What Do You Want in the Surface Pro 5

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Aug 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spinedoc77

spinedoc77 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I always wondered why someone on a very high professional level would be so adamant against spending a few minutes of time streamlining their setup in order to use a much more powerful device? I understand this from a soccer mom's point of view, but not so much from someone who relies on this for a living. Please don't take this as me calling you out, it's just interesting to me. If you truly find the IPP fits all of your needs then disregard this, it sounds like you have the right tablet. But if you feel in any way that the surface pro might offer you more functionality, whether it's the use of full photoshop or something else, then why short change yourself?

PS I don't disagree with you at all, but at the same time the windows platform is improving in this regard. Look at the recent enhancements to photoshop for touchscreens and the surface pros.

Utan-chan likes this.
  2. Count Vertsalot

Count Vertsalot Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, there's two things that I consider when I try a tablet device. Does it perform well hardware-wise and does it perform well in hands-on functionality. The Surface products have the hardware, but actually using it left a lot to be desired. The iPad Pro is a cheap (comparatively to the Surface Book) sketch pad I can use on the couch and on the go. It's not by any means what I really want, but it works well enough to buy one to me. I can at least do some work on it without being annoyed while using it. If Microsoft announced tomorrow that they fixed what I think needs fixing I'd have a Surface Book the next day, but I'm not spending that much while hoping something happens.

3. dartho19

dartho19 Pen Pal - Newbie

I want a thunderbolt3-able connector (just lile the docking connector for the surface book) that can be used to plug an external docking station with pcie support for external gpus or other expasion cards. This can made the surface pro 5 a truly desktop replacement, if the kaby lake/cannon lake intel processors does have 4C/4T configuration for the 15w parts... If i'm not wrong panay said that the new cooling system in the surface pro 4 is able to dissipatr more than just the 15w required for the skylake U processors

4. kornchild2002

kornchild2002 Scribbler - Standard Member

Battery life, battery life, battery life! At this point all I really want is a device that I can use to watch movies, surf the internet, and play a few casual games from the app store all while retaining a 10-12 hour charge. This is one area where MS seems to have taken a step back with Windows 10 (my Surface 3 went from lasting ~9 hours on a single charge to 4 hours) and it has angered me so much that I've stopped using my Surface. I'm not using a different notebook and it's giving me 10 solid hours of internet surfing and a whopping 15 hours of video playback. Granted, the notebook is larger but there's no reason why MS can't come up with a similar solution for the Surface line. I'm not talking about spending an extra $500 on the Surface Book either.

Utan-chan and alextrela182 like this.
  5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Pen needs second button back. One button plus on/off eraser is a huge step back. SP3 pen allowed you to erase with full pressure sensitivity with press of a button. SP4 pen make you flip the pen around and "awards" you with 1 level of pressure eraser. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUuuuuuu....

Utan-chan likes this.
  6. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Bring the stylus up to the Penabled standard.

And => 14" screens.

The End.

~~~

Detailed instructions: You can keep the stylus edge accuracy; that's good! BUT lose the battery somehow; you can use internal charging if you want. Just kill the last little bits of lag and make it pass all the standard drawing tests in major art programs. (Without the help of Manga Studio's brush stabilization cheats). And give it enough programmable buttons and erasers to satisfy users. Oh. And please get that cursor to track correctly. That's just embarrassing.

Microsoft, I applaud the initiative and the gumption needed to buy N-Trig and take it upon yourselves to push tablet computing forward, but sadly, by the time you've cleaned up the inept mess left behind by that lousy little lollipop company, you'll have invested enough time and resources to have come up with your own working solution.

Or you could always go back to licensing from Wacom.

Heck, license from Apple.

But until you fix that cart, for my purposes, the otherwise amazing Surface line is stuck in little league T-Ball.

And => 14"

A sheet of printer paper. A clip board. That size exists because it works. We talked endlessly about the paperless office, but we never managed that one vital step; replicating paper. We got close with Bill Gate's first run at tablet computing, but the technology was just too thick and heavy. We've come a long way since then. It's now possible to make digital clip boards which don't weigh much more than actual clipboards. We're there. Let's do it already.

Tablets are not phones. If people want small, they'll pull out their phone. If people want fluff media consumption, they'll pull out an android or apple toy. The Surface line, if I've been following all of this correctly, is supposed to be powerful and useful. A sheet of printer paper is a useful size.

A postcard is whimsy.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Dear Mr. Nadela:

Please buy Wacom...pretty please...

mathartist and Utan-chan like this.
  8. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Battery life X 10000000000000.
    No more compromises.

Sent from my iPad Air 2

Kumabjorn likes this.
  9. Utan-chan

Utan-chan Pen Pal - Newbie

^This pretty much. Can't stress enough. I understand Microsoft needed to trim some weight off the Surface somehow, but considering how the Galaxy Note phones can be so thin with Wacom EMR (not even AES), it's no excuse to switch to N-trig unless it has some tricks up its sleeve that convinced Microsoft to buy them in the first place...

thatcomicsguy, mathartist and Bronsky like this.
  10. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

After trying the iPad Pro MS can keep to the same screen size. The iPad Pro's HUGE.

A docking type battery like the HP Envy 13/HP 2470p. The Pro is a pro device so give people pro options (I'm aware that many of the optins might never be used but there you go. Kickstand is an issue to work through.

http://www.hexparts.com/assets/images/prodimages/rx932aa.jpg

11. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I would like to see a new keyboard, it could be an extra option. It would have key tops containing e-ink and some software in the keyboard that recognizes when you switch language. The keyboard would adapt and the keys would switch to reflect that change. I believe that the e-ink past is now thin enough that it would let backlight though and the key would be visible in the dark.
    That would also work so that the top row could switch between multimedia control and function keys.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

12. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

Now that we've turned a page in the SP4 stability/functionality with the latest drivers...

What do you want in the SP5? What do you think will really change?

I was looking at what the next CPU might be:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaby_Lake

...seems rather incremental.

So now that SP4 is living up to the initial announcements, what do you want to see in the SP5?

I'm not sure that Thunderbolt is a big issue to me. I am typing on my docked SP3, with several USB peripherals attached. I'm used a miniDP connected screen. So I'm not sure how Thunderbolt port would be an improvement.

I would like to see another power cover accessory or a slightly large case to accommodate a bigger battery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.