What Do You Want in the Surface Pro 5

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Aug 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

There will probably be a live stream, but we have members from Shanghai here, right?

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Any theories on the reason for announcing anything in China for a company like Microsoft? Only to say "the Surface Phone is manufactured in China, but the workers are much happier than those at Foxconn"? Any other theories? All Chinese schools will now work with the Surface Pro S with Cantonese keyboard?

Bronsky likes this.
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Any theories on the reason for announcing anything in China...>>

...It could be as simple as Microsoft wanting to highlight the international nature of its business. In addition, China is potentially a BIG market, and they may be trying to leverage that, as well as smoothing over their recent tiff with the Chinese government over Windows 10. Beyond that, who knows...?

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Here's my snarky answer over at Paul's site:

"This is another shot across Apple's bow folks. A lot of the talk at Apple's earnings call was about lack of success (diminishing sales) in China - the supposedly great untapped market Cook was crowing about three years ago. No, I don't expect Surface Phone, because I think that is a dead duck, but another form of universal mobile device (call it Surface Mini, Courier, whatever) is a distinct possibility. Despite a lot of pessimism about Surface Laptop among us hardcore users, Microsoft is shaping up as the new Apple; touch is everywhere; and Nadella/Panay are turning out to be a very powerful combination. I really believe the hardware guys see themselves as the Mercedes S class of the computer industry, and they are taking the fight directly to the new spaceship campus in Cupertino..."

With a slight detour through Shanghai - I think sales of smartphones in China is a dangerous path given the home court advantages their own OEM's have - look at Apple's own difficulties with iPhone there - but another mobile device that ties easily to the Android ecosystem that those home bred Chinese smartphones use...now that has marketing potential.

sonichedgehog360 and WillAdams like this.
  5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I was pondering this whole "evolution of computers" thing...

On the hardware side...

The really big change we are all finding our equilibrium within came in the form of the iPad. -A portable computer which successfully got rid of the keyboard and integrated touch as the main input carrier. A New Idea! (No debates about who came first or rounded edges, please. You know what I mean. Apple set the reality.)

Everything since that "Oh boy!" moment has been a result of the surrounding environment and society adjusting.

Microsoft's Surface line is a reaction to that sea change, and is simply bringing that vision into a finalized form. -One where you can use the full potential of commercial computing chip power to run the bulk of that massive software library the public has been creating since the first silicon started shipping in the form of home computers.

On the software side...

The big sea change for software was the introduction of a working DRM paradigm writ large. They actually DID it! -That thing everybody was terrified of happening HAPPENED because it came in disguise, looked pretty, and wooed developers with the age-old lottery scam, where a very tiny percentage of the public made some good money by selling fart apps.

Again, this change was brought to the world by Apple. -Where the public commons were eschewed for a clever model where everybody constantly pays to play, -and *likes* it.

But, as was once cried from the heights of a young internet, "Information Wants To Be Free!"

And I think in a broad sense, this is correct, and the world is adjusting accordingly.

Strive as they might, part of the equalizing effect of the computer world in response to the splash down of the new design of portable touch computers is the return of the commons. Real operating systems with full computing power. -Which is basically what Microsoft did with deliberate might, cutting through the glacially slow progress of traditional old computer makers.

So.., having done that, I'm not sure what we really expect to see in terms of innovation with the current technology. I expect to see expansion and refinement, but what more?

The current technology of that big first sea change splashdown includes screens with touch capability and thin computer chassis. Maybe you can add good WiFi and decent batteries to that list.

But that's the playset. How much more can be done with it?

Personally, I'm hoping for refinement of Pen input coupled with some bigger screens.

Really good eInk screens would be cool. -But that's my point: in order to take another giant leap, we'd need to see the introduction or maturation of a different technology, or a major change in design. Getting rid of the keyboard was a major change. A kickstand is not.

That Google Glass stuff seemed to be promising, (in a creepy Borg kind of way). -One which I hope is forestalled indefinitely. I really do not want to see flocks of zombies chasing Pokemon with the use of special sunglasses and eye implants, existing in private reality bubbles where the content is pay-as-you-go and scripted by Coca Cola and Disney. No thank you!

Um...

Insert poignant wrap-up observation, end essay.

Good day to you all!

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

But but.. that's exactly what I want! :) Well, minus the creepy camera. I commented earlier on this site somewhere that sitting in the airport waiting for the plane to board, I would have liked to have glasses that would allow me to play movies stored on my phone, and display them at high resolution with the glasses in AR mode. Being able to watch any movie you like truly privately would be great. That could include those kinds of movies, but maybe not at the airport.. :D

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This one's pretty easy actually...it's AI—or rather, the all-pervasive consumer data-mining "IoT" incarnation of it.

And it is already happening before our eyes: Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, self-driving cars, smart appliances, and cameras that will dress you (cuz it seems we are too stupid do anything for ourselves these days :p).

Welcome to the future, boys!

8. Kumabjorn

The only reason for doing it in Shanghai that comes to mind is that they must think the New York crowds too rowdy. They are aiming for a low key presentation without crowd reactions. Rest assured that Panay's and Nadella's idiom will not stir the listeners. Unless they bring those along as well.

9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I really think this is a case of showing up Apple so close to the China and India markets they so strongly crave. That, and the fact that most all of the manufacturing is there - so it is a natural showcase...

Or it could be as simple as...
    [​IMG]

10. Kumabjorn

You are most likely right, there are no emoji for sarcasm, but that is what I was aiming for.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

thatcomicsguy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.