What Do You Want in the Surface Pro 5

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Aug 24, 2015.

1. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for posting these details. I lived these releases, because I was interested in Surface since SP1. But it is nice to see the concrete dates listed out.

Wonder if SP5 release will be more like SP3 (based on existing CPU from last release), or if it'll be more like SP2 (incremental improvement from 'tock'-based improvement?

2. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

1. There will be a 2016 release (they are victims of customer expectations)
    2. It is time to seriously revive this thread, why
    3. Because the SP4 DEBACLE (YES DEBACLE) continues
    4. SP4 is getting better, but each update fixes some things and breaks others

SO HERE WE GO:
    1. STABILITY - the 2016 SP5 will be SkyLake - so do it right this time (in fact, STICK with SkyLake and refine the firmware and OS FOR THIS PROCESSOR).
    2. PORTS - Three Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C, replacing the USB 3 and mini-DP, with one for optional charging); Surface connector (for backward compatibility - ultimately to be dropped for USB-C charging only)
    3. WIFI - FIRE Marvell and go all Intel
    4. SMART FRAME - no bezels when docked or attached to type cover
    5. BATTERY/KEYBOARD - optional solid base keyboard with more battery
    6. PEN - internally stored capacitive stick pen with big pen an accessory
    7. TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST, TEST (or at least use it once or twice themselves before release, because I don't know of a single person who didn't have one or more of all of the problems we've suffered through; surely if they had used it at least once, they would have known it was not ready for prime time)
    MAYBE NUMBER 7 SHOULD BE NUMBER 1

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...maybe that mean no Surface device at all within 2016...>>

...I'm perfectly OK with that. I think the annual update cycle is actually hurting Microsoft, as illustrated by the many small (and, I guess, not so small) issues that each generation of Surface has faced...

alextrela182 likes this.
  5. dstrauss

The market won't let them get away without a refresh, and the looming success of Thunderbolt 3 docks (Dell has a good one for the XPS series, and the Blade-type external video boxes would be a great option for gamers) will mandate at least a Thunderbolt upgrade.

I don't really expect them to adopt my mandatory "list" but they could easily drop USB 3 and mini-DP for 2-3 Thunderbolt 3 ports with little design change. I also strongly believe they MUST replace Marvell - WiFi has been a problem in every release of the Surface Pro (and I've owned all four generations).

The design (size, weight, shape) of the SP4 is near perfect, so refinement should be the name of the game (think MacBook Pro and MacBook Air - it has been centuries since they changed) but you refine within that framework. That's what I want to see from MS - especially with the capacitive stick and smart frame changes. There's no reason they couldn't do these things.

AND FIX MY FAN - it is running full blast again and all I have open is Outlook and this browser window...

OR - they could just merge the SP and SB lines by putting a kickstand, more battery, and one Thunderbolt 3 port in the clipboard, use a type cover with the keyboard/dGPU base being optional, and call it a day.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  6. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well actually if MS released SP5 with Skylake under the hood only few months ahead of new Intel CPU generation its deal breaker to me.

Intel never delivered until now all that high expectation with the announcement of Skylake architecture.

I don't think a refresh revision of Skylake will bring all that Intel said one year now.

No matter of that Windows 10 was not ready for maximize performance and reliability or failed to optimized drivers and OS to work at maximum level with the Skylake.

I think better time to released is after RedStone 2 upgrade of OS.

But a really liked the idea of merging Surface Book and Pro to one ultimate device that will be king of the King in mobile computing:p

Sent from my iPad Air 2

7. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Dear Dstrauss,

[​IMG]

I had this idea/image in my head about two years ago but never carried it out because my photoshop skills are terrible. Today is the day I finally get this off of my mind. Also there's a Lake and you're going up into the Sky so ... so yeah! All three processors which were pretty mythical to us back then in 2014

[​IMG]

"Ask Not What Your Country Can Do For You. Ask what you can balance on top of this tablet"
    - Panos Panay circa 1997

[​IMG]

Dstrauss, we want you to know that we are all routing for you and that we hope you find Tablet PC peace in your heart.
    [​IMG]

Tigerlily is in it.
    Kind of. Should have put soh5 and Joes in it, their avatars fit well in a forest/medieval setting

Don't judge me on Kuma! Dark hair fits well with the dark nun clothes.

8. dstrauss

This goes down as one of the BEST posts ever in the Tablet PC Review Forums, even if I am the subject of the joke...

But Kuma as a nun...really...

darkmagistric, Bronsky and JoeS like this.
  9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Think of me as the Devil's nun.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

10. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

MS should release a 'Microsoft Surface Pro PRO 5'

Nice.

11. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

This. is. amazing. ...

Bronsky likes this.