What Do You Want in the Surface Pro 5

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Aug 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kobe_24

kobe_24 Pen Pal - Newbie

I think the only thing that would make me replace my SP3, would be if the SP5 or SP6 came with at least 3 USB ports, two might make it worth my time. Dedicated windows key must stay, I'm cool with having a bezel. I guess you can throw in a card reader, but it is not necessary. Yes I can achieve this stuff with my peripherals, but I would much rather have more than USB port!

siddhartth likes this.
  2. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would settle for 2 USB 3.0 ports one in the tablet and other in a Surface book type battery Keyboard. As much as I like usb-C theoretically but the truth is I do not own a single USB C accessory.

One needs some place to hold the tablet.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Don't misunderstand me folks - I'm not anti-bezel WHEN IN TABLET MODE (well, personally, I'd leave it off even then) - but there is NO REASON for a bezel when in laptop mode (look at how much screen you get on the Dell XPS 13 - a 13.3" screen in an 11" size frame). With a 5mm bezel you get over 13" usable screen space in the current format - a win for everybody. Just to see what a difference it makes - look at the Surface Book screen and imagine no bezel - that would be an AWESOME form factor device (especially if they stuff in more battery).

siddhartth likes this.
  4. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Someone in the forum hinted that Intel has a new technology that can resize bezels. I searched the Web and found this.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/automatic-resizing-concept-give-surface-pro-4-rumored-ultra-thin-bezels

But -
    • since Surface Pro 5 is going to be an LCD in stead of OLED, so I don't think we are going to enjoy any battery saving advantage with this technology, which is possible in so many Android smart phones like Samsung and Motorola.
    • It will lead to awkward camera placements. check the following links to see camera in prior attempts at edgeless design-
    Many office going types have to do video conferencing with Surface. So they might not be very pleased. Both XPS and AQUOS phone have a single chin/bezel to accommodate camera and the display chip.
    I think Samsung did a great job of increasing display size in Note7.

I will prefer same camera orientation but with a AQUOS phone like 3 way edgeless bezel less design.
    But with following changes-
    • Complimentary battery keyboard cover to protect the bezel less display, with a single top bezel for camera and display chip.
    • Adaptive bezel display technology
    • Option of SuperAMOLED HDR display for casual non artist users, so that they can save battery with the bezel less technology.
    • No curved glass
    • No computing components in the keyboard part
    • Bring singular one 13.9" Surface, cancel Surfacebook line.
    • Make the tablet thicker for a bigger battery and computing part. Since the Surfacebook line will be cancelled, so no one would mind a thicker device that can compete with Macbook pro.
    • Do away with the hinge gap.
    • A larger Size and weight will not hurt as they no longer have to compete with the 9.7 iPad air2 but the humongous iPad pro, which is already larger.
    • Microsoft doesn't need to make a smaller non pro surface or larger surfacebook or else it will be eating into it's OEMs market share.
    My concept for Surfacebook14, which will have a 14 inch screen in the same footprint as the current one.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  5. davidwes

davidwes Pen Pal - Newbie

Wireless LTE.. (I know I can hot-spot my phone.. just convenience factor)

dstrauss likes this.
  6. dstrauss

It's more than just a convenience, it is a battery saver as well (for your phone).

7. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

You need to get that message to lenovo designer. 2" Thick bezels on every side.

8. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Luft likes this.
  9. dstrauss

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  10. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Actually with 512 I'm absolute happy:p
    But I would like that SSD model on board only.

Selling premium high cost device meaning top of the top components and not crapy one like on SP4.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

siddhartth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.