What Do You Want in the Surface Pro 5

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Aug 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What @Count Vertsalot is describing is the reason the Modern UI was created for Windows 8. Unfortunately, because devices that run Windows have access to actual applications, there was never an incentive for developers of those products to create new dumbed-down versions or alternative UIs which would be sold for a fraction of the price of the traditional desktop software. Apple is now facing a similar situation where OS X developers are wondering aloud how they will support the iPad Pro given the limitations of the App Store.

However, I also think the good Count overstates the problems in Windows. Many desktop applications like Clip Studio Paint, ArtRage and even Photoshop CC 2015.1 have evolved to allow a significant amount of touch (or at least pen) control. Even on the most crowded UI, you will find an Undo button you can tap with a pen. There are also Modern apps like Sketchable that rival anything on iOS.

Lastly, it's incumbent upon developers like ZBrush's Pixologic, not Microsoft, to update their software to adapt to new interaction models. If Adobe can introduce its own on-screen modifier keys, every major developer can do so as well.

thatcomicsguy and Utan-chan like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Since my artistic ability ends with stick figures, I will leave it to you experts to decide relative platforms. I do know one thing though - the iPad XL is a mere shadow of the Surface Pro 3 as a computer/tablet, and can only imagine that gap widened with Surface Pro 4 (if only they had used smart screen technology to give us 13" in the existing form factor).

Likewise, I test drove the Apple keyboard, and anybody who claims it is as good or even better than the Surface Pro 4 Type Cover is lying...

Utan-chan likes this.
  3. Utan-chan

Utan-chan Pen Pal - Newbie

Don't you mean Ctrl+Z? Also, there are dozens of on-screen hotkeys programs out there, notably Tablet Pro aka TabletPCMouse and RadialMenu, and they work universally with any program, so you can customize your own workflow.

4. Count Vertsalot

Count Vertsalot Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry, yes I meant ctrl+z. I know all about the hotkey stuff and they've come a long way since the Surface Pro 3 when I last tried them. I'd just rather expensive software work out of the box than rely on the good graces of a small developer. It's probably going to happen one day since everything is moving towards being mobile. I still think Microsoft should develop some sort of standardized platform for tablet interactivity. If every company does their own thing then we'd have to worry about a random Windows update breaking something. Being able to designate an area in Windows for hotkeys by default would be cool. Being able to download an official hotkey plugin for that area for each software would be even cooler. Then all the devs have a common ground to design for.

5. Utan-chan

Utan-chan Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree. Too bad Microsoft's main priority is still business users and the only thing tablet-ish about windows 10 computers are in name only. UX design-wise, I think Windows 8.1 got the tablet part very well. But Microsoft switched focus with a CEO change and that is apparent with Windows 10. I really miss the Charm Bar and the Task Switcher, haha. Hopefully they will improve the UX for the tablet portion of Windows 10 soon and they have a year to do so. If they don't make it with the next iteration of the Surface lineup, many artists will probably jump ship to the iPad Pro 2. They have proved themselves to cater to the artist crowd with the much improve new Surface Pen, so i hope they will take the Surface further in their next generation. I mean, look, they already have the technology developed in house. All they need now is the execution and they can easily dominate the market, lol.

alextrela182 likes this.
  6. SAM 2013

SAM 2013 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I had one of those a 2710. Mine had a snap on DVD burner and you could stack a battery too

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  7. SAM 2013

The Courier....

Utan-chan likes this.
  8. SAM 2013

When does it ship, 2082?

9. SAM 2013

You can test and test to anticipate problems w/ a product.
    But the ultimate test is when you release the product to the public.
    They will figure out how to break your perfectly engineered rock...

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You are such an optimist...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.