What driver/update do you add to a new tablet?

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by TabletX, Jun 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TabletX

TabletX Pen Pal - Newbie

I am getting a Toshiba Portege M405 and pretty much planning to redo the entire system. My question is that what driver/program do I need to update?

So far I identified that I should:
    *Get the memory leak fix from Microsoft
    *New Wacom Driver for the pen
    *The rather useless USB 2.0 update
    *The blank screen issue (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917332/en-us) Maybe I can bug them for it.

So far those are the only thing that I see, is there anything else? Some patch that I missed out? Thank you guys.

2. everythingblogcast

everythingblogcast Scribbler - Standard Member

First of all the memory leak fix from Microsoft is ready installed on the system. But it does not hurt to download and install in again.

3. Jesse

Jesse Pen Pal - Newbie

If you get the M400, you should be fairly up to date with Windows XP, however it's always wise to do a complete update and I know that they've released quite a few security updates in the past couple months (I think it was 11 this month). I don't think there are that many updates (if any) pertaining solely to the Tablet PC version of Windows XP.

As well, if you visit the Toshiba site (support --> driver downloads --> Tablet PC --> Portege --> <your model>) you will find a list of recent updates to your Tablet PC. I'd suggest installing those, as well.

You should also make sure that your office software is completely up to date and you should be good to go.

4. TabletX

TabletX Pen Pal - Newbie

Well yes that would be true if I was planing to survive with their ghost image. I would rather redo the entire OS, but yeah with that comes troubles. I don't know which update are a must for Tablet OS beyond the normal windows update. But yeah I guess, it will be a very long week while I sort out everything.

5. Jesse

Jesse Pen Pal - Newbie

I see what you mean. If you are looking to do a "bare minimum" install to ensure that none of the usual junk bloatware is installed, I would first do a fresh install of Windows, ensure that your computer is completely up to date using Windows Update (you may choose not to install the "Windows Genuine Advantage checker" as there is a bit of controversy over that acting as spyware; although if you have a legit key then you won't have a problem) and then proceed to download anything with the word "driver" in it from Toshiba's support site. Extract them all from their zipped/compressed format (don't install them) and then enter your "Device Manager" and update anything that's not properly intsalled (with a yellow circle and exclamation mark) by specifying the folder all of the drivers were extracted to from the Toshiba site.

I would definitely install the sound and graphics drivers using the "setup.exe" and you will probably want to install the biometric security (fingerprint reader) program, as well.

Some people may say that this isn't the most effective way of setting up your notebook, but it will keep the extraneous processes to a minimum and all hardware will work properly.

Keep in mind that you will not have Toshiba's power saver program or any of the other utilities if you do it this way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.