What is a good Art/Gaming Tablet PC?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Hoopla, May 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samiij

Samiij Pen Pal - Newbie

I’ve resolved to buy a new tablet PC, and originally was going to go for a ToughBook 19, but after finding out the screen size, decided to look for a better model. So I’ve come to the people of the forums to find out what’s the best one I could get, in your opinions. Generally I’d probably want an Art & Gaming Tablet PC. The Art Programs I’d use would be: Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Open Canvas, Maya and Painter

Heres what I’d need for it to be up to scratch with my current laptop:

-A reasonably big monitor, around 14 inch, preferably one with Wacom Digitaliser Technology; highest precision possible.

-At least 2GB of RAM, or the ability to upgrade it that far and further.

-Latest Graphics card, so a Dual-monitor setup could be run, also to play the newest games.

-80GB Hard Drive or bigger.

-Wireless - Bluetooth

Things I’d like:

-4 USB 2.0 Ports.

-DVD Dual Layer Burner, though, I don’t mind going external for this, just easier, that’s all

-I'm not that careful with my things so a rugged Tablet PC sounds good

I value all feed back on this and thank anyone who helps me in advance.

2. Samiij

Samiij Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok, After trying to find one for so long, I think they are either rare or non-existant, I'll shorten the question to anything I cant add externaly by USB

-Upgradeable RAM to atleast 2 GB

-Decent sized monitor with decent quality tablet useage supported by photoshop and other basic art programs

-Upgradable Hard Drive to 120GB

-A Graphics/video card that will play the latest games.

-4 USB 2.0 Ports

Everything else I can add externaly right? someone tells me you can also add a Graphics/video card externaly, anyone know anything about that?

3. Michael-P

Michael-P Pen Pal - Newbie

forget about a tablet which can play the latest games!
    you won´t find anything with good graphics.
    I am looking for something like this too, like everyone...
    what about buying the cheapest dual core tablet (with active digitizer) you can get and then buying a gaming rig?

4. Oracle

Oracle CompSci Robotics Graduate

I think the Tecra M7, is gonna be as good as you can get at the moment. But i'm a bit biased since i have one!

5. Samiij

Samiij Pen Pal - Newbie

whats all this word about the Santa Rosa being a good gaming tablet?

(and I'm checking out the Tecra M7, right now)

I'm also consitering getting a the latest Gateway, I'm worried that the stylus won't be reliable for Digital Art, can here give me an opinion?

6. brynn

brynn Pen Pal - Newbie

You aren't going to find a tablet that can play any of the latest games at an acceptable speed. Tablets are built to be portable (usually) and adding things like independent video cards adds a lot of size, weight, and battery life loss. There are only one or two tablets that I've seen that offer a dedicated video card, and they're still not good enough to really run the newest games very well.

Santa Rosa isn't really going to help the fact that none of these tablets have good video cards. They still won't run the newest games well (if at all).

If the Gateway has Wacom it should be fine for art. The same applies to pretty much any tablet with Wacom.

If gaming on your laptop is that important to you, I'd suggest keeping your current one and just buying an independent Wacom pad that plugs in through USB.

7. Samiij

Samiij Pen Pal - Newbie

are there any decent Art Tablet PCs that can take an upgrade to a better Graphics card?

A LG C1 look almost perfect for me, except its too small and it has a passive digitalizer rather than an active, is there any way i could mod that maybe? (I personaly doubt it)

8. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Wait, it's almost perfect except that the LCD is too small AND it's got passive digitizer? I guess definition of perfect changed a bit? :D

Your best bet is to track down a Toshiba M7 with the Quadro option on ebay. If it wasn't for your Maya requirement, I would say don't sweat over GMA950 but obviously Maya would make it cry...

9. Samiij

Samiij Pen Pal - Newbie

sounds good, too bad this is the only one I can find within Australia is $2600
    and I'm about $600 short, so I have to save a bit, one last question: if I wait towards the end of the year will my chances of getting a good tablet PC that runs Maya Improve

10. brynn

brynn Pen Pal - Newbie

A passive digitizer cannot be changed to active without severe modification, including probably changing out the entire LCD. It would probably cost well over the value of the laptop to mod this.

Graphics cards, along with most other hardware other than RAM, cannot be upgraded in laptops. The reason being that laptop motherboards are very specially built for each model, and there are no standard dimensions or power draw that a manufacturer could use to sell upgrade cards. Integrated graphics are a part of the chipset itself, and you would have to replace the entire motherboard to "upgrade it", but once again the only motherboard that will fit in your laptop is the one that came with it.

The reviews for Santa Rosa came out, and along with having a fairly reduced battery life, the performance gain was little to none. You aren't going to find anything at the end of the year that's much better than what's out now.

No matter how long you wait (besides maybe 3-5 years) you aren't going to find a tablet that runs Maya well. Again, tablets aren't designed to be processing powerhouses for 3D graphics. It will work, yes, but it may be a little slow.

To be blunt, the Lenovo X60T seems like the best deal on the market, and you can save about $500 on them right now. They're also well under your budget. They're extremely well built, have a good track record, have amazing (probably the best) battey life, Wacom active digitizer, and Core 2 Duo available as an option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.