What Do You Want in the Surface Pro 5

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Aug 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

If the Turkish Crime Family's claims are true like their recent demonstration showed, Apple is in a real pickle. We could see a mass migration from Apple to other platforms besides a slew of never-ending lawsuits over insecure data handling practices on their part. Really, this could be Tim Cook's first big folly as CEO if they don't start tackling this problem head-on. The timing of all this is also coincidentally convenient for Microsoft: they just started their Mac-to-Windows switching ad campaign. If the worst ends up happening for Apple and these hackers actually did somehow get access to iCloud user data, Microsoft might get a wave of new customer seeking a safe haven from future data compromises. Then, Apple-0, Microsoft-1, right?

Source:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/appl...kish-crime-family-real-people-affected-2017-3

2. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If my memory is strong enough MS send invitation for hardware release event almost a month before the announcement take placed eventually.

And there's being strong rumors 1-2 months before October 2015 announcement.

As each days pass to me it's impossible to see any hardware event this spring.

My opinion is that successor will see September or October.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  3. sonichedgehog360

I think you may have missed these posts below, @alextrela182 . Normally, it has been around 3 weeks, 22 days and 19 days lead time. We are already under this approximate three week precedent, but that still doesn't mean that there is no announcement coming, though. @dstrauss and others strongly believe Microsoft might follow their long-held tradition of doing big things on Tuesdays and wait until this Tuesday to send out the official invites. Microsoft also might have been waiting to be doubly sure Creators Update's RTM build was 100% ready for release before going forward this week. Now that they have their RTM build finalized for release, there is nothing to stop them. That said, if we don't hear anything by the end of Tuesday, I think it is safe to say there will be nothing worthwhile hardware-wise from Microsoft for Creators Update.

alextrela182 likes this.
  4. alextrela182

Well MS rumors of any kind hardware event some day has become stronger than of mysterious exciting or not of the monster of Loch Ness:p
    [​IMG]

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  5. sonichedgehog360

Bronsky and alextrela182 like this.
  6. alextrela182

In that region of US founded several creatures from dinosaurs age so not surprisingly even today we learned more and more on that period of earth history.

So never loosing our hope as you said.

7. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've read the Business Insider and ZDNET articles, among others, and don't see the need for alarm unless you're currently using the same login info on iCloud now as you did on LinkedIn in 2012, apparently.

"Despite the advice of security experts, many people re-use passwords over and over, meaning that if one of their accounts (apparently LinkedIn, in this case) is compromised, their others all become vulnerable too. So clearly people are at risk, even if it's not necessarily the millions of people that Turkish Crime Family claimed are affected." --Business Insider article​

Which some people do, as the cherry-picked examples sent by the hacker group to ZDNET proved. Moral? Periodically change your password. Use two-factor authentication and/or a trusted device system like Apple, Microsoft, and others use (when you log on with a device you haven't logged on with before, you have to authenticate via whatever method you set up beforehand, email or text).

And even if people should be alarmed by this particular threat, the affected people aren't just iCloud users. They're anyone who is using the same id/password as five years ago on LinkedIn. That means their Microsoft account, including One Drive, is just as affected. Ditto all the other online accounts.

Mass migrate from where to where? They're all just as vulnerable, if they're vulnerable at all. It just happens that the hacker group is extorting Apple at the moment.

8. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I also wouldn't mind the roughly 50-inch Surface desk at the 4:10 mark...

Recently I started watching Marvel's "Legion" and in the first episode there is a scene where the interrogator has a device that very much reminded me of Microsoft's Courier concept.
    It is great that MS put the Windows tablet into the mainstream with the Surface Pro. But now everyone just makes the same device, there is a lack of innovation. I wish MS would now come out with something like the Courier, as I think that would ratlle up the market much better than a somewhat better SP5. Coincidentally, a Courier-like device would be much more worthy of a Surface BOOK name...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    sonichedgehog360 and WillAdams like this.
  9. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would give my interest in hell for Lenovo to just take their Yoga Book, add a Wacom EMR digitizer to the screen, then double up the screen half, adding a utility to put a customizable keyboard on one screen (heck, allow both and one could have a strip of function keys along one screen edge).

darkmagistric and kvoram like this.
  10. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Maybe they could even make the other half detachable, with a second EMR display (optionally an E-Ink EMR display) on one side, and a physical keyboard on the other side. Then you could have a proper laptop/netbook experience when you want to type or you could detach it, rotate 180°, re-attach, and have double EMR screened book-type device like the Courier or even use that bottom screen for not just customizable "regular" keyboards but also make that other screen work like an infinite possibilities version of Microsoft's Blades concept for the Surface Pro 2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.