What happened with Android tablets

Discussion in 'Other Android Tablet Manufacturers' started by Kumabjorn, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I'll put it in this sub forum since it is a general Android discussion.

What happened with Android tablets the last year? It is as if all the makers collectively gave up breathing. Since tablets were introduced around Ice Cream Sandwich, I can't think of a less interesting year for Android tablets than 2017. Not getting thinner, no interesting type cover solutions, low resolution, stagnant battery life, big bezels, few new apps. What happened, and will 2018 be even more depressing? Or am I just being a querrolous witch with a b?

JoeS likes this.
  2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yeah it’s interesting. I also have the impression that android tablet makers have retreated. Perhaps the average consumer is fine with the bargain basement bin, and there’s not much of a market for premium android devices. It’s too bad, because I’m not a fan of the tippety tappety Apple pencil.

3. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member

No love for the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3? less than a quarter inch thick, origami type cover, 2048 x 1536, up to 12 hrs. battery life per techradar's review, bezels are average top/bottom, fairly narrow to the sides (in portrait mode) --- I'll pass on the apps aspect since I haven't yet been able to justify getting one (if it were 8 inches, I'd have one --- as it is, I'm about to yield to a Galaxy Note 8)

Also looking promising are the new Onyx Boox / Note models.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Kumabjorn likes this.
  4. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think Google and manufactures in turn plan to move Chrome OS, as there has been a leak of what might be a tablet running Chrome OS, and I think it was pen enabled too.

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

No doubt a fine machine, a little like the exception proving the rule. But honestly, is it exciting? Does it start your blood flowing through those decrepit veins?

6. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

IMHO, the TAB S3 improved upon the 9.7" ipad, so perhaps 1 generation behind? I am finding it to be the best Samsung w sPen device for my needs so far... I do hope they release a larger 12" Tab S3 Pro with top CPU...

But...

Android suffers from a "race to the bottom" in prices. While Apple can sell higher value products, cheap Android devices are now often given away for free. Oddly it seems the Amazon tablets are doing ok, but they have often been only in then low-end with their silly custom OS.

"Phablets" have replaced "Tablets" in many roles, including Apple.

Android 7 has the best multi-tasking window implementation between, Win/Android/iOS.

It does seem that Google and Samsung view Chrome OS as the way forward for larger screens? I wish the Google Pixelbook used a Wacom EMR pen!

WillAdams likes this.