What Do You Want in the Surface Pro 5

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Aug 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well let's start over again.
    1. Two USB C Type B 3.1 thunderbolt support or 1 USB C Type A plus 1 USB C Type B 3.1 thunderbolt support and maintain dedicated charging port.
    2.Intel Smart Frame.
    3.DDR4 Ram support.
    4.Real SSD NVMe PCIe with performance 2000 read and 1500 write.
    No more crappy Samsung drive.
    5.Fingerprint reader at the tablet just like Huawei MateBook or ThinkPad X1 not at the optional type cover.
    6.A power cover option with built in battery for those want battery life-battery life-battery life.

7. Improvements-improvements -Improvements in Windows 10 and tablet mode and adding useful feature from 8.1 and iOS or android also(for example double tap to wake up screen from sleep-widget support on start screen(aka lock screen)-more customizable Notification Center and of course interactive live tile.

No more compromise.

We want the ultimate surface tablet ever made and ultimate Windows 10 OS.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  2. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

1) USB-C with thunderbolt 3 support
    2) GPU dock. Reasonably sized black box with some ports and something like Nvidia 960m.

3. r11

r11 Scribbler - Standard Member

Any1 requested OLED screen yet ?

Make the type cover few mm thicker and stick 4-5 hrs-worth of battery in there.

Bring back the 2nd pen button.

Bring back the Metro IE or give us full screen and full set of swipe gestures in Edge ( W10 )

Swype-like on-screen keyboard (W10) - enough of the pecking already !

alextrela182 likes this.
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I think so. It would look amazing, but many people say that things like the task bar and desktop icons will likely cause burn-in. I'm imagining a smart frame would also leave a mark because pixels in the virtual bezel region wouldn't age as much. If screen replacement could be done for $100 I would chance it though, because video on OLED should look spectacular.

Sent from mTalk, a great Tapatalk alternative

5. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Any idea how big a of a problem the burn in problem really is?

In my experience burn in (or the lesser image retention) tends to be an overhyped problem. I ran into all kinds of warnings with research for my Plasma (RIP plasma tech) TV purchases, and it never ended up being an issue in my use (which included a heavy amount of usage as a computer monitor).

I haven't noticed any problems with my OLED phone (GN4).

Bronsky likes this.
  6. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Since Lenovo using in New Yoga Thinkpad OLED panel I'm pretty sure they've find a way to eliminate the burning issue.

It's more common on old OLED like Galaxy s2.

As much time you are using and having the most the possibility to have burn in issue.

You can find several report on Internet via search.

I do have s6 edge but I'm not keeping a smartphone over a year so probably not going to deal with burning issue

Sent from my iPad Air 2

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I don't personally. I wish I knew, because I kind of want an X1 Yoga with OLED screen. :D

Sent from mTalk, a great Tapatalk alternative

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Mine either in the GN5. Love the OLED screen on my phone. It is incredible.

9. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

So what do folks think will power the SP5? As I posted before, the next in line will be "Kaby Lake". It it is a "tick", then we should expect to see fewer "hard computer science problems". But there will be less potential for greater gains in battery or computing performance.

For those that remember, what took so long with the SP4? Was it Skylake or something else?

10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

While I think they rushed Skylake out too early given all the buggy driver issues....The massive delay of the Broadwell gen and odd release date of the Pro 3 are more to blame for the 15 month or so gap between the Pro 3 and Pro 4

Despite the Pro 1 hitting in February 2013 ....the Surface RT was released in October 2012....since it was the first gen its likely Microsoft possibly envisioned a October release for the Pro as well but just couldn't get it together in time....and given the release dates of the Pro 2 & Pro 4...the Month of October seems to be the common denominator for Surface updates. So assuming the Pro 1 was delayed from October.......the Pro 3's June release leaves it the odd man out.

Surface RT 1 - October 26 2012
    Pro 1 - February 9th 2013
    Pro 2 - October 22nd 2013
    Pro 3 - June 20th, 2014
    Pro 4 - October 26th, 2015

Since Microsoft used essentially the same Haswell gen of cores for the Pro 2 & Pro 3........its very likely the Pro 3 could have been held and released October 2014 with a Broadwell core.......but Core M aside that whole Broadwell gen was so massively delayed, Microsoft might not have been able to acquire Broadwell in time for an October release.....since they already had the Surface Pro 3 with Haswell kind of already done....and the device design changes were quite significant aside from the internal chipset.....they could either release a Haswell Pro 3 in June 2014 as they did....or hold off and release a Broadwell Pro 3 until March 2015. But with Skylake hitting so soon afterwards and most other OEMs skipping Broadwell.....I think Microsoft made the right choice and released the Pro 3 early.

b52hbuff likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.