What features are you looking forward to in Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 7' started by DRTigerlilly, Apr 11, 2009.

?

Windows 7 Beta Statistics

Poll closed Sep 18, 2009.
  1. I have tried the Windows 7 Beta.

19 vote(s)
    70.4%
  2. I would like to try the Windows 7 Beta (missed the Public Beta)

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. I will probably try the Release Candidate.

17 vote(s)
    63.0%
  4. What's Windows 7? What Beta??

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Windows 7 so far has been met with what could probably be considered the best reception of any Windows operating system i dare say in the History of Windows.

It has also earned the reputation of being one of Microsofts most stable beta releases.

What does the new operating system mean or signify to you?

What do you think about what you've seen so far?

What features are you most looking forwards to?

and for those of our users who were able to try the beta, Where do you see room for improvement?

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

When MS releases the public RC I will also join the Win 7 users club and try to replace my current Win XP:TE with it.
    Currently I only have it installed on a Virtual PC.

Win 7 earned that good receiption, because Win Vista was that bad, XP is very old but the users want to use a newer OS, like Vista, but hate it, because it's worse than XP. So Win 7 is just a better OS than Vista and thus everyone has to love it.

What I've seen so far: Nothing worldshaking.
    It's useable, stable and fast. Has a new and improved TIP, ribbon bar and fancy visual effects. It's just like a newer Win XP with new drivers, more appealing GUI, and I will need it if I want to run future software.
    It still uses the same old 2D GUI, the same poor filesystem (sad that they don't try to implement Win FS), ...; there isn't such a great change.

I mainly only upgrade because I like the new TIP, hope the indexing service is better than in XP with Windows search and because XP is just old and it's just time to upgrade to a newer OS.

3. booone0

booone0 Pen Pal - Newbie

I will be replacing windows vista with the new Win7. So far I love the actual stability, speed, and taskbar implementation of Windows 7.

It just shows how bad Vista is when both the tweaked and plain old clean installs of Vista are still slower and less stable than a Beta install of 7.

I can't wait for it to come out and will gladly pay for it.

4. DRTigerlilly

i think Vista has an unfair reputation, its downfalls were that it is resource hungry, but once you were running it with @ least 2gb of ram it was fine.

My other dislike of Vista was the slowness of search, which i couldn't understand. I get that when it was still indexing files it would be slow but i expected it to be faster once everything was indexed. It was not.

I'm finding in Windows 7 that when it was first installed, search was snappy & responsive, now it is back to being slow and taking forever, not sure why that is.

5. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

It's easier on resources and the TIP is better. That's enough improvement for me to upgrade.

6. craigt

craigt Pen Pal - Newbie

I never liked the search indexing in Vista. I got to the point of installing google desktop. Windows 7 seems to work better.

7. Mystic

Mystic Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried build 7000 of Windows 7 for a brief time. The new features are neat, but I feel that they should have already been included with Windows Vista.

After a short time, I got rid of Windows 7. At the time I had only a small hard drive and didn't have any use for dual-booting, which was only wasting precious HDD space. Well, that and I didn't really want to deal with the headaches of beta software at the time.

I'll try the release candidate once it is officially released by Microsoft.

8. DRTigerlilly

Definitely agree with you that Windows 7 feels like what Vista should have been.

I think Vista ended up being rushed to market, like MS felt they had to put out something with all the delays they had in the making of that OS, maybe the OEM's were clamoring for it, to help push their lagging sales, with people not buying machines because of the impending release of the OS.

I agree with Frank as well that it's sad that all the great features that we were promised for Vista, still not have been realized in this iteration, in alot of ways Windows 7 feels like Vista.2.

9. adretzios

adretzios Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, Vista went to the market without a number of drivers with the new driver model having been available. However, it was a good operating system and still is.

Now, Win7 is far more than "Vista done right". The driver model has been advanced (although Vista drivers still work) and eventually most drivers would be included in the "Device Stage". The operating system now makes far fewer calls to the cache and requires less memory to work acceptably well. So, there is a lot of new code and a very tight code in the core section of the OS. There are some great functionality enhancements (the application doc and the jump lists are my favorites) as well as the libraries etc, etc. And, let's not forget how fast search is right now. So, overall Win7 is an excellent OS and exceedingly stable. I am running the RC in two laptops right now and it has never crashed. Another advantage is that "sleep" mode is now far more dependable although this feature has also been rendered very robust in Vista with SP2.

So, it would be wrong to give the impression that Win7 is just re-arranged Vista although it does have lots of similarities (and this is fine in my book). But it also has great art work (the icons and other design elements are simply fantastic).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.