What is this guy smoking? - 7 reasons an Ep121 is rubbish!

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by burtz, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. three_pineapples

three_pineapples Pen Pal - Newbie

Go excalibur/dam6!

now, please write a review, and post it here so we can all help improve it, and then flatten the author of that article with it! :p

2. JackBFlippinNimble

JackBFlippinNimble Scribbler - Standard Member

If you do write one, consider this. I am not an artist. I do, however, need to run proprietary programs for work. They require win7. Since I am outside and away from a desk, I need to be able to work as I am moving. I am never outside at any location for more than a couple of hours, but even that makes carrying a traditional laptop unfeasible. For years I have tried using voice recorders, but it nearly doubles the time to do inventory. PDA's just were too small and a complete PITA. So after trying many things, I always came back to pen and paper. I also have to edit photos, so I take the pen and paper to my desk, upload photos and then edit them. Then tag them. Then have to go to our other location and do it all again. I also do a lot of work at home, or wherever I get some time to not be traveling. Tablets up to now have been underpowered or don't run win7. So I have been using a dell e6400 for portability, saving to a sd card and then going home and uploading to a 17" lappy for speed. Using my paper pad to read my notes and get info to tag photos. Over the last 2 weeks, I have replaced the dell, the pen and the paper. I have used my beast of a laptop (17") a total of 2 times, and that ws because I was unsure how well this would do, but after a couple of times using both computers to make sure nothing went wrong, I am now able to only use this. My point is, he stated for you to write a review, but that it still had niche market. It may, but the market is larger than just graphic artists. This thing is phenominal in respect to any other tablet/slate I have tried. SO go give him hel..... er, I mean... talk some sense into him. Get him to at least REALLY try it. Because it is obvious he never tried it in person. Unless he picked it up, only used touch, and then became angry because he could't find ANGRY Birds. Lol.

3. murfmiser

murfmiser Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, the need for good tablets extend well beyond the artists. l am a student. As a student. I've always used a laptop that can run all my productivity software like office, eclipse, Virtual Machines, Visual Studio, Adobe Reader Acrobat and Flash, and a full web experience. This slate however is able to fill the laptop position very nicely while also picking up my binder and handwritten notes, and my books (kindle for PC).

This slate, with one note installed is absolutely perfect for a student.

4. JackBFlippinNimble

Murf, I think this niche market may be a little larger than the naysayers think. This is an incredible tool for many of us to be able to take advantage of.

5. TheOnlyKingArthur

TheOnlyKingArthur Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah no doubt! Even if it was limited to only artists, companies like Adobe, Autodesk, Wacom, etc. all target their flagship products to artists and are anything but small companies. Niche market? Hardly. Digital artists aren't some small unheard of group of organic basket weavers from a remote island. Photoshop is just as well heard of as Office...

6. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And how about this; I'm not an artist, but l find that I ink faster and better than l can type, hence a digital pen.
    If the pen (digital) is so defunct, then why would there be so many styli in the market for all those capacitive touch only tablets? Fact is, as much as some would want to admit, tablet (any form of tablet) users are driven to it, for two uses; 1. touch for surfing & 2. Pen for accurate note taking which requires a digital pen as against capacitive stylus. One can rightly argue that a device that offer both features is & would be preferable to one that offers only one of them (capacitive only or resistive). Wacom digital pen, a plus for the EP121.
    Windows 7 as opposed to the mobile OSes is a full Os and trying to fit it in to a 7, 8 or 10" device doesn't always guarantee the best experience with usage, but a 12" makes a lot of difference in this regard. Another plus for the EP121

7. JackBFlippinNimble

I agree. And by niche market, that is just the term I always hear whenever anyone that doesn't get it seems to say about tablets/slates. I think this thing is going to open quite a few doors, and after just a few weeks with it, I can't imagine ever not having this (or something just like it) again. I already have had a couple of people at work ask what it is, chuckle as they tell me how worthless tablets are, then by the time I am done showing them what I do with it, ask me where they can get one. LMAO each time that happens. But it is because they listen to the experts, and the experts can't be wrong, can they?

8. JackBFlippinNimble

Exactly. Anyone that talks down about it picks a feature or two. Battery life isn't 10 hours, or it isn't as light as.... or my 17' powerhouse can kick it's rear in Crysis, or it doesn't have apps. But when they actually look at the whole package, it is incredible. Win7 on Wacom tablet that is fast, quiet, cool, allows handwriting to text, or just hand written notes (and like you, I write much faster than I can type. It runs PS, office, proprietary progams as fast as most laptops. Portable yet sturdy. Great for spreadsheets, great for graphic artists, great for photo work, man, what (besides higher end gaming) can't it do? So I ask doubters this.... after I let them try it.... what don't you like? And as soon as I submit this, 3 more things will come to mind.

9. Steve1130

Steve1130 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yea this device is great honestly I use it for almost everything. I am in school for computer engineering and so far it has turned a few class mates and professor heads. What I don't understand is why people think windows 7 is so difficult to use with touch? I mean yea it doesn't have giant buttons to click on but with a little tweaking and a LITTLE extra effort and I mean little its perfectly functional .

10. TheOnlyKingArthur

TheOnlyKingArthur Scribbler - Standard Member

People don't think that from experience, they think it because it is a lot easier and more hip to spread popular rumors than it is to do actual research and testing of a product you think it's cool to bash.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.