what is the basic minimum you expect in a stylus/digitizer tech?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by siddhartth, Nov 2, 2016.

1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

this thread is about taking the best features present various stylus/digitizer technologies dominant today and combining them to make a stylus you would like to use.

of course, you can contribute your own imagined features, but see that it is technologically, economically possible in the present year.

i will give a list of my own features that is pretty much every thing that i expect from a stylus-
    1. nib with an active capacitive signal emitter that can hide the inevitable initial activation force by laying down capacitive ink in the beginning (APPLE PENCIL)
    2. a minimum of 240Hz sampling rate (APPLE AND UPDATED WACOM)
    3. less than 1mm wide nib (SURFACE PEN AND UPDATED WACOM)
    4. a selection of nib texture choices (SURFACE PEN AND WACOM)
    5. at least one side button on the barrel (SURFACE PEN AND WACOM AND OTHERS)
    6. an oled ring on the stylus to show the selected colour. (MY IMAGINATION)
    7. pressure sensitive eraser on one end (SURFACE AND WACOM)
    8. writing NIBS ON BOTH ENDS OF THE PEN, ANY OF THEM CAN BE CUSTOM PROGRAMMED AS AN ERASER (MY IMAGINATION)
    9. CHARGING PORT IN THE BARREL OF THE PEN, WHICH CAN BE HIDDEN BY SLIDER MECHANISM to prevent dust accumulation (MY IMAGINATION)
    10. and proper weight distribution throughout the body i.e. not top heavy like apple pencil (SURFACE PEN)
    11. microphone to dictate cortana/dragon/Googlenow/siri.
    looking forward to more suggestions from the community.

related threads -
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...we-all-can-agree-on-somethe-in-the-end.71008/
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/improvements-you-want-in-apple-pencil.71017/

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  2. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

need a stylus that can also be used as a pen. Countless times I get to a meeting and someone passes around an attendance sheet and I don't have a real pen with me. Sometimes I have to attend mandatory annual training with a Quiz and I have to scramble to find a pen. Since my machine has no silo, it sucks having to carry a stylus and a pen. can't get the rest of the world to go digital.

I'm so used to two buttons that even one seems limiting. My SP1 has one button and since I haven't used a pencil in three decades it is not natural to turn it over to erase.

nnthemperor and siddhartth like this.
  3. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member

i thought about it too. then came the thought what if another colleague asks for your pen and misplaces it?
    happens with me all the time, I volunteer sometimes at a local Emergency department. if i ask them to be careful not to lose it, they'll probably reply with a friendly taunt like "oh don't worry dear, i promise to keep and protect your precious pen!".

frankly i think i might lose it too just as easily, it' hard to worry about such things while being surrounded by critically ill patients.

After spending on north of $1300 stylus related tech over last two years, that's the hard lesson i learned.

While my father who works in a public sector corporate hospital writes prescription with a keyboard and communicates with the pharmacy through intranet or phone, as a junior resident doctor in a government run dermatology clinic, I have to stab old school paper with a ballpoint for 8 hours for at least 120 patients per day. and if the pharmacist by mistake dispenses the wrong ointment to my patient, i have to write a physical note on a piece of paper to point out and correct his mistake. only time my father uses a pen is when he has to sign a printed document. unless, digital ink becomes as cross platform as text, i don't see this technology going anywhere other than in the hands of rich brats showing off their iPadpro or Surface pro in a anatomy or Engineering class that too if their professor allows them.

4. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Wacom makes one that I want to use, buttons, comfort etc. I would like it to work on any screen or device I choose.

5. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member

After reviewing the literature on stylus's for the past few months, I've determined these technical recommendations:

Has to vibrate and not be too skinny

click her reply to the top comment

Zimanev Razollić1 year ago
    If Apple Pencil could vibrate.....

"
    [​IMG]

MobileTechReview1 year ago
    +Zimanev Razollić Nah, way too skinny ;)"

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017