what is the best tablet pc for artwork and 3D animation?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by bellaluna05, Sep 10, 2010.

1. bellaluna05

bellaluna05 Pen Pal - Newbie

I know almost nothing about computers, others have recommended the HP tm2 and the motion computing LE1600 to me but I'm still not sure and am open to other suggestions. I really wanted the cintiq but need something wireless that I can have in my lap in bed and outside etc.

The Tm2 looks good I love that I can draw or paint with an actual paint brush like tool/pen whatever, but had read somewhere that it didn't have pressure sensitivity which I thought was crucial for artwork since the cintiq has such high pressure sensitivity, but someone else just told me that it does have pressure sensitivity so I am confused!!!! I also kinda wanted something bigger, the sm. cintiq is even 12 in wide but the tm2 is only 12 in diagonal? Is that really big enough? I would really like to have the space of a piece of paper to draw on at least. How much room does the tm2 give you to actually draw? Or if people think a slate like the LE1600 would be better for me then is it difficult to just surf the web on a slate since there's no keyboard right?

I just really want one that is the best for drawing/sketching, painting, 3D animation, and to also use to browse the web and play some flash player games like farmville on facebook if possible, hardcore games would be nice too but not necessary since I have a ps3 for that. the most important thing to me is the artwork and being able to play around with and learn 3D animation too, I want to be able to use maya, and coloring is important to me too. I also want to be able to surf the web and check and send emails etc. :) below I filled out the questions best I could, thank you soooo much everyone!!!! I really appreciate your help!
    Lara

General Questions.

1. What is your budget? .... around $1000.00, the cheaper the better but i was saving for a small cintiq originally until I found out how short all the cords are making it so I wouldn't be able to use it where I need :(

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished? .......Is that reliable??

3. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)? ..convertible I think, maybe a slate.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer? ....... the bigger the better but can't be too hard to carry either so I guess 12" and up. 12 sounds a little small to me but seems to be the size most of them are right now huh? I know the hp tm2 is 12" and I was looking at that, but it's 12" diagonally so what does that make it up and across? does anyone find it too small? I was hoping for a screen of maybe 15" but haven't found anything that size :(

* Small and light ~ 5" to 8.9"
    * Compact ~ 10"
    * Mainstream ~ 12.1"
    * Large ~ 13.3"

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from? ....U.S.

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? .....don't think so, but I like the fact that the hp tm2 has actual paint brush tools to paint with, do any others have pens that look and feel just like a paintbrush?

7. How many hours battery life do you require? .......a decent amount, would like to use outside and inside

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? ....... Drawing, sketching, painting, coloring, 3D animation, and facebook games if possible, /Entertainment/ Email/Web Surfing/Word Processing/Notetaking etc)

9. Do you have an OS preference?..????

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? ........ artrage and others for sketching/drawing, corel painter, maya, Photoshop, 3D Studio Max, Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite//Autocad etc)..do any of them come with any programs already like the cintiq does? Do they come with windows anything?

10. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list........ facebook games like farmville that use adobe flash if possible, I'd also like to use more hardcore games but I usually play on my PS3 so it's not a big deal, but the flash player games don't work on my ps3 so I would like to play those

Screen Specifics

1. What resolution do you prefer? .......I want whatever is the most comperable to the cintiq, I really know nothing about this stuff, just that I want everything to look as good as poss. I would like a lot of room to draw, want to be able to read the text lol but don't need it too big either.

* XGA - 1024x768 ~ large and easy to read text and graphic icons but you fit less on the screen.
    * SXGA - 1400x1050 ~ Small text and graphic icons which require good vision but the gain is a much larger screen. (no longer available new, must look for used or refurbished machines)
    * WXGA - 1280x768 ~ has a wider usable area than XGA, ideal for viewing Spreadsheets and other programs that require desktop space. The mainly used resolution for new tablet PCs since 2008.

2. Do you require the screen to be readable in sunlight?... yes would like to use it outside, but will probably be inside mostly.

