What Do You Want in the Surface Pro 5

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Aug 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

Two words: Power Cover ;)

Last I looked on Amazon, they're selling for $40. Buy a couple and all of a sudden, the SP1/SP2 have more battery life than current models.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that SP5 brings back a new version of the Power Cover. Even the SB had to stuff batteries in the keyboard and display to achieve its phenomenal battery life.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

My problem with the power cover is that once you get one, the toral rig is so thick and heavy you might as well have gotten the SB -

Hey, there's an idea, a fast-charge switch to let you top off the Clipboard from the base...

3. b52hbuff

Understand. But cool thing about the Power Cover approach is that you're not forced to use it. If you know you need battery life (e.g. plane trip), you can use it. If you're going to be strolling around the office, you can use the slimmer Type Cover.

darkmagistric and dstrauss like this.
  4. dstrauss

Marty likes this.
  5. b52hbuff

We all love high tech, and I think the semiconductor industry has spoiled us with amazing gains every year.

But battery technology in recent years seems to be disappointing. The two most widespread battery stories are on the Samsung Note and the new MacBook Pros. Can't think of a success story...

...and in Microsoft land, wasn't there some issue with Surface batteries that extended beyond the "firmware fix"?

6. dstrauss

@b52hbuff - Yes, batteries are sometimes still a problem on Surface devices, but that goes for almost everything (look at the "secret" battery replacement program for iPhone 6s devices due to premature death). Overall you are right - our devices are Star Trek worthy, while our batteries are stuck in Bonanza...

thatcomicsguy and b52hbuff like this.
  7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Well, both Lorne Greene and Leonard Nimoy has gone the way of our batteries.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

The posting that gathered my 1000th . Appreciate the support guys. I have some ideas for reciprocation, but alas, the internet still can't compensate for physical distance.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  8. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It is kinda disappointing how little progress we have made in terms of batery capacity per volume. Most of the battery life progress of the past decade has been thanks to more energy-efficient components.

Super-capacitors would be nice but since those existed for years with still no consumer-market availability, there seem to be some big hurdles with that tech as well.
    I remember fuel cells being in the media quite a bit a decade ago, but I am glad that idea disappeared. Way too many issues with that tech for many reasons.

Swappable batteries would be indeed the best thing and don't even require anything new. It is a shame that we don't get those anymore. The only current tablet-pc that comes to mind with at least some swappable capability is the Lenovo X1 Tablet.
    I wish we would have at least options when it comes to battery capacity instead of being stuck with whatever the manufacturer deems appropriate.
    Why can't we have more attachable batteries like on the Lenovo X1T or previous Sony/Vaio designs or HP Elitebook 2740p/2760p?
    I also really dig the battery options on the Panasonic XZ, two capacity options for both the tablet and the keyboard base, essentially giving you four battery configurations from very lightweight to very long battery life.

Something like the magnetic battery add-on case on the Moto Z smartphones would also be a great thing for a tablet.

My dream device would offer swappable batteries that are also exchangeable between the tablet and the keyboard dock. Instead of recharging a tablet's battery slowly from the keyboard dock's battery, you could just switch them within seconds. Ideally those batteries would also be available in full and half capacity to give either less weight or more capacity.

WillAdams likes this.
  9. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Don't forget: the Death Star went the way of the Galaxy Note 7...
    [​IMG]

10. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

dstrauss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.