pal - Newbie

I have it on mine and it seems like a good idea. Honestly, it's hard for me to notice it there. It does pick up some glare, but it's still worth it.

Although I had a hell of a time figuring out which piece was the actual screen protector. It comes in three pieces: a sticky film cover, a thicker piece, and an even thicker piece. I tried each one until I finally figured out one of them had adhesive around the edge (hey it was hard to see). Maybe I'm just a moron?

5. ahamilton55

ahamilton55 Scribbler - Standard Member

I would suggest doing it. You never know what could happen and a scratch on the screen sucks and I know because I use a MacBook at work that I'm waiting to get funds to fix and it's tagged completely across the screen. These are about $75 for 5 where a new plastic cover for the screen would run about $100.

6. airgaps

airgaps Scribbler - Standard Member

Check buy.com..the 5 x 3m vikuity 12" are around 40 with the google checkout.

7. MichaelH99

MichaelH99 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes.

It's just a matter of time before a piece of grit comes between the screen and the pen or something hard or sharp comes in contact with the screen while it's in slate mode.

If the screen protector is on, the screen protector gets scratched or ruined. Pull it off and put a new one on if it's bad enough.

If the protector isn't on your screen, you'll get a permanent ding or scratch on the screen and that's much more expensive to fix.

8. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Michael is quite correct.....
    I damaged a screen many years ago on my PDA just because I couldn't be bothered to apply a protector.

Lesson learned I never use any of my screens without protection.

I've been using NuShield now for some time and can recommend them.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And for those on a budget... overhead projector transparencies work quite well for screens 12.1" and smaller, though I wouldn't advise replacing them less than twice a year since they scratch quite easily. But this is a seriously dirt-cheap solution - my wallet's very happy with my choice.

If scratches aren't reason enough to consider a screen protector, consider also conversation/sneeze spittle, possible contact with cigarette smoke... physical damage isn't the only thing bad for the screen. Also think about dust problems; the screen attracts dust quite easily especially in dusty/smoky rooms, and you wouldn't like to wipe the screen directly would you...?

10. Rieuk

Rieuk Scribbler - Standard Member

I haven't put any protectors on my screen on the premise that there is already a layer coating the screen that my T4215 came with (that stuff that is meant to make the writing experience more 'paper like').

So far it has one 2mm long scratch on it which is quite unfortunate, but when it is scratched to the point where it starts to annoy me I'll take it off and replace it with a Strong Engineering protector - a time which I am looking forward to since I am sick of the graininess this current screen coating gives me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.