See the above linked FAQ for guidance

3. Do you prefer your display to be glossy or matte?... sorry not sure?

4. Do you require Touch? (without pressure sensitivity) (Which one: resistive or capacitive) ..... with pressure sensitivity b/c it makes artwork more like drawing on paper right? I know the cintiq has the most pressure sensitivity so I'm guessing it's important... I know, I really don't know about this stuff sorry. but yes I would like to be able to draw thin and thick lines.

5. Do you require a Pen? (with pressure sensitivity) (Which one: Wacom or N-Trig) ......yes I believe so and I definitely think wacom since I want whatever is closest to the cintiq but wireless

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? .....Not sure

2. Do you require an Optical (CD/DVD) Drive to be built in?...... don't know

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)?.......no idea

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above? .....can't think of anything, except I'm a beginner obviously so the easier to learn the better I guess

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?........nope you covered it :) thanx!

2. Krelian

Krelian All about the T5010/T900

OK! So let start with the basics.
    In terms of usability and software a Tablet PC is like EVERY normal laptop out there. It just has the extra advantage of having a digitizer and/or touch panel in the screen.
    There really aren't any Tablet PCs geared specifically toward artists so none of them are going to come packaged with art software (except maybe the ModBook which is a whole different very expensive beast). They will come with Windows like any other laptop (that's your OS/Operating System by the way).
    The digitizer you're going to want is a Wacom. The Wacom Penabled digitizer that is available in Tablet PCs has 256 levels of pressure and are compatible with standard, felt, stroke and flex nibs. They do NOT detect tilt or rotation like the Cintiq and require slightly more force to start drawing lines than the Cintiq and Intuos4.

What is this paint brush-like tool you've seen with the HP? Do yo have any links of references to it?

For screen size almost everything on the market is a 12.1" widescreen, the Fujitsu T5010 and newer T900 have a 13.3" widescreen.
    Just about any Tablet PC can surf the web and play flash games but almost no current Tablet PCs have a dedicated GPU and so are generally not suited to doing/playing 3D games. Your best (and pretty much only) bet for any kind of 3D is the HP TM2t with Core i5-430UM CPU and 512MB ATI 5450 GPU.

My wife is an illustrator and she uses a refurbished Fujitsu T5010 for pretty much all her coloring. She still does most of her initial line work in graphite and scans it in for use on the T5010.
    You can see her work here: LunaKenei.deviantART.com

Price wise a refurbished Fujitsu T5010 would probably run $800-$1000 on eBay or an HP TM2t will run a bit over $1000.

Feel free to ask any further questions and I recommend reading the following threads for more information:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/what-tablet-pc-should-i-buy/34333-tablet-pc-art-fantasyart.html
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/what-tablet-pc-should-i-buy/34465-hp-tm2-fjitsu-t730.html
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/tablet-pc-life/33436-10-tablet-1024-pressure-sensitivity.html
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/what-tablet-pc-should-i-buy/33294-cintiq-vs-tablet-pc.html

3. Krelian

4. purplepeopledesign

purplepeopledesign Scribbler - Standard Member

The onboard Intel graphics chips are crap for 3D modeling, especially since most industry software is optimized for OpenGL. I use Rhino and the only reason it works well at all is that the publisher rewrote it so be able to work around DirectX. Don't believe it for a second if the specs for your Intel graphic chip says it's OpenGL 1.4 compatible. The actual drivers are as flaky as their performance. Speaking of which, for actual performance on complex models, my ancient Athlon desktop with a Radeon video card can rotate and redraw full screen models faster than my (new to me) Toshiba M400, even though there is an eternity of 3 years difference in technology.

:)ensen.

