What Do You Want in the Surface Pro 5

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Aug 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

What Business Insider and a few other sites touch on is the possibility that these are not cherry-picked but that this hacker group actually gained access to iCloud user account information. This is extremely unlikely like you say, unless Apple's system for storing and recovering user credentials has a workaround:

"The hackers denied any direct breach of Apple systems. What muddies the water is that the hackers also appear in some cases to have passwords that have been only used for iCloud. Welcome to the wonderful world of security nuance."

Source: http://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-icloud-ransom-what-you-need-to-know/

I expect them to be your typical group of just a ragtag band of hackers who spew out grandiose, braggadocio claims. But worse case scenario, this development that I quoted there could also mean an iCloud vulnerability affecting exclusively iCloud users as well.

dellaster likes this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@sonichedgehog360 Yep, it's a whole different story if it's an iCloud breach, but as you quoted even the hackers denied any direct breach. I'm guessing those few that were seemingly *only* iCloud passwords are owned by people who either misremembered that they used it elsewhere or they were too embarrassed to admit they were still using an old password... and maybe a few who suspected the ZDNET survey was a scam and lied to them.

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You two are really on to something. That "book" would be an amazing device. It looks like two bezel-less iPads hinged together.

WillAdams and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  4. sonichedgehog360

upload_2017-3-27_1-41-38.png
    Source:
    https://twitter.com/donasarkar/stat...ors-update-rs2-rtm-iso-this-week-514287.shtml

Steve S, dstrauss and WillAdams like this.
  5. sonichedgehog360

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  6. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  7. sonichedgehog360

8. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I don't know about Ryzen but judging from all previous surface with Intel MS had a lot of issues until optimized firmware drivers that took many months until being stable and smooth.

I'm afraid with AMD things could be even worst.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. sonichedgehog360

Not in my experience. For example, unlike AMD, Intel's graphics drivers are notorious for problems. In fact, the latest drivers cause issues with the Dolphin GameCube/Wii emulator I use. For some reason, the latest drivers cause Dolphin to render the in-game graphics at native resolution and not at the requested scaled resolution. Yet if I go back to the driver release in late summer from Intel, there are no issues with rendering at 720p.

As I mentioned elsewhere in the forum, there also was a minor yet ongoing hardware bug in Intel graphics hardware since 2011 affecting all Intel CPUs. Among other things, this hardware bug caused certain objects to stay in the render buffer. For example, this bug caused an issue in Sonic Adventure 2 HD on Steam where the trolley train on the very first level would get stuck in front of the third-person user view until the very end of the level. This hardware bug was only recently uncovered and fixed in the silicon in Skylake. Intel integrated graphics are abysmal for quality and reliability.

On the other hand, AMD's drivers have typically been rock solid for the last five years. I personally have never had any issues with AMD's integrated graphics or CPUs. Back in 2012, I had an AMD laptop and though it was pokey and sluggish, there were absolutely no hardware issues to speak of. I could install drivers back and forth and they all "just worked." Really, that is the way it should be and, in my experience, AMD is extremely reliable in this regard.

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

If they are going to wait on this:
    1. It will be like waiting on Gadot...and worse
    2. They will be playing with matches over an open pail of gasoline - Intel has already burned them, repeatedly, with known architectures - what happens with a new architecture and die size at the same time...hot bagging may be a preferred dilemma compared to what awaits Canon Lake...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.