What is this guy smoking? - 7 reasons an Ep121 is rubbish!

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by burtz, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Trouble is, that article, the article that stretches out far and wide can be quite damaging to Asus and the actual sales of the machine. April Fools is one thing but it's now the 2nd... with zero rebuttal.

The article SCREAMS of absolute ignorance. Then again, that is 'his' opinion, so fair enough, but that opinion.. see above

2. mittmark

mittmark Scribbler - Standard Member

This is an opinion and not a review. The writer should just state why the form factor and specs don't match his needs for a tablet. Also, he should be more familiar with the subject matter before jumping to conclusions. In the same sense, there is nothing wrong with the IPad - millions of people love the device. I suspect there are millions more who need more power, more than just apps, more input methods, more security, on and on.

Come on, a review should at least compare the product with others in the same product category, and not be a completely biased opinion.

3. three_pineapples

three_pineapples Pen Pal - Newbie

I wrote a comment too....what and absolute load of crap!

I also complained directly to the parent site, claiming the author was writing biased crap, and then not publishing any of the comments that opposed his view ;)

As long as there are comments printed with the story that show why the EP121 isn't as bad as he claims, I'll be happy!

4. Steve1130

Steve1130 Pen Pal - Newbie

I wrote a comment as well that was almost as bad as a review as the guy who claimed it had a flash hd camera and gps :D

5. TheOnlyKingArthur

TheOnlyKingArthur Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow I couldn't help responding to this lame review in the comments, though I doubt it will be approved...

Clearly you never touched this device once, and therefor you have no business giving a review. Since I do own this device (as well as an iPad), I am going to correct your seven main points.

1&2- Massive? It is almost identical in size and weight to an 11" MacBook Air, which many people rave about how small, thin and light it is. If you think the ASUS EP121 is too big to be portable, then perhaps you need to go do a few thousand pushups or something and then give it a try.

3&6- Yes it runs Windows 7 which isn't as touch friendly as a touch-only device like an iPad or Xoom, but with a few setting adjustments Windows 7 works surprisingly well with touch. As for the 'apps', you are joking right? You do realize that app is just short for application, and Windows has more applications than any other operating system. All my professional 'apps' that don't exist on iOS or Android run beautifully on my EEE Slate. I can't even copy files to and from an iPad. What a joke.

4- "No one bothers with stylus anymore." This statement, more than anything else you said, just shows how obliviously ignorant you are. Tell that stupid **** to the hundreds of thousands of artists and other professionals buying Wacom Cintiqs and penabled convertibles, tablets, slates and screens to draw, write and sculpt on. If there was no demand for a stylus on multi-touch devices, then why are there hundreds of third party stylus pens being sold for the iPad, which doesn't need one??? Steve Jobs is the only dip**** with a private war against stylus pens. Don't regurgitate his lame ass marketing lingo.

5- The iPad is half the price? Nice try. Compare the most expensive iPad to the most expensive EP121 model, then add in the price of the leather case, bluetooth keyboard and stylus pen, (which are all included with the ASUS), and the iPad cost the same price. The ASUS EEE Slate is also the same price as the 11" MacBook Air, but it has a faster processor and a Wacom pressure sensitive penabled screen. A 12" Wacom Cintiq screen is $1000 by itself, no computer just the screen. Don't be a moron, this tablet is VERY well priced.

7- This demonstrates clearly you never touched the EEE Slate for your pitiful review. It comes with a good quality bluetooth keyboard, and there is a button on the slate that brings up the onscreen keyboard. On top of that it has USB ports and 'unlocked' bluetooth so you can use literally millions of peripherals, something the iPad cannot do.

In summary this tablet is awesome, especially for artists or other professionals looking to do some real work with real 'apps' that aren't dumbed down for an over-sized phone. I run Photoshop, Illustrator, Painter, ZBrush, Maya and OneNote on my EP121 and they all work beautifully.

6. Raxel

Raxel Scribbler - Standard Member

Just don't care about such an ignorant crap. It is a waste of time IMO..

7. aerofx

aerofx Pen Pal - Newbie

he's probably just trolling.

8. mittmark

mittmark Scribbler - Standard Member

Well said, thanks for taking the time to do a point by point rebuttal.

9. burtz

burtz Pen Pal - Newbie

The reviewer must be a Sensitive wee Soul as I See from all our comments he has only published one comment lol.

10. Thibault

Thibault Pen Pal - Newbie

you know there is a say :

"When you point the moon with your finger to a monkey, the monkey sees the finger"

And that is exactly what that person does !

That opinion is interesting because it is exactly mainstream and apple oriented way of thinking :
    - "one piece of equipment for everyone and for everything."

It clearly did not occur to him that Asus was issueing a lot of different tablets, and that it is not by chance :

- you have the ep 121 slate
    - the transformer one
    - a smaller one with a phone attached
    - the EA800

As a whole it is very clever on asus side, because clearly we are at a turning point and if Steve Job's marketting is very good it is good for Apple, but for apple only.

Clearly in the smartphone area android has taken over the iphone in growth,
    the iphone or ipad are not the only answer to today's new uses.

That is the reason why it is interesting to explore what could be new uses, hence varying platforms.

In a way the asus ep 121 is very classical, it is in the same breed as Fuitsu stylistic slates or motions computers', etc.,.

All that is outside of the small little mainstream world of that unimaginative person !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.