5. bellaluna05

Krelian, Wow thank you so much! All these links should really help thank you so much!..The paint brush thing I was talking about was something I saw them using on project runway last season, the tm2 is what they are using on that show I believe, I know it's a HP, but they were painting right on the screen with what looked exactly like a real paint brush, I thought it was a special tool for the hp tablet pc, but maybe it was just a paint brush is that possible, the strokes looked just like as if they were painting on a canvas. I could have sworn they said it was a tool/stylus (?) for the hp, but maybe just a paint brush, but still they used it right on the screen. It was awesome!
    you said:
    "They do NOT detect tilt or rotation like the Cintiq and require slightly more force to start drawing lines than the Cintiq and Intuos4."
    So none of the tablet pc's or slates do besides the cintiq or Intuous4? I really wish they would make the cintiq more portable! Even if they would just make the cords longer so I wasn't stuck right at my computer, it might have worked, although I'd still love to use it outside. I know you can hook it into a laptop but, I can't afford to buy both and I just can't carry all that :( I've heard the cords are a serious pain. Would there be a way to make them longer though? that scares me that only the cintiq detects tilt or rotation, doesn't that make it hard to draw what you want on the other units? Or it's not as important as it sounds? So you don't think any of the tablet pc's or slates would run maya for 3D animation? I don't care about playing 3D games, but I would really love to create 3D animations on whatever tablet pc or slate I get. You think maybe the hp tm2 would run maya though? It sounds like the other tablet pc's the older ones are better for drawing though huh, so there still doesn't seem to be any all in one unit like the cintiq but wireless, huh?, that really sucks!

ok I'm gonna look through the links you posted, thank you sooo much again! huge help! I look forward to checking out your wife's work too thanks :) You seem very proud, that's awesome :)

purplepeopleadesign, thank you so much :) I haven't actually ever done any 3D animation yet, but really wanted to start, b/c most of what I draw is cartoon/animation style. So your saying your desk top works best for 3Danimation? Let me ask you, since I've never actually tried any program for 3d animation yet, is it more modeling then free hand drawing? Not sure I'm saying that right but hopefully you know what I mean. Like can you easily do it all with a regular mouse even if your not really good at drawing free hand with a mouse? Is it more about telling the lines where to go with the keyboard and mouse then drawing every line free hand? I really have no clue what I'm talking about sorry. But I've looked at different sites for 3D animation programs, and it sometimes looks more like graphs in a way. It's so hard trying to explain myself when I don't know the proper terms..ugh.. hopefully you understand, thank you!

6. purplepeopledesign

Just about all 3D is CAD. There are generally two phases to 3D... modeling and rendering (animation can probably be classified as an extension of rendering with the addition of controls for timing, positioning or maybe even physics like gravity or fluid dynamics). In design and engineering, rendering is done for presentation, typically for a client. Animation just requires rendering to be done for each frame in the clip.

Modeling requires a very strong graphics card, because the whole image must be refreshed at very high rates. Imagine running your typical shooter video game at the maximum resolution, maximum colour and here's the kicker... expecting all motion to be silky smooth at the monitor frame rate. This is why so many 3D capable workstations have "professional" graphics cards that cost more than the oversize monitor. This is part of the reason I use Rhino.... it doesn't require anything better than DirectX and can easily take advantage of any gamer-level card.

Modeling is not like sketching. Even if you are just pulling meshes freehand, it's still more like moving Bezier control points. As such, the best tool for me is actually my mouse, since it has an extra button and can be easily used in conjunction with the CTRL, SHIFT and ALT keys. Typically, the wheel is used to zoom and the modifier keys are used to change the point of view. A good modeler can do this so fast that it looks like the model is animating in real time. I'm not that fast, but this would be impossible to do with a stylus. Some people are so skilled they can also use a puck... a little device that puts several more commands in their other hand.

Rendering requires big CPU. Where I worked before, I had a dual Opteron that could render this one test scene in 15 seconds that my single Athlon required 2 minutes to finish. I haven't tried that on my Core Duo, but I'll wager it's only going to be around 30 seconds based on what I recall from a Rhino forum thread where people were posting their render times for bragging rights. I don't know how the new i7 compares but I can imagine it might reduce that render test to 5 seconds. That's 3 times as fast, but you can see that with a complex animation like the Pixar lamp, it's going to take minutes or hours per frame. Per frame! And that's why the big FX and VG houses all have server farms or parallel supercomputers. There are some rendering engines that can make use of special video or physics cards to speed up the rendering time, but now you're getting into really crazy money.

