What does the Fire 2 need to compete with the Nexus 7?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Mitlov, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Google's Nexus 7, frankly, kicks the butt of the current Kindle Fire. Processor, ecosystem (Nexus owners can buy from either Google Play or Amazon; Fire owners only the latter, and its app selection is horrible), resolution, presence of cameras, hardware buttons...the Nexus 7 tromps the Fire in every way, yet costs the exact same amount $199.

What do you think the Fire 2 can/should offer that would help it fight back to Google's potent salvo on the cheap-Android-tablet front?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  2. Bolsa

Bolsa Pen Pal - Newbie

How Nexus 7 e-book apps/utilities compare to Kindle Fire ???

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Haven't tried them; don't know. I think of the Google Play store as superior in apps but inferior in books and TV shows to Amazon (particularly if you have Prime), but I don't have anything concrete to point at that proves that.

What I can say is that Amazon brought exactly what it needed. Particularly with a 1920x1200 9" IPS screen and 16 gb of storage for $299, just $50 more than the 16 gb Nexus 7, and $200 less than an iPad 3.

4. benroveno

benroveno Pen Pal - Newbie

I think despite having a lame app selection on Amazon App Store, i think Kindle Fire HDX is more powerful than Nexus 7 because it's armed with Snapdragon 800 and Adreno 330 GPU, as opposed to the Snapdragon S4 Pro and Adreno 320 on Nexus 7 2nd-gen. And i've already seen latest graphically demanding games like GTA San Andreas doesn't run so smoothly in full graphics on Google's tablet. However, i agree that Google Nexus 7 is still better than Kindle Fire HDX because it has rear-camera, huge app selection, growing ecosystem that gets full supports from developers and great UI.