What impact does docking have on battery life

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by greatg, Jul 12, 2016.

1. greatg

greatg Scribbler - Standard Member

A few weeks ago (almost 2 yrs to the day I purchased SP3), when on batt, my SP3 only lasted about 30 min. Upon further investigation, I discovered that my batt efficiency had deteriorated to the point that it could only hold 30% of its total charge. Since my SP3 was my daily driver at the office it was primarily docked (95%) of the time and undocked for meetings etc. I have discovered that leaving your device connected to AC does in fact degrade the batt. So, I would like to ask the group, "How do you get through your day, when the SP3/4 is docked? And what effect has/have you noticed on your batt efficiency?"

p.s. I have replaced my SP3 w/SP4 and I'm not looking to repeat the same batt issues.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  2. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

We bought two Q702 Fujitsu's and have been docking them now 3 1/2 years without battery issues. I had been using the Fujitsu battery utility to only charge 80% where my co-worker always kept his at 100%. I've now switched mine to 100% in its last year. Still great battery life. When ours are charged they stop charging even when docked. Wonder if Microsoft docking station/software are at fault?

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The Surface 3 does not have this problem with its dock. I keep my Surface docked every day. During the time it is docked it charges to full and then stops. When I take it home, I rarely use all the battery, so I bring it back the next day and dock it again. After a year of use, I have 5% wear. Even the exchange unit I got when my display went bad has 5% wear. So, I am assuming that is normal for this device.

4. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

does the surface have a battery calibration? My wife's Yoga 3 has repeatedly done one. I've never done one on the Fujitsu or Surface Pro (1). Info from Fujitsu battery utility reports that my battery has been through 205 cycles. That's pretty good over 3 1/2 years.

One of the biggest battery killers is heat. Have you ever left your computer in the car? I cringe when I see people leave their computer bag in the trunk.

5. greatg

So, if this is normal then my SP3 batt must have been defective to sine I was getting approx 75% wear?

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

That is a huge amount of wear for a battery. Even if it is 4 years old, I would expect 20-30% wear max or approx. 5% per year.

7. greatg

Okay, I'll just assume my SP3 had a very "bad battery!" Anyways, I also posted a tread on best batt practices and from the responses - you should not be keeping your device plugged in in on AC. The batt prefers to be cycled?

8. GiGo

GiGo Pen Pal - Newbie

After 18months of use of my current SP3 the battery holds it's charge fine.

The biggest issue I have is the drain of the fans and how hot it gets! If I were to buy another I would by the i5 so it doesn't run so hot!

If I leave my SP3 unplugged and turned on over night (ie fold the keyboard over the screen) the battery will be at 30% by the morning! (about 6 hours) This I attribute to the fans as my SP3 will be warm when I pick it up!