7. bellaluna05

purplepeopledesign, thank you for explaining all that, that helps, so it sounds like I'm better off trying out the 3D animation on my desktop then and just use the tablet pc for drawing and painting. I wasn't sure I could do animation on my desk top b/c i can't draw with my mouse, so it really helps that you explained all that thank you. Do you possibly know any free programs for 3D animation that I could download just to try it, see if I really like it or not before I buy an expensive program? thank you so much I'm excited :) it sounds fun :)
    Lara

8. purplepeopledesign

I'm not the best person to advise on software since I've been happy with Rhino from first release.

Still, both Sketchup and Blender are free. I haven't ever bothered with either because of Rhino but from what I've seen Blender looks interesting though everywhere there is a comparison done with other 3D software it supposedly trips on it's own workflow. IMO, Sketchup shows more promise as a modeler since it is beginning to make inroads into architecture, design and even engineering.

If you want to do photorealistic, you generally have to get a third-party app or plug-in to work with your modeling software. In my case I am using the cheap and cheerful Flamingo from the same mfg as Rhino. You can pay more for these than for the modeler. For instance, Hypershot starts at $1000 but is used for many of the photo-quality concept cars that keep making the blog circles everywhere.

Note that animation can be just camera movement, object motion or deformation, skeletal animation or a combination of all three. What you want to accomplish will determine what apps you need and how much for the entry fee.

If you are a student, you may be able to get a free or cheap copy of any of the big apps. The ones I see a lot of seem to be Maya and 3DS for movies and gaming, Solidworks for engineering, Inventor and Rhino for design, and Revit for architecture. Many of these are interchangeable and crossover a lot. Autodesk makes many of apps for the various markets and Solidworks has one of the best workflows if you do a lot of prototypes. Whichever you choose, they all have a lot of import/export file formats so transferring files is fairly easy.

9. bellaluna05

Krelian,
    Wow I checked out your wife's artwork and it's so gorgeous!!!!!! She's really great!!!! Her stuff is pretty similar to what I want to do on my tablet pc. Does she do all her work, drawing and coloring on one tablet pc or slate, or does she work on different things? She's much better then me but I'd really like to get there, and really want to find one wireless tablet pc or slate that I can do all of that on and also browse the web too. ...I'm realizing that the 3D animation is better to do on my desktop unfortunately.
    thank you,
    Lara

10. bellaluna05

purplepeopledesign,
    thank you, yeah I'm not a student, unfortunately I'm home bound right now and am just a really artistic person who loves picking up anything and everything artistic, and learning just by doing, so I just wanted to try it, that's why most of this is like a foreign language to me, but I'm trying. :) thank you again!
    Lara

11. Krelian

I can't seem to find anything on the paint brush-like stylus for the TM2t that was used on Project Runway. I did find this short article with video but it appears they're using the standard-type stylus that comes with most any Tablet PC. If there IS some special stylus out there that they used it should be usable on any Wacom Penabled Tablet PC.

If Sarah or I had three wishes to improve the Wacom digitizer in Tablet PCs they would be (IN ORDER):
    1. Lower starting pressure (1 gram or less like the Intuos4 and new 21UX Cintiq - lines begin drawing at their thinnest setting under the weight of the stylus itself, like a real pencil)
    2. Tilt (This doesn't affect everyone's style and even when it does it's more of a nuance, not a deal breaker but in our testing it noticeably makes Sarah's digital drawing look much more like her analog drawing - but that's specifically her style, she tends to shade with her line work instead of her coloring unlike most artists)
    3. More pressure levels (the difference between 256, 1024, and 2048 isn't as great as it might sound - it's a VERY nuanced and slight difference but while we're making wishes we might as well increase these)
    Rotation only registers with the special chisel-tip 6D Art Pen. It's probably really important if that defines your style like say a calligrapher but it's not really useful for single-point tools like pencils.

