What Do You Want in the Surface Pro 5

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Aug 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RT545

RT545 Scribbler - Standard Member

Let's hope rather soon than late...

Thanks for the link to the other thread; I'll be sure to post there if I see new battery things coming...

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

There is only ONE battery life solution - battery capacity. If we want better battery life, give up on wafer thin system designs. Sure, throttle your processor, go ARM, Atom, or Core M, but it ain't going to add much to the equation...

and if you really want proof I am right, just troll all those worthless articles about how to extend your iPhone or iPad battery life - turn down screen brightness; quick (30 second or less) screen time outs; throttle the processor; don't game; don't stream; don't photo edit - great, I get a device that will tell me the time and peek at notifications (if I do that quickly as well).

Marty likes this.
  3. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If we had to pick on battery life/ capacity....how much would be acceptable ? 10,12,14,16,18 hours?

4. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think talking in hours of battery life is too imprecise because we all use our devices differently.

I have a separe gutted SP3 here. I just took a measurement of the SP3 battery with a caliper. At its thickest part I could only measure a thickness of 4.05mm. So if they would just add ONE single mm in thickness, battery capacity/battery life would increase by 25 %.

Sure, thinner can feel great, but one mm doesn't matter in real-life unless you compare them side by side. It only matters in marketing to the superficial fanboy-ish consumer crowd.

ships10 and dstrauss like this.
  5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well...to be fair, I'd say ARM devices generally get about double the 'typical usage' battery life of a Core U device (and Atom devices, about 25%-50% more).

But yeah, their seems to several global conspiracies working in tandem here: the thinness fad, the 'maor pixels!' fad, and the bewildering demise of every promising new battery tech in the last decade... :p

dstrauss likes this.
  6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

At the rate things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years USB-C becomes an untendable thickness hurdle. Just imagine a dark and grim post-trump future where the 2020 Macbook Pro literally has no ports.

ships10 and Bronsky like this.
  7. kvoram

I guess some folks won't be happy until our devices are as thin as this:
    [​IMG]

8. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well the other solution other by battery capacity issue is much quicker charging time for example 1 hour maximum with new kind battery that last their capacity more than a year without loosing energy that provide us.

But for now MS should had stayed at SP3 physical dimensions and same screen resolution and provide us 46-48Wh battery capacity.

And with efficiency Kaby Lake would provide we'd had 7-8 hours solid battery life.

Take a look here.
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/eve-v-the-first-ever-crowd-developed-computer-laptop-tablet#/

[​IMG]

How on earth those gays provide 48Wh battery capacity at same dimensions as Pro 4 and MS could not.

This is ridiculous.

As you can see below there's dozens of future battery development right now.
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/130...in-seconds-last-months-and-power-over-the-air

BUT we are more than a decade before see one of them in real life.

So the only realistic solution right now is OEM provide us with as bigger battery capacity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  9. kvoram

Well, to be fair, the Eve V has only a Y CPU, so they save all the space for the fan assermbly. They also saved space by going only with half-length 2242 m.2 SSDs, which in turn limits them to max 512GB and SATA only, because there are no 2242 m.2 SSDs on the market with >512GB or NVMe.

MS could have easily put a larger battery in the m3 SP4, since that one has a big hole where the fan on the i5/i7 SP4 is. But besides the additional costs of a more different design, this would have made the i5/i7 look bad. It is always a matter of compromises but sadly too often the manufacturers don't make the ones we like.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  10. RT545

RT545 Scribbler - Standard Member

It is why a crowdfunded tablet like Eve V is a good idea and should be encouraged; even if they do not start with the biggest specs right now, at least there is room for improvement, and also for relevant advices/support by the community to reach an interesting result in two or three generations, and probably faster than what the big manufacturers will propose.

alextrela182 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.