What I think of my new Hp tc4200

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Ria, Oct 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ria

Ria Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay, so I have had my tablet for two days now, and I'll give you guys my opinion on it.

My Specs:
    60g hard drive, 1.73ghz processor, 512mb ram. Tablet XP OS

I purchased this off of CDW's outlet, and it was a steal. The outlet items are basically items that have been returned, and they can't sell them as new since someone already bought it. In my case, the machine was brand new w/all of the manuals install cds and everything! [and unbeknownst to me, they included the hp external cd-rw/ dvd-r drive :)] Purchase price total: $1108 (w/a member discount) but otherwise around 1300. So, if you're planning on buying a tablet on a budget, this might be a good place to look.

I absolutely LOVE this machine. Everything feels sturdy, right down to the keyboard, although I will have to get used to some of the key placement. The screen isn't the brightest, but viewable at wide angles, and I can definitely see the screen in my huge lecture halls with overhead fluorescent lighting.

After using the tablet for the past 4 hours, the base is a little warm to the touch. I'd say the equivilent of running your hand under lukewarm water. It runs extremely quiet. I can't even remember ever hearing it run at all! [It's a nice change from my old satellite notebook]

It has an AMAZING battery life. It's nearly 2x my old notebook. I've averaged 4-5 hours a charge, with running a lot of programs at the same time.

The size is slightly smaller than your regular sheet of paper, but you really don't notice it when taking notes. It weighs around 4.5 lbs, and is hardly noticeable in my backpack. However, it is a little heavy to rest in your arm for extended periods of time. I think I could do it for maybe 30 min, but it's best to just rest it in your lap or on a flat surface. I think I'm going to put a 3 ring binder in my lap, to give it a little slant to make writing easier.

I've used it to take notes in class, so far I've just been recording the image of my handwriting, and haven't been converting to text in class. It works just as well as it would if I were taking notes in my notebook, and with the template it even looks like notebook paper.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It comes with both a touchpad and a pointing stick for those IBM enthusiasts [which I found pretty thoughtful] I for one have never been able to master the pointing stick, but whatever floats your boat:)

I read a review where they said that since the pen release button was next to the screen, when they grabbed the tablet in slate mode, the pen would shoot out. I for one have never encountered this problem, the button is a tiny bit recessed to help prevent that. [I was just wondering how the reviewer was working the tablet in slate mode with the pen in the slot!]

The handwriting recognition is pretty good, I've found it works best when I write in cursive (which I do anyway)... Now if only it would support Vietnamese and I would be set, I mean seriously, it's all the same letters with a few added accent marks.

The few cons I could find:
    -Screen a little more slippery than I would like, but when my screen protectors arrive, it'll fix that. Don't get me wrong though, I've taken notes with just the screen, and it really isn't a problem.
    - Some weird button placement on the keyboard, but once again not a big issue.
    - No firewire
    - No built in optical, but most lightweight tablets don't have one
    - Not made for "hard core" gaming. But, handles most games pretty well.
    - HAVING ONE IS RATHER ADDICTING!

I would recommend this machine to anyone, and now my friends want ones too! It's great for any college student if you take lots of notes, and don't want to carry around all of the notebooks and stuff.

LOVE IT!

2. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Pen Pal - Newbie

Congratulations Ria!

I also want to buy the TC4200 next time. But i will buy the 2 Ghz Centrino model with 1 GB Ram. Have Fun with your Tablet ;-)

Regrads

Matthias

3. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ria,

Thanks for sharing your positive experience. I am a big fan of the TC4200 as well. BTW - Your handwriting in the notes is about 500% better than mine! LOL

4. spybld

spybld Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your mini review. I'm looking at this one too (ee student so we have the same uses), but how did you get that price at CDW's? If i got that, I'd buy it right away. At the moment i'm seeing $1,599.95.

-spy

5. Ria

Ria Pen Pal - Newbie

hey spy check out CDW's outlet, the stock changes from week to week, but currently i don't see any tc4200s with the tablet pc OS in the outlet right now... only xp pro. But check back from time to time. hmmm I see a t4020 for about 1600, and a bunch of x41s 1600+.... but not much else with tablet OS.

I just ended up getting really lucky :)

haha and thanks for the comment on my handwriting Barry, I've found that since I write in some weird half cursive form, that handwriting to text translation is fairly easy for me. Just wait until I get me screen protector, then there'll be a little more drag, and writing will be a lot easier.

6. Noahas

Noahas Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your review. I just ordered one as well, from a seller off eBay and paid $1000 for the same model, new with 3 yr warranty (no CD/DVD drive though). What is a members discount though? I live about 15 minutes from CDW and get things there occassionally, but am unfamiliar with any "membership". I have a business account and a corresponding discount with it, but it isn't 15% off retail ($1300 to $1100 that you got).

Thanks in advance.

7. Ria

Ria Pen Pal - Newbie

Perhaps larger business acount? I'm really not clear about the details on that, someone else ordered it for me with their discount. They do a lot of business w/CDW.... a lot.

8. Noahas

Noahas Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the quick response. The larger business account makes more sense, as I mentioned, I only get things there occasionally when in a rush since they have everything and are close .... although it was nice when my childhood friend was an account manager there and I got things for 2% over cost ....

9. michaelsmith

michaelsmith Pen Pal - Newbie

i have owned a tc4200 for about a year now it worked for about 7 months. after that it broke due to a faulty motherboard and hard disk this was just before my exams and i lost about 4 bits of coursework it then took hp the following 5 months to repair the laptop and return it to me. ive had it bac a month and its sitting next to me locked up as it has been for the best part of the day it was working when i got it back but now it hangs everytime i carry out a task, anyone got any of these simptoms? or experienced the customer service? id love to hear about it.

IF YOUR COMPUTERS IMPORTANT TO YOU DONT BUY HP

:eek: :D :cool: :(

10. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Whilst I would admit, it is not nice being on the receiving end of a faulty piece of equipment and then having to endure on top a bad case of customer service, I don't think however you should base your assumptions in total negativity solely on your particular problem.
    After all, there are many, many individuals who have been very happy with their HP ~ are we to dismiss their claims solely on your issues Michael.

If you feel that strong about the issue, rather than 'slay HP here', take your complaint to HP in writing, outlaying all the problems with timescales you have had to suffer.
    Send the letter by recorded delivery to ensure you have an account of it being received and give them a period of say ten working days to answer before you will seek professional assistance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.