What is the maximum RAM I can have on TX2000?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Bakura, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bakura

Bakura Pen Pal - Newbie

So, as stated, what is the maximum supported RAM I can install in my tx2000? I have a 64-bit Vista installed, will upgrade to W7-64-bit soon. Is there any limit by the motherboard or anything like that?

2. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As far as I can tell you will max out at 4gb. Some intel based systems are able to go beyond the manufacturer stated max memory, but I can't see where anyone has done the same with an AMD system. If you wanted to try it out you could purchase a 4gb module and see if it works though and just sell the module if it doesn't (you shouldn't lose too much money as they are fairly rare and sought after components).

3. Bakura

Bakura Pen Pal - Newbie

My original plan was to upgrade to 3 GB of RAM, but if there is a posibility I would like to try and put 4 GB.

But what you are basically saying is that if HP based the TX on an Intel platform I could possibly get more RAM out of my laptop?

4. TabbedOut

Possibly. For example on my tablet (and Lenovo, and possibly others) the OFFICIAL max ram was 4gb, HOWEVER, in reality this is not the case. Currently I am running 6gb, and am planning to bump it up to 8 in the next couple of days (as soon as an RMA is completed). I am unsure if something similar is going on with AMD but doubt it as I have heard no rumors to suggest it.

5. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

well the touchsmart tx2 can be configured with 8 gigs of ram on hp's site.

it seems as though the tx2 shares the same mother board as the tx2500, so you might be able to crank it up to 8 gigs with a 64 bit OS

just my speculation,
    -Tyler

6. TabbedOut

Good catch Tiezep, +1 rep

I have never heard of anyone bumping their TX2*** computer up past 4gb, however that could certainly be due to the cost of the modules. Even now they are not exactly cheap, but they have dropped pretty significantly in price as of late.

7. Bakura

Bakura Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been going through various web sites, including the previous mentioned HP's website. I found out that my TX2 comes with up to 4 GB of RAM, or so it says in the manual. I'm wondering if I want to try to upgrade it it further than 4 Gb. The only thing that I'm afraid of is the famous TX2 Nvidia flaw that HP is denying. I suppose you have heard that TX2's with Nvidia have a short lifespan of 1 ~1.5 years due to hot environment inside that damages the motherboard. It would kind of suck to upgrade the laptop only to discover that it broke down after a couple of months...

EDIT: I browsed another website to find out that they claim that TX2z can handle 8 Gb of RAM without exceeding manufacturers recommended limit. Here is the link to the website.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. trihy

trihy Scribbler - Standard Member

nvidia and tx2.... thats not possible.

tx2 is based on ati

9. Luthian

Luthian Pen Pal - Newbie

trihy, yes, the tx2z is ATI as is the tx2500z, hovever the tx2000z is nVidia as is the tx1000z.

The tx2z and 2500z both run the AMD Puma platform which means that they should, in theory, be running similar enough hardware that both should support the same components (such as 8GB RAM, which is the spec max on the tx2z). However, this does not apply to the tx1/2000 which are completely different systems than the later 2z/2500z and would likely not support more than the 4GB maximum that they were spec'ed to support.

10. trihy

trihy Scribbler - Standard Member

Im thinking that too, on amd/ati puma platform,8gb will work (tx2500 series and tx2 series)

On nvidia platform, 8gb probably wont work (tx1000 series and tx2000 series)

But to be honest, I think that both could support 8gb... there is no northbridge on amd platform... the cpu handles memory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.