What is the difference between tx2000z and tx2500z??

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by billycat, Jun 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hothoonie

hothoonie Pen Pal - Newbie

To all HP tx owners.

I am currently an owner of Fujitsu Lifebook T2010 and I am not too happy with the overall performance and the physical functions of the tabletPC. Therefore I'm looking in to buy a HP tx2000z or a tx2500z but I have no idea what the difference is. At the HP website, I see that the Processors are different but does it really make a difference in performance? Also the video card is different. 2000z has a Nvidia and 2500z has an ATI. Which tabletPC is better in your preference? and where can you get one for cheap? anyone know any coupon codes?

If you were to compare tx2000z or tx2500z with the Dell XT, which would you say is better? Dell XT has multi touch function. Does the tx series have multi-touch function?
    I see that it's dual touch/active digitizer. Is the touch function pressure sensitive or is it like N-Touch technology that Dell is using on their XT tabletPC?
    Please help me decide. I'm trying to get one by end of next month.
    Anyone want a Fujitsu T2010 for cheap?

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Dell will be slower than the T2010 in overall performance, but the Dell has a faster graphics card but less battery life.

The Hp 2500 uses the latest AMD Puma platform (better CPU, much faster integrated graphics card). Thats's the difference to the 2000.
    The 2500 is the same device, only better ;)

If you compare the HP with the Dell, then you will see that you can't relly compare them.
    The Dell is a portable lightweight business tablet with high build quality, good display and an active+capacitive passive digitizer (like the iPhone)
    The HP is a heavy consumer tablet with lower build quality, bad display and an active+resistive passive (nearly sensless) digitizer, but it costs less and has a fast graphics card.
    My opinion: For me the T2010 is better than the Dell, because you don't liked the T2010 you'll also not like the Dell but you will also be disappointed about low quality of the HP.

3. mcdull

mcdull Pen Pal - Newbie

I also only notice the only difference is the CPU in the spec... no wait...
    2500 is 4.59lb but 2000 is 4.3lb

I can only think an intergrated graphics solution should reduce the weight, so where did that additioanl 0.3lb come from?
    And I was expecting the new model should shred some weight off rather than make it heavier.
    Weight is the major debate for me now in getting the 2500 or Dell XT.

4. Rex Orbis2

Rex Orbis2 I Bleed Black and Gold

The extra weight probably came from the bigger heatsink needed for the new GPU that is a magnitude more powerful than the go6150.

It comes down to whether the extra weight is worth the added performance. If you're going to do any kind of gaming or cpu/gpu intensive stuff, the tx2500 is best. The XT is superlight and built better but lacks the power of the HP.

5. hothoonie

hothoonie Pen Pal - Newbie

so basically, tx2500z is an upgraded version of tx2000z right? So I'm better off getting the 2500z? or save money and just get the 2000z? Cuz they are both basically the same? Please confirm.

6. Rex Orbis2

Rex Orbis2 I Bleed Black and Gold

The biggest upgrade in the tx2500 is the gpu/cpu combo, which IMO is worth the extra money. The new set doesn't run nearly as hot and the increased performance actually comes with better battery life. Unless the only thing you're going to be doing is writing papers you will appreciate the extra peformance boost of the tx2500.

7. billycat

billycat Pen Pal - Newbie

IGP HD3200 on the tx2500 is BY FAR the best integrated graphics solution available. It's equivalent to the dedicated Nvidia 8400M GS. On top of that it has UVD (read blu-ray, avc.) offloading the decoding task from the CPU. Hopefully HP will make modular blu-ray drive available in the future for this system. Currently no other tablet comes close in terms of graphic power. I really don't expect the next-gen Intel (Montevina) to do so either. Gateway will probably provide a faster solution with a dedicated graphics card but it will be bigger (14", which may better fit some people's needs) and heavier. For now tx2500 is king of the hill. (Also in the bang for the buck department.)

Clock per clock, Core2Duo's will be faster and less power hungry but I find that there are few occasions where I need that much power. I find that anything above about 1.6GHz C2D is more than powerful enough for everything other than Matlab and games. Photoshop and the like are more RAM dependent. For most people, that means only the games are heavily CPU dependent. And these days, CPU without GPU power is useless for games. That makes most tablets faster than a x61t essentially excessively powerful for most. (Pardon if you crunch huge amount of data on your tablet, autoroute a PCB, etc. on your tablet.)

For it's target market, consumer multimedia rablet, tx2500 finally hits on all fronts with hardware blu-ray/AVC decoding,graphics performance on par with lower-end gaming laptops, spdif audio out, integrated webcam, touch screen (for things like this.), with WACOM for precision inking. All this and it's portable and powerful enough to get your work done too. For me it's a small yet VERY significant jump from the tx2000 (which I never even considered buying.)

It's not all superlative though, the screen has worse viewing angles (which doesn't matter to me because I actually can't have the random person next to me see my work.) and performs poorly in direct sunlight. It's slightly heavier 4.6 lbs vs some that are a shade under 4. That 0.6 lbs may mean a lot to those with weaker constitutions. Some may raise build quality as an issue. I suggest going down to the local shop that carry one and seeing for yourself. For me it was Fry's. I saw Fujitsu t4220 and the hp side-by-side and could not see a discernible build quality difference (actually was considering the t4220 at the time.) As a matter of fact, Fujitsu was the one with more wear and tear. Unless someone can point to a definite RMA rates for HP vs some other units and not some anecdotal evidence, I take it with a grain of salt. Usually people who harp about build quality are people who bought adequate performing products for too much money due to branding etc.

IMO tx2500 is the first salvo in next generation of tablets and a significant upgrade over the tx2000.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. Aemer

Aemer Pen Pal - Newbie

The TX2000 is still a very good tablet for the price. Very good.

But it does not have the capacity to serve as a desktop replacement, because the graphics card is just not up to speed and it gets hot and noisy in performance mode. In this regard, the TX2500 should be quite a bit better - hook it up to a good 24 or 27 inch external screen and an external harddrive, mouse and keyboard and keep it in tablet mode as a slate mounted on a dock at an agle on the table and it should be a very useful little trooper. More so than any other tablet on the planet.

But if you already have a desktop, there won't be a need for this. If all you want is a quiet little workstation that you can use for doing presentations, developing applications, surfing, watching podcasts, and videoconferencing whenever you're out and about - there's no question, the TX2000 will suit you just fine.

Someone might mutter about batterylife at this point and I'll say so what?, unless you're emulating virtual 8 pc's or watching 1080p content, you're not going to be running it at more than 60% of it's max capacity....I run it at 20% most of the time because most of the time I use it for reading, writing and im'ing. For a fraction of the price difference to the tx2500, I can get an extra 4 cell battery which will weigh the same as the weight difference between the two, and wham-bam-kzam I now have about the same battery life at low power...although switching will be an unwelcome inconvinience the 3 times a year I'll have to do that.

I can see the case for the tx2500, I really can - I wouldn't mind a radeon 3200 - but the tx2000 is such incredible value already that, reasonably, I would have difficulty making the investment.

The next revision of AMD's mobile platform, though, is looking much more interesting, so once the TX series moves to that I might upgrade.

I don't think so tho....the TX2000 is so far proving to be the best machine I have ever bought.

9. mobilebuddha

mobilebuddha Pen Pal - Newbie

My question is.. how much better is the CPU in the tx2500z vs. tx2000z?

and how much cooler does it run, again, comparing the tx2500z vs. tx2000z?

10. miner

miner Scribbler - Standard Member

Looks like HP finally pulled the plug on the tx2000, its no longer available online on HP.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.