What is the battery life like for the 4215?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by kingmetal, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteelGuy

SteelGuy Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey,

Was just wondering what kind of life you were getting out of your Fujitsu 4215?

If you have 2 batteries, can you please list how much life you get with one and two ?

Also how many of you carry it with you everywhere you go (work, college that sort of thing)

Thanks a lot!

2. skisteven1

skisteven1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm actually pretty disapointed in the battery life on my T4215. One of the major deciding factors for me was the ability to carry it around all day without a cord. As an engineering student, I go from class to class to meeting to class...etc, all day long.

When I was running XP, windows would report 5-6hrs battery life (with both in) at the start of the day. Maybe another hour or two if you turn off the wireless radios. Keep in mind though that windows really isn't very good at estimating this kind of thing.

I noticed that my battery life seems to decrease when using Vista (though it could just be windows giving me a more accurate reading).

I find that I can get through the day just fine if I bring it home and charge for an hour or so over lunch (though make sure to suspend of turn it off when you're charging -- it'll go WAAY faster).

Just sitting doing word or outlook or whatever with a decent brightness level will put you around 4.5 hrs (at least in my experience). I think brightness level is the #1 contributor to battery drain -- I have my processor speed settings (via Vista) set pretty low, and haven't noticed much of an improvement.

Does that help at all?

3. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well on the T4210's we get around 6 to 7hrs with two batteries in each.
    At night and if wifi & bluetooth are switched off this can go throughout the night up to 9hrs.
    Outside temp at night is around -4c or 25f which helps keep the machine cool.

4. Bobnewbie

Bobnewbie Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey P8RSON, Thats an intreging statement, why exactly are you leaving your tablet on outside at night? do you work nights or am I getting it completely wrong and you dont want to plug it in or something,

I am getting:
    1 battery around 3-4.5 hours
    2 battery around 4.5-8 approx maybe more

Grrr I have now found a fault with my fujitsu t4215...... the darn @"@"@"@"@ is the wrong way round, darn americans and their stupid speeches that mean that """" is used more often than @@@ GRRRR

I know its very minor

BobNewbie

5. P8RSON

Bob,
    Yes, the tablet does get used a lot at night.
    Reason being, it gets used mostly on the Farm and in the Peak District National Park.
    We keep an eye on wildlife (movements/habits/etc.) and occasionally there is work that requires an all night vigil.

Re the @ & "..... can you re-explain. I'm a little confused.

6. kingmetal

kingmetal Pen Pal - Newbie

I was consistently getting 3.5-4 hours of normal use with my T4215 with a single battery and XP. generally, the WIFI would be on for most of this time and the brightness would be fairly low. when I added my second battery, my life jumped up to around 5-6 hours of the same use.

Vista took a big chunk out of my battery life. I think I could still Eeek out 5 hours of time with both batteries, but it's far more sensitive to little things. Vista also apparently needs to 'settle' a bit (indexing needs to complete and whatnot), plus I install a new device driver or something of that nature almost every session since it's brand new.

either way, the 4215 does have excellent battery life and you should have no problem running it all day under normal course loads with a little bit of power management and a second battery.

7. muke195

muke195 Pen Pal - Newbie

With my t4210 I get 6-7 hours of battery although since I installed another 512 stick of ram I seem to have noticed its gone down to about 5.5hr. Thats with brightness between 1/4 and 3/4 and wireless card only on for quick bursts (i.e. to download a Profs PTT for the class)

Hey P8RSON, you said you use your table in sub-freezing weather, I thought I remember reading that the operating temperature for it was only 34 def F or so. I've wanted to use my 4210 out doors, but wasn't sure about the negitive effects of the cold. You haven't noticed anything bad yet. (I know the LCD on my cell phone will react slowly when I use it in the cold)

8. P8RSON

With the heat that any tablet generates, it would take an awful lot of extreme cold to make the tablet drop to anything close to cold.
    Even at -7°c the machine is still registering a temperature of around 30°c.

Cell phones are different in that they do not generate sufficient heat.
    As such they are less prone to overheating but more prone to heat loss.

9. kingmetal

kingmetal Pen Pal - Newbie

update on Vista battery life:

Speedstep on my 4215 doesn't work in Vista consistently. it has kicked in twice since I've been using Vista (about a week solid) and both times I saw my battery meter jump up to nearly 8 hours. the loud whine that my 4215 makes when Speedstep kicks in was also present.

so all is not lost. in a few months, when the 4215 is actually Vista compatible, there should be a minimal hit on our battery life.