What is this guy smoking? - 7 reasons an Ep121 is rubbish!

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by burtz, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Pages like 'ENGADGET' really do stick the knife into Windows 7 with regards to touch, with every single article always featuring the same little knock at the end, 'Not designed for touch'. Then, you have a whole heap of people repeating the same tired thing.

Heck, before the ipad, next to no-one had used a tablet so how come we suddenly have so many experts? Other than myself (UK), I know of no other person that has owned a tablet before the iPad. Now, my GF has a tm2 and has watched me use the HP TC1100, Latitude XT2, 2740p etc and loves the stylus and touch screen (Partially due to games like world of Goo).

I would really like someone to have a word with all these 'experts'.

2. burtz

burtz Pen Pal - Newbie

Forget the experts Excalibur...Tell us more about GF 1.0 and her experience....

3. mittmark

mittmark Scribbler - Standard Member

Yesterday, in a meeting I saw two people typing away on their IPads. Then, one pulled out his journal with page after page of handwritten notes, taken each day to remember the days important tasks. Ouch! I just smiled to myself, this guy needs OneNote with Windows 7! Too bad Ipad doesn't have a pen input sytlus. The point is they love the IPad, but don't even know what's possible with a stylus. They carry three devices, a smartphone, IPad, and a hand written paper notepad!

4. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@burtz. before she had notes all over the place and often lost a whole lot of them, along with a bundle of various paper items jammed into the laptop case. It's not been easy as she and other people do find it hard to break out of their daily activities.

@mittmark. Uhh. No way is an ipad coming anywhere near this domain. If it can't be locked down by Group policy, it's not here.

5. salgod

salgod Pen Pal - Newbie

This blogger has to approve reviews before they are posted, so you'll never see mine on his website, so I decided to post it here. That guy is delusional.

You're not thinking about attorneys either! I've been waiting years for a tablet like this! I don't think that your criticisms are well thought out or representative of why this tablet is so popular (so get ready to go into hiding).
    Firstly: This criticism is silly. If you are scared of big things, fine, don't hang out with the big boys. If you think this tablet is too big, then you need to start working out. I give speeches using this tablet daily, and I hold it with one hand while doing it. I can quickly cover multiple concepts using OneNote, quickly refer to multiple depositions using searching in OneNote and Word as well as give power-point presentations in the court room with . . . wait for it . . . embedded videos using flash.
    Secondly: My previous laptop weighed in at 8.5 pounds. that 17 inch beast was too much. Now, I can do everything on this tablet, and at a whopping 2.5 pounds, I don't see why you think it's too heavy. My girl friend runs with a pink 2.5 pound running weight in each hand every day. Maybe if you did the same then you could lift it.
    Thirdly: I don't think you've ever tried to use Windows 7 on a touch screen. When you initially turn the machine on, the stock settings are not designed for touch. But, oh my God, wait for it . . . you can adjust the settings!! (Oh no! He said it!! CHANGE!!!!). Yes, the default W7 settings are not set for touch, but if you took longer than 10 seconds playing with this tablet, you would have figured that out. Adjusting the size of the scroll buttons and other settings make W7 an extremely touch friendly environment. Just use your brain for a second, Microsoft has been producing tablets for over 7 years. They only use one operating system for both their laptops, desktops, and tablets. Yet you can change the operating systems settings for each.
    Fourthly: It's not a stylus. It's called a Waycom Pen. A stylus is something that used to come on cell phones and PDAs. A Waycom Pen is something that graphics artists use on graphics tablets. I can't believe I have to explain this difference to you, honestly, what business do you even have reviewing technology if you can't even bother to take 30 seconds to learn about what you are reviewing. I was going to explain the difference between a waycom pen and a stylus, but seriously, this is ridiculous.
    Fifthly: An IPad is a useless, over sized iPhone that can't run simple programs. I'm so sick of tech people attempting to compare computers to phones. Yes, I'm glad that in your infinite research you learned that an iPad tablet is different in kind from a tablet that runs a full version of windows. The difference is that I don't have to download 30 applications to get my Asus EEE slate to do what I want it to do. Furthermore, I can't use iPad applications because I have to constantly be wary of applications data mining privileged documents. And for what? The ability to download 100,000 useless applications that I don't need and of which 90% don't work? No, neither android nor apple create applications with more functionality than a computer running a full version of Windows 7.
    Sixthly: Refer to the points I made under "Thirdly". You obviously never took the time to learn anything about tablets and Windows 7.
    Seventhly: It comes with an arguably portable bluetooth keyboard. There are more portable keyboards on the market that work with this. Now, I don't want to destroy your world view or anything, but many iPad users also use keyboards with their iPads. I don't understand how this reflects poorly on the Asus slate?
    Conclusion: Your review is a sad example of someone taking the fox news approach to reviewing technology. You spend 60 seconds with a product, then you fill in all the gaps in your knowledge and understanding of the product with your preconceived notions and talking points from conservative wing nuts, err, I mean apple fan boys. Then you spew out pithy drivel like this that seeks only to confuse other consumers into believing like you. Next time take an honest approach to the technology you are reviewing, and not an ideological one.

6. TheOnlyKingArthur

TheOnlyKingArthur Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think he any time with the device, let alone the 30 seconds it would have taken to read the specs and at least see that it comes with a keyboard. It seems that he saw the device on YouTube or a blog somewhere and decided to rant about it because the product name doesn't start with a lowercase 'i'. Ignorance is bliss.

7. JustDavid

JustDavid ASUS EP121 Slate user

Wouldn't that be:
    'i'gnorance is bliss
    ?

8. TheOnlyKingArthur

TheOnlyKingArthur Scribbler - Standard Member

Ha! or iGnorance is bliss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.