What Do You Want in the Surface Pro 5

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Aug 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been interacting with some of my friends that use Mac. My daughter uses a Mac, and I like keeping up on what the competition is doing.

It seems like the design of the new MacBook Pro is creating a bit of hoopla with its thinness and lack of "port diversity". It made me think about the EveV and how this community may react?

The introduction of USB-C on the MBP is great for Apple users. It gives them their first taste of a single point of attachment for a docking station. Something we've enjoyed since the days of the SP1.

But I get how having ONLY USB-C ports is a bit of a downer, given the current state of tech.

So what do you all think? Could you accept an SP5 that only had USB-C ports? What if USB-A was available via a dock?

If the SP5 goes USB-C, does that eliminate the need to have the proprietary docking connector?

2. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

I really want a Surface Pro 5, but my Pro "1" is still not obsolete. The only issue I'm having with the "original" is the 120GB SSD is almost full. Recently enabled bit locker and went to a photo login. I'm using the machine more now than I did when I first got it more than 3 years ago. Main reason I use it more now, is Windows 10 has made it more productive. Okay, I said it. I went down kicking and screaming. Still HATE automatic updates, but everything else has grown on me.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I think I could get by on the SP5, but I think @jnjroach once wrote on here that MS is uber-committed to it's proprietary port so it will stay around for a while. Seems superfluous to me, especially if you can attach desktop performance video cards to other portable devices across Thunderbolt 3, why stick with proprietary solutions.

As for the Surface Book, keep at least one USB-A port, and the SD card reader.

4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I thought he meant they would not get rid of the Surface connector, but that they would probably add a USB-C port in place of the current mDP port.

I think MS would face a huge backlash if they didn't include at least one USB-C port on a pro device in 2017...heck even "cheap" Chinese OEMs are putting USB-C on their tablets (which are looking nicer and nicer btw).

I do have a feeling MS might opt-out of TB3 though :(, which will no doubt miff a lot of power users, but probably not upset the core business user base too much.

JoeS likes this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I remember that statement, thus I expected it on the Studio as well. Well, well, well...

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

6. dstrauss

That's not just an "ouch" it would be a CRITICAL error.

Not really too surprising - there are no peripherals that use this connection, and has it's own ports in the base. Besides, just like they cheaped out on the hard drive, it probably cost a $1.50 less to use a regualr power cord than use their own proprietary connector.

7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

But it would have enabled hooking up the Surface Dock and creating an interesting multi monitor environment.

Balbutio ergo sum

dstrauss likes this.
  8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Once again, you surprise me good sir!

I agree with you, but I always thought only hardcore gamers cared about TB3 (for hooking up an external graphics card).

Might you also be "a gamer" at heart? ;)

9. dstrauss

No - not a gamer at all (unless you count Scrabble). There is no telling the usefulness of TB3 over time - a complete failure if they pass it up in the next version.

10. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Thunderbolt 3 pushes 40Gbps, I can't tell you the exact number but the Surface Connector pushes over 2.5x the data of Thunderbolt 3...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.