What is the cheapest windows tablet?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by poof, Jun 19, 2011.

1. poof

poof Pen Pal - Newbie

New or used, i'm looking for the cheapest tablet that can run windows 7, all other specs dont matter for what i need it for.

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

This is a very broad question, eBay has a bunch of Tablets that will run Win7 in the $300-500 range. Acer has the W500 that is $549/new....

Almost any tablet built in the last 4-5 years will run Win7, my lowest was a Fujitsu U810 (800 MHz CPU/1 GB of RAM).

Are you looking for a slate or convertable?

3. Wiz33

Wiz33 Scribbler - Standard Member

Acer Iconia W500, under $550 from amazon with keyboard dock with Win7. Win7 pro version about $620.

4. poof

poof Pen Pal - Newbie

I was looking for something less than $300. Any style is fine.

5. poof

poof Pen Pal - Newbie

Im seeing it for around $500. Nm, i'll just find something used off of ebay. Shame, theres a ton of android slates for only a couple hundred, windows slates seem to be at least double that.

6. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Windows tablets tend to require more expensive hardware currently, x86 CPUs, more RAM and disk and often have pen digitizers.

The higher hardware needs of Windows is one big reason why Microsoft is holding the line on Windows hardware requirements for Windows 8 and developing an ARM version that'll run on cheaper are hardware.

That said there are a ton of cheap Android devices out there that suck with some exceptions like the Nook Color. The better Android devices tend to start at about $400 USD.

7. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Under $300? You could get an HP TC4400 for that, or if you're lucky, a Lenovo X61t/X61 Tablet. (Search for both"X61t" and "X61 Tablet", especially since listings that show up under one may not show up under the other.)