It would be nice if the Cintiq was more portable I've read of many artists online who have stubbornly tried the take the 12WX out portably but absolutely hate the experience.
    As I understand it (with the 12WX) there is one cable that goes from the Cintiq to the break-out box, this cable cannot be lengthened.
    From the break-out box to the PC you run a video cable (DVI [preferred] or VGA) and a USB cable. You also run power from the break-out to the wall.
    I couldn't seem to find what length the cables that come with the 12WX are but both DVI and USB can go a pretty good distance - I'd say safely:
    15 feet for DVI-D - this is the official maximum length DVI-D is supposed to go but it can go farther (say 25 feet) -BUT- sensitive devices can get finicky with longer lengths and I'd classify the Cintiq as sensitive.
    15 feet for USB 2.0 - once again the official maximum length, you can go farther with repeaters or special low-resistance cabling but with a Cintiq I wouldn't recommend it.
    Here's a 15 foot power cord while you're at it.
    All together those cables will run you $30-$35 shipped from Monoprice who makes excellent quality cables.

12. Krelian

Thanks so much for the kind words on her art. She really has two main styles.
    Her primary is to use graphite to compose very tight, clean, detailed and shaded line work on smooth bristol. It's then scanned and she colors under the pencil on her Fujitsu T5010 in Photoshop CS4, letting her pencils carry most of the weight and shading of the piece.
    The neat thing is she can take her pencils, bristol, T5010 and a USB powered Canon LiDE scanner with her anywhere and complete an illustration start-to-finish portably.
    Other than the she also like to work with Prismacolor marker for analog coloring and with a Cintiq she'd likely be able to do her marker-like work digitally as well.

13. bellaluna05

So do you think the cintiq is the only one that you can color like that on, cuz that's one of the main things I want to do with coloring and painting. It's just too hard for me to carry around all my pencils and pens and pad of paper, so I just wanted to do everything digitally instead, am I dreaming?..I was told by a few people that the cintiq would only reach like 5 feet, I ha no idea it could go longer hmmmm? now I'm tempted to stick with the cintiq again and just sacrifice being able to go outside. But still all those cables and cords would be such a pain, why won't they just go wireless so many people would love them for it! Maybe it would just cost too much?

How does your wife have everything portable? So she draws and colors on paper with pencils and pens and then scans it and finishes it up digitally, is that right? I especially love the colors in the one with the girl and the bright blue background, soooo beautiful, they all are, I hope I can get that good. My stuff is more cartoony right now, and I'm learning the highlighting and shading, I was hoping it would be easier for me to do it digital like I said so I didn't have to have tons of markers and pencils with me, I just can't carry it all :(Plus my favorite markers are the Copic's so it would cost a fortune to get all the ones I wanted, actually seems cheaper to get a cintiq LOL
    So the Fujitsu T5010 is the tablet Pc she uses most? Is that one super expensive, like more then $1000.00? ...Oh and sorry what is a Bristol?

The paint brush thing I saw them using was last season and not everyone was using it it was just the one episode where they were making their own fabric, and only a couple people were using it, usually they are just using the pen. Do you think it's possible that they were just using a real paint brush, is the touch screen that sensitive? cuz I haven't been able to find what I saw either, no fair :( they advertise something impossible to find :(

Thank you so much for being so helpful and nice!!!!
    Lara

14. bellaluna05

So I found some videos on utube where they are using a real paint brush on the hp touch smart, here's one link

YouTube - HP Touchsmart PC: Paint with Real Brushes

this shows someone using a paintbrush right on the screen, so I guess it was just a real paint brush then :) mystery solved :)

But it's weird some of the screens people are painting and drawing on look way bigger then 12 inches, where are they getting them? I've also noticed there are lots of different hp tm2's with different numbers after the tm2 and then there's the tm2t and that still has some different number after that too, so how do you know what's what? which one is the latest? Is it maybe the older ones that have the big screen?

Well just wanted to share that :)

15. Krelian

It might be hard to find one but I really think it'd be best to try to find a Cintiq to try out for yourself to see if it can do what you need it to.
    Right now neither Sarah nor I are of the opinion that it can completely replace real media for her style. It's close to simulating the kind of pencil work she needs but not entirely perfect; it can simulate her marker work pretty accurately.
    However, if you use any art tool long enough you can adapt yourself to it and adapt its capabilities to what you can do.
    Work on a Cintiq will probably look a bit more real-media/natural compared to work on a Tablet PC but the Tablet PC can go anywhere, that's the trade off.
    Now I don't know for certain you can use the longer cables, it's just a theory, it may be possible. You could Google about it and maybe find someone who's tried it.

I believe TM2 and the TM2t are essentially the same Tablet PC both with 12.1" screens. The older version is the TM2 and the TM2t is the newer version which has the same capabilities but with the newer Intel Core i3/i5 processors.
    They both use a Wacom Penabled digitizer which only works with specific Wacom pens.
    They both also have capacitive finger-touch but that doesn't have the pinpoint accuracy for art, that's where your Wacom stylus is important.

On that note: The larger screened computer in the video is an HP TouchSmart PC. It's not Wacom and doesn't have pressure sensitivity. It senses darkness on the surface of the screen to draw its lines, definitely not sharp enough to simulate pencil. It is kind of neat as a self contained desktop computer but probably not usable for detailed art.

Sarah does just her lines and shading in pencil on smooth bristol (bristol is a thick type of art paper). She scans the black/gray line work into her T5010 and does her coloring digitally. You can kind of see the process by looking at this bare scanned pencil work and then this digitally colored result.

The T5010 is the only Tablet PC we have and only digital drawing tool she currently uses. I purchased if for her in November of 2009. It was a refurbished model purchased from fujitsu_computer_store on eBay.
    The seller fujitsu_computer_store is actually an official outlet for Fujitsu in the USA and we purchased the T5010 for about $800 and got an official Fujitsu 3 year warranty as well for a total of just over $1000.
    Because you are bidding on eBay the prices aren't set in stone and will fluctuate a bit. Patience and a willingness to stop if the price goes too high and try again on the next one will be necessary to get a low price. We tried for almost a month before landing ours at a particularly low price.
    I talk a lot about the purchasing process in page 2 of the thread http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/what-tablet-pc-should-i-buy/34333-tablet-pc-art-fantasyart.html

16. bellaluna05

I've been reading some of the other threads you posted for me and the one about the cintiq, there was actually a lot of complaining about the 12 in cintiq which is all I could afford, plus I wouldn't be able to carry the 21in unfortunately, I have to be very careful with how much I lift, as I've been through many surgury's. But they made it sound like there were a lot of problems with the 12wx cintiq, so that with the cables really doesn't seem worth it anymore. Plus having a tablet and lap top all in one is exciting me more and more and I really would like to go outside too. Unfortunately there's no way I can goo try out a cintiq b/c I am currently home bound and can't ride in a car, I'm determined to change this but unfortunately have no idea how long it will take.

i haven't read all the threads you suggested but almost I think, and I've seen you talk a lot about the one your wife uses the fujitsu T5010 and it sounds great, especially if your wife does do most or all of her coloring on it b/c her stuff looks amazing I think and I'm not that good yet, I'm still learning. But I've had some professional artists tell me that I'm good and should continue so that gives me hope :)

Does your wife do all her highlighting and shading on the T5010 too, that probably falls into the coloring category right? Does she sketch at all on it? Do you know if there is a better one for sketching besides cintiq? Someone else suggest a LE1600, but that's a slate right. Can you browse the web on a slate, I did see some of those really cheap that came with keyboards, but I really want to make sure that it still does everything a tablet pc does with the web and everything. I also searched Ebay for the T5010 that you use, there's one that is slightly used that is being bid on but you can also buy at $700, I think they said it really wasn't used so is in perfect condition, but doesn't have the web cam which I'm not sure I'd use anyway but might be nice you never know, and the memory is only 2GB I think, there were a few that I found on ebay and some were only 1GB but none were 4GB :( But there were only like 5 maybe and all the others were over $1000.00 and up, a few were closer to $2000.00 :( So only the one good deal and it ends in a day and a half about and I'm not sure I could make up my mind by then, plus it doesn't come from the store you bought yours at, I couldn't find any there actually :( this is the first one I mentioned from the doctors office, what do you think? could I add the web cam and extra memory pretty cheap? I think I know someone that could do that stuff for me. I just haven't had much time to research all the other recommendations of other brands and models I've gotten yet but you are the only one that showed me the art done yours and it looks awesome so it definitely makes me lean towards the T5010, I just wish I could see some of the actual sketching done on it, but I'll go look on utube next :) What do you think, is it safe to buy from an individual, do you think this is a deal to jump on or should I wait to see if any others come up in the next few weeks or so. I'm anxious but not in a rush, I want to make the right decision, but am also anxious to just choose already and get one to play with :)

Fujitsu LifeBook T5010 Tablet PC Core 2 Duo 80 GB 2GB - eBay (item 280558990834 end time Sep-14-10 00:08:34 PDT)

sorry. one more question. Do you think using the paintbrush would work on the T5010 too? I know you said the screen in the video was a different screen w/o pressure sensitivity but I know they did use them on the tm2 on project runway. You also said you disabled the other touch screen capabilities other then the wacom right, b/c you were afraid it would interfere, you said it in a different thread to someone else that bought a T5010 as per you recommendation :) he/she seems very happy with it too!

So sorry this is sooo long i hope your not getting sick of all my questions, your so nice to help so much i really appreciate it!!! Please thank your wife too :)
    Lara

17. bellaluna05

oh I also love the idea of a bigger screen of 13in, would love 15in but oh well LOL, I think you said the Fujitsu T5010 and T900 are the Only ones with the bigger screen? thanx :)

18. bellaluna05

19. purplepeopledesign

Here is a pretty good summary of the 3D situation for Mac OS.

3D Modeling and Animation, Mac or PC? - Mac Forums

Sadly, 2D/3D seems to be an either/or problem. If you are primarily a 2D artist, Mac is probably the way to go. Mostly 3D, the software selection and hardware power point in the direction of Windows. For both... tough question. I'd probably stick with PC since you can get more bang for buck and still have access to Photoshop and the other 2D tools.

What worries me is that with Apple, support for workstation class machines is dropping in favour of portable devices. I'll bet even long time partner Adobe has looked at this prospect and wondered what's next.

20. PhotoMuis

PhotoMuis Scribbler - Standard Member

Have you worked with a graphics tablet at all before? It sounds as if you are just starting out with digital artwork. To first get to know all these things, including how to use all the many settings in Photoshop etc. to make full use of your digital pen, you will be fine with something more "basic" than a Cintiq. Basically you will have to decide what is more important to you: Having tilt etc, or going outside with it? Lots of people produce fabulous work without having tilt sensitivity. Those artists that are used to having it on a Cintiq might miss it on a tablet PC, but it is more a matter of nuances. If you are only starting out, it will take quite a while before the "bottleneck" in performance is not you yourself but the Tablet-PC (I have had an Intuous for 3 years and a Fujitsu T4410 (similar to 5010 but smaller) for about half a year, and I am still far from using them to their full potential). So don't worry all too much about perhaps missing out on this-or-that feature, concentrate on getting something that fulfills those requirements that are most important to you.

The pens used by the different tablet PCs are fairly similar and all have the same sensitivity anyway, so what you can do on them largely depends on your skill, Krelian's wife's work will look the same if she did it on a different Tablet-PC that runs the same software. But I think a T5010 will do you nicely, especially if one of your criteria is wanting to have a bigger screen than 12 inch.

Have fun with whatever